Wilco albums rated best to worst

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottenbold, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a cheap copy of the most recent Wilco, "Schmilco", last week, and have played it a couple of times and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I've just been looking at reviews of it on rateyourmusic, and there are lots and lots and lots of three star reviews of it, with the general feeling that it is underwhelming.

I was wondering how folk here would position the albums if ranked from best to worst.

The one I know best is "Being There", which I played lots when I bought it soon after it came out. I wouldn't say I'm a huge Wilco fan, as I have "Yankee..." and "A Ghost is Born" and have never played them more than a couple of times. "Sky Blue Sky" washed over me as well, apart from the superb "Impossible Germany".

But I'd be very interested in your rankings!

linclink likes this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

1. Being There
    2. Summerteeth
    3. A.M.
    4. Yankee Foxtrot Hotel
    5. A Ghost Is Born

Nightfly68, namlook, mds and 3 others like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I had a hard time getting through it even once. It sounds like it was recorded in a basement on a cheap 1990's Tascam Portastudio in one afternoon.

The first 3 1/2 Wilco albums are the best. My favorite is Summerteeth, then Being There, then A.M. I say 1/2 because there's a a couple different bootlegs of very high-quality Yankee Hotel Foxtrot demos/outtakes/etc that I very much prefer to the actual album versions. I'm sure that album will get an expanded reissue at some point like the first two LP's have recently.

A Ghost Is Born is like Schmilco, just so amateurish and poor sounding that I don't think I could stand listening to it more than a couple times. It had some decent songs that were rescued by good live versions on Kicking Television though. Sky Blue Sky is a good nap soundtrack, and I honestly don't remember much about Wilco (The Album) or Star Wars, to be honest. Every time they put out a record, I feel obligated to give it a shot because their first three albums are so good, but I know they're a very different band now, that I can't really connect to at all.

lightbulb, neilpatto and Culpa like this.
  4. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

1. Sky Blue Sky -- their most consistently strong record, criminally underrated. Beneath the apparent softness of it is a man stepping out of a hole he's been in for years. There's a lot more emotion there than meets the eye (or ear). And the band is firing on all cylinders. Key tracks: Impossible Germany, Side with the Seeds
    2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot -- this one is their White Album. A nearly perfect mess. KT: Jesus etc, Poor Places
    3. A Ghost Is Born -- all over the map stylistically, but amazing performances, esp "Muzzle of Bees." KT: Muzzle, Spiders/Kidsmoke
    4. Being There -- the great sprawling double, has a few weak spots. KT: Misunderstood, Monday
    5. The Whole Love -- nice return to form after subpar The Album. KT: Art of Almost, Born Alone
    6. Summerteeth -- chemicals were involved. Ambitious but somewhat cold. KT: Can't Stand It, Via Chicago
    7. A.M. -- Tweedy's sequel to UT's Anodyne. Is this really even Wilco? KT: Box Full of Letters, Passenger Side
    8. Schmilco -- really, Star Wars vol 2. More accessible and sonically more pleasant. But Tweedy is in a sad place. KT: If I Ever Was a Child, Someone to Lose
    9. Wilco (The Album) -- When the premise of the title song is a joke . . . KT: Bull Black Nova, You Never Know
    10. Star Wars -- Yeah it rocks, but it's sonically claustrophobic enough to be unpleasant. KT: Random Name Generator, Cold Slope

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Here's a thread with many answers to this question, including mine:

Rate Wilco Albums In Order

Short version: My favorite is A Ghost is Born. :)

6. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Interesting. There are predominately five consecutive LPs chosen as favorites -- Being There, Summerteeth, YHF, Ghost and Sky Blue Sky. YHF, the middle record, gets the most. Obviously a great peak run from '96 to '07.

bonus likes this.
  7. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Hey Walrus, I agree with virtually nothing you have said but I salute your entertaining contribution. I love albums that wash over you, but each to their own. Great post.
    NP

linclink, jalexander and lesterbangs like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Me too, that's why I love Summerteeth. I wish their more recent albums had that kind of thought and care put into the recording and arrangements. There's so much going on on that one and Being There, and they're a joy to listen to.

Rickchick likes this.
  9. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

PS Tweedy's "Sukierae" is Jeff's best work since "Sky Blue Sky", a real gem.
    NP

linclink likes this.
  10. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

My list too^
    Can we include Mermaid Ave?

lightbulb likes this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Jay Bennett we miss you

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Summerteeth
    Yankee
    Being There
    Whole Love
    Ghost
    Sky
    The Album
    Star Wars
    AM
    Schmilco

13. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

1. A Ghost is Born
    2. Summerteeth
    3. Sky Blue Sky
    4. Being There
    5. A.M.

YFH?
    :thumbsdow

They really have a polarizing catalogue...

14. As someone said above polarising band.I am a huge Wilco fan and my opinion is the direct opposite of yours in every respect.
    My rankings
    1A Ghost Is Born
    2The Whole Love
    3Sky Blue Sky
    4Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    5Wilco-The Album
    6Being There
    7Star Wars
    8Summerteeth
    9Schmilco
    10AM
    If I was going to include Sukeraie it would rank at 3.None of these are less than very good and the first 6 are great albums.

linclink likes this.
  15. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

Summerteeth
    Being There
    AM
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Mostly lost interest after this one)

16. ihadadog

ihadadog Forum Resident

Yankee
    Ghost
    Being There
    Sky Blue Sky
    Summerteeth
    The Whole Love
    AM
    Schmilco
    Wilco
    Star Wars

17. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Being There
    Sky Blue Sky
    Yankee
    A Ghost Is Born
    AM
    Summerteeth
    The Whole Love
    Wilco
    Schmilco
    Star Wars

The general consenus appears to be that Wilco have been on a downward trajectory since Sky Blue Sky

18. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I could live with your rankings. :) I'd swap Ghost with Whole Love though.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  19. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    2. Summerteeth
    3. Being There
    4. Kicking Television
    5. A.M.
    6. A Ghost Is Born
    7. Sky Blue Sky
    8. Schmilco
    9. Wilco (The Album)
    10. The Whole Love
    11. Star Wars

Other than selected tracks, I really only listen to the first five listed above. The last four tend to get a wide berth.

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

That works for me.

soundfanz likes this.
  21. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    A Ghost Is Born
    Being There
    Summerteeth
    The Whole Love
    Sky Blue Sky
    Wilco (The Album)
    Schmilco
    Star Wars
    A.M.

22. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

1a. Summerteeth
    1b. YHF
    1c. Being There
    4. Sky Blue Sky
    5. AGiB
    6. Whole Love
    7. Wilco (The Album)
    8. AM
    9. Star Wars
    10. Schmilco

23. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I've a first press vinyl copy of this great album, and IMO it kicks ****. Excellent sound.

woody likes this.
  24. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I'll admit that I really didn't like AGiB on first listen. The album itself still isn't my favorite. I got into the band through an Uncle Tupelo fan and always gravitated more towards Summerteeth and Being There. Yet the great songs from AGiB became live monsters, so there isn't much reason to go back to the studio record when the live tapes capture the maturation.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

1 - being there - i know it's not as adventurous as some of their stuff but the songs and feel are great
    2- summerteeth - my first exposure to them
    3 - yhf
    4 - a ghost is born
    5 - whole love
    6 - star wars
    7 - schmilco
    8 - sky blue sky

haven't heard wilco the album or am

the wife put me on to wilco. i've seen them live 3 times and to me they seem better live than on album, though i do like the albums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.