Wilco - A.M. & Being There Deluxe Editions (Dec. 1, 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raf, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks. It sounded close to Stirratt, but just a bit different to me. If it says they helped him record the song, then that's pretty clear it's him (and not Coomer).

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I picked up the AM reissue and heard this. Two things struck me...

1) If this is credited to Uncle Tupelo, I guess that Jay Farrar is on this (there are no musician credits, but the track has drums, bass, fiddle, guitar and organ so potentially five musicians are playing)? If so, that means Jay's appeared on a Wilco release. Hell has truly frozen over.

2) Listening to the John songs on the reissue, I'm glad that the prospect of him occupying a second songwriter/vocalist role in the band (which was initially considered) never came to fruition. I like 'It's Just That Simple', but these other songs lumped together are quite boring (though they're perfectly nice individually). I guess The Autumn Defense means that he has his own outlet now, thankfully.

bonus likes this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Fans tend to hold grudges longer than the individuals involved, I think.

I agree with you. Both on "It's Just That Simple" and the boring part of this new one. But releasing it as part of the Deluxe is appreciated.

bonus likes this.
  4. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I prefer the original Being There CD. I originally thought the remaster was better as the vocals are clearer but after repeated comparisons I realised that this had been achieved by boosting the upper mid range and treble. This gives some tracks a glassy colouration and makes everything sound slightly more artificial and more fatiguing to listen to. The remaster is slightly louder but I think the original is already too loud. Both versions were mastered by Bob Ludwig so I'm not surprised by what I've heard.

ceddy10165, Crispy Rob and bmoregnr like this.
  5. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

love Wilco, have essentially every released, but I join the crowd against "It's Just That Simple" and any progeny or similar things ... I'll probably pass on this one

6. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Just received coloured vinyl deluxe versions of these albums. Decided to take the plunge as there was a 25% off at the Wilco store. They sound great but unfortunately disc 2 of AM and disc 1 of Being there are quite badly dished.

I was wondering if there is a consensus regarding the best sounding vinyl version of AM and Being There ?

7. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Without extensive A/B testing, I’d say these reissues are the best sounding. I had an original of Bring There and a reissue of AM and these new BG remastered vinyl sets were my favorite

timnor likes this.
  8. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

In no way are the other vinyl issues of either album with the CDs bad. I'd say the new ones get the edge. I have both. I have a modest-mid setup so others with higher end equipment may have a different point of view. I have not heard the original A.M. on red vinyl.

timnor likes this.
  9. John Bliss

One little tidbit about the other Being There. The CD included has the album all on one CD. Not sure if it was ever sold commercially that way originally. The vinyl sounds very nice. It can still be had for reasonable price in new condition for those who don't care about bonus tracks or colored vinyl, etc.

Wilco - Being There

10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

any news about new wilco deluxe editions this year?

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Tweedy has a new solo album out next month, so I doubt they'll want to compete that with Wilco reissues.

12. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I've been wondering if we would see any deluxe reissues this year. I agree it does not seem likely. I seem to remember that the AM and Being There reissues had a fairly long gestation period. I thing Jeff Tweedy did a lot of interviews leading up to them. Since he does have the solo record coming out and the book (with small tours for each), I can't imagine him having the "PR" time to promote any archive releases this year.

I wonder if the next round will see both Summer Teeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I could see an argument that YHF get it a stand alone archive release since it has a lot more cultural "presence" than Summer Teeth (I realized this in the past couple of weeks after I visited Chicago and posted a picture of the Marina towers on Facebook and a lot more people than I thought would got the Wilco YHF connection).

Alan57 and John Bliss like this.
  13. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

There’s an interview in this month’s Uncut with Jeff; its focused in his upcoming solo album and autobiography (more so). No mention of any further deluxe editions, unfortunately. Some talk of the next Wilco record but nothing has happened as yet (mention of Glenn having lived in Finland for all of last year as one of the reasons they’ve had a hiatus).

John Bliss and Sean Murdock like this.
  14. John Bliss

Summerteeth was '99, correct? An anniversary would be next year. Hopefully they at least do something special for that.

TCP, CharlieClown and Sean Murdock like this.
  15. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

My guess would be, they're recording a new Wilco album this December/January with a release in the early summer once Wilco starts touring again. They're already announced for a festival in Spain and their own festival in June, so more touring in there sounds likely and they'll want something to support. That would leave next fall open for an archive release.
    ...But I was also positive there would be another Tweedy (the band) album this summer. So what do I know?!

John Bliss likes this.
  16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

That’s the reason I haven’t “upgraded” my CD bought on release day to vinyl yet.

John Bliss likes this.
  18. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I only just now am getting around to playing the 2017 CD reissue of A.M. and I think the new mastering sounds absolutely horrible, almost as to be unlistenable. It's tinny, too bright, and there's something else about it that's just off--sort of what I imagine people who can hear reversed polarity must hear when that's happening--and I can't play it. I went back to my original CD copy. I'll keep the reissue for the bonus tracks, but I would never choose it over the original when it comes to playing the album proper.

I didn't notice anything bad about the Being There reissue.

19. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Can anyone from the EU tell me if CB is in the deadwax of these vinyl reissues please @PretzelLogic perhaps?

20. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

@Wild Frank could you let me know if your AM vinyl reissue has "CB" (Chris Bellman) in the deadwax please. I'm making an assumption from your avatar details that yours is the EU release. Thanks.

21. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

Listening to the 2017 CB cut now from the 4LP set. Bueno, bueno - not quite as impressive as the Summerteeth reissue but just a beautiful showing of these songs. One of the topest Wilco albums. Purchase with confidence.

TCP and Sean Murdock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.