Why would one have $5K+ gear into $100 Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

My opinion? You did very well on the TT and the receiver. Upgrade the speakers and you’ll have a very good sounding system.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

That was my point earlier. They're probably getting a decent result; just not the whole picture, or not quite as hi-rez as someone with (say) well-matched $1-2k speakers in the same system.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They've already spent a ton of money. Just not on the component that actually reproduces sound.

4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

IMO $5k in this hobby is not a “ton of money” and no speaker ever produced sound all by itself.

5. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I agree. I'm upgrading the mid-bass drivers to see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll be on the hunt for something more suitable.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

It took me more than 50 years to finally get the 'dreamy, luscious, hard hitting' audio system I have today. It sounds sublime when the LPs and CDs are mastered, mixed and EQd well - I'm in 7th Heaven when they are.

Many permutations from 1964 until now.

scobb likes this.
  7. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

timztunz likes this.
  8. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

No doubt about either statement.

9. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

I've had amps that improved the sound of my speakers. But I've had speakers that improved the sound of my system way more. Speakers first, then everything else.

Dennis0675, beppe, Helom and 3 others like this.
  10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

So is your Rega RP6 a pe**s extension, I didn't think so, do you?

scobb likes this.
  11. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

No idea if you're calling my TT crap or calling it good. It's a decent mid level TT but I love it. Every piece of equipment I have is used and bought with much patience and waiting until I got a steal IMHO. I wish I would've had the money to buy everything off the shelf but that's not the case. The only reason I posted what equipment I had is because of the rules here that your posts can be removed if you didn't. Not my rules, but I'll play along.

12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

My Threshold amps and TDA 1541A CD players sound pretty good through my NHT Super Ones. (with ENTEC subwoofers).

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You are going to be called out for making assumptions about people. You aren't alone. We all do it now and again. Best to avoid assuming the worst. If we all met up for a drink and then swung by one of our places to spin some discs, then we'd almost certainly all have a great time.

SirMarc, BIGGER Dave and dkswaff like this.
  14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Do you enjoy your system? As is? I'm sure you do. Will you upgrade the speakers at some point? You might. Will you get a huge improvement? Likely. Does this mean that you MUST upgrade? Nope. Does it mean that others who pursue far better sound quality are trying to prove something or otherwise wasting money? Nope.

15. Pastafarian

Well I wasn't making any judgement but as you observed I was pointing out this is just opinion and not a competition, I think it's a very good turntable I'd be very happy to have one, but only if my % allowance allows it.

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The longer I've been in this hobby, the more convinced I am that there is a branch that is devoted to the gear mainly out of the pleasure of the hardware for its own sake. I love good equipment, old and newish, but if I were starting out today, I doubt I would have invested the kind of money I have in gear.
    That isn't to say I don't hear the difference. I'm not a naysayer in terms of the high-end.( Far from from it, I've been in this cult of high end for decades and am weary of it).
    Maybe I'm in a mood right now-- that happens---but a simple, low maintenance system with access to music through the stream might be the sensible approach, both in terms of money spent and value returned.

SandAndGlass, Done A Ton and scobb like this.
  17. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

Some bonehead on FB recently made fun of me because I have ADS 810's. I promptly dropped out of that FB group. Who needs that kinda crap?

JNTEX likes this.
  18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

We need the folks who churn through pricey gear. They are missing out on discovering music, but in their minds I am missing out on dozens of interesting pieces of gear released every year.

Local streaming (hard drive) is where I'm headed. Been there before though. Didn't spin a CD for about 3 consecutive years at one point (only to rip). I'll get back soon. Audiophile computer front end is arriving!

19. Pastafarian

Here you go why change be yourself $4250
    dCS Network Bridge network player

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

21. Pastafarian

My friend works for a dCS dealer & he speaks very highly about this (I'm concerned you're not spending enough:evil:)
    Naim ND5 XS review

many choose it above the dCS

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The NAIM equipment is not as well represented here in the States as it probably should be.
    I've only just started playing with digital for the first time since it's introduction and I'm quite surprised at how good it is, even with the modest pieces I'm using right now. As to spending enough, don't worry--

23. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I've seen guys using mega buck amps and sources with $40/ea Fostex drivers in DIY cabinets.

People have different listening priorities and system goals. He might really like something those $79 speakers do and his system goal was the maximize those positives.

bootbox likes this.
  24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

With a headphone system it makes complete sense to me for someone to have $5K to $10K in upstream gear just to drive headphones you can get for under $300 (or $100 used). A headphone like the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 is worthy of having $5K-$10K in gear driving it.

I'd much rather have a $4K tube amp with Sennheiser HD650 headphones than a $300 headphone amp driving Focal Utopia ($4K) headphones. The HD650 system will sound better in the ways that audiophiles care about. The HD650 driven by tube amps (or some select hybrids) in the $2K to $5K range is absolutely amazing in ways that you've never heard a headphone sound like before. You can't replicate that with uber-expensive headphones driven by mediocre electronics.

My own system is that way. I've spent a lot more on headphone amps and source. Most of that spent on the amp. I still need to do a suitable turntable setup, and that's going to add even more to the gear cost.

SirMarc and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Who knows why anyone does anything when it comes to this hobby? You would think that regardless of the details of one's system, their gear has been accumulated due to their love for music. But sometimes when you see someone spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on gear while making thousands upon thousands of posts on audio forums talking about nothing but their gear you've got to wonder just how much music they're actually enjoying (or even really listening to for that matter). Conversely, if someone is happy with inexpensive speakers and spending enough time enjoying listening to music played through them that they haven't even noticed this thread then more power to 'em as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.