Wilco - A.M. & Being There Deluxe Editions (Dec. 1, 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raf, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How are the Being There CD's compared to the original CD release (talking main album)?

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

My question as well.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I got the limited edition (colored vinyl) LPs for both A.M. and Being There. I also got the 5-CD set for Being There. But I've only listened to AM so far, mastered by Chris Bellman and sounds very good! I'll try to report back more when I have time to listen.

4. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

It was the first CD title where I noticed loudness, as it was significantly louder than any other in my small collection at the time. I know the old HDTracks version did nothing on that end. So I'd be curious if the new deluxe CD or HDTracks is any different.

It was also perhaps the 1st CD title that I was glad to have on CD though, as I played the hell out it!

I did get A.M. as that's an album I like more now than I did when it debuted, which I heard a few times but never bought. I mainly know the songs from live shows so it's great to go back to the source.

art likes this.
  5. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i just want to know the consensus so i can know whether to sell my old CDs or not.

6. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Do the vinyl reissues come with download codes for lossless? Also I think the Being There vinyl has less bonus tracks than the CD right? Is there a DL code for the missing songs or does one have to buy the vinyl + the CD if they want all the songs?

7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I picked up both (CD), haven’t had a chance to sit down and listen to them. So I can can only talk about the packaging. Being There is a bit more thought out (3 different disc sets in a box), but AM is a fine package. My only issue with the liner notes is there is no information on the bonus tracks at all. I found that a little weird.

Doc Wilco likes this.
  8. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

CB in the deadwax is always a pleasant surprise!

9. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Any vinyl purchasers can confirm if there are or are not download codes for lossless files of all the songs on the CD versions?

10. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

Kinda worked up that I have not received my pre-order CD bundle of these reissues. No shipping confirmation, no tracking numbers, no word from the Wilco on-line store. I don’t have a brick-n-mortar record shop close by so I tried to be a good citizen and order directly from the band, but I feel burned. Saw some promotional pins that are being made available to those who purchase at independent record shops. Never feels good to pre-order and still not have it in-hand after the street date passes.

11. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Any comments on how the new vinyl A.M. sounds relative to the 2009 reissue? How does Bellman's cut compare to the 2009 remastered cut? How is the pressing quality? Thanks very much to anyone that can provide some perspective.

12. Williambear

Williambear "X is for LA punk bands."

I don't have high end gear, but I preferred the sound of the original CDs a tin bit to the remaster (though most of the time they sounded identical to me). The Troubadour concert is a definite improvement over the circulating cassette copy.

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

No download codes in either of my vinyl sets unfortunately. Both sound amazing though.

Doc Wilco likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct, no download codes of any kind available with the vinyl.

I feel dumb, but I can't remember if I already owned the 2009 reissue of AM or not. Will try to check tonight to compare.

15. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I think the recent reissue wins, it has more warmth, depth etc. The sides are shorter, 3 of the 13 songs are moved to the 2nd LP, this probably helps.
    Pressing quality is excellent: silent, flat etc.

Cassius and Doc Wilco like this.
  16. Doc Wilco

Doc Wilco Active Member

Just loved Being There deluxe... Hope they keep on releasing more "deluxe" editions... Please if someone knows something regarding the pressing info, let us know

17. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Are all common editions of both albums on vinyl colored? Saw them in the store, resisted the urge to get them until I knew a little more. It's not noted on the stickers, and Discogs only has a colored vinyl entry for A.M. and black vinyl for Being There was noted as limited to 15K.

18. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

My A.M. 2lp from 2017 is black.

No colour is mentioned here:
    Wilco - A.M.

John Bliss likes this.
  19. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

When these reissues were announced, I had convinced myself I didn't want them, as I already had both albums on CD, and plenty of rarities from the era in the Alpha Mike Foxtrot box set.

But last week while driving I listened to Steven Hyden's interview with Jeff and John on his podcast, Celebration Rock, and now I'm tempted to get both reissues!

The older I get, the more I appreciate quality essays in liner notes. Case in point: Amanda Petrusich's essay in the new Dylan Bootleg Series album, Trouble No More. Is there an essay in the A.M. reissue, or just the Being There one?

20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I purchased both titles but only got around to listening to Being There for now. The outs/ demos etc, could be a stand alone disc. It's further proof of Tweedy and company's talent and their overflow of ideas. You won't regret buying this even if you only have a passing interest in Wilco.

John Bliss, Crispy Rob and Zeki like this.
  21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

How about the essay, though? I have Being There, and agree with what you say about a stand alone disc, but have just listened to A.M. Deluxe by streaming ...so have no idea whether there's an essay or not. (Question posed by @jordanb87 )

jordanb87 likes this.
  22. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

John Stirratt wrote an essay/ 4 page liner notes for AM.

jordanb87 and Zeki like this.
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks!
    Yeah, listening to those two deluxe releases, and then the Mavis Staples record...Tweedy had a great 2017.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Can you tell me who is singing When You Find Trouble, the never heard before Uncle Tupelo song? And who wrote it?

I heard it's Ken Coomer on vocals (never heard who was song writer) but just wanted confirmation. Uncle Tupelo did covers, but never originals outside of Farrar/Tweedy/Heidorn. So am curious.

25. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

I'm 95% sure it's John Stirratt. In the linernotes John talks about how the UT guys were kind enough to help him record that song.

Zeki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.