Wilco - Being There 5-CD Box Set 4 LP Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Well-Known Member

so, are the masterings the same on the CDs or not?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Dynamic range is the points between lowest and highest volumes on a graph - nothing about what is in between, which is all the detail of a recording...

The other variable there is someone listening on, say a computer with three inch speakers is more likely to be affected by distortion/breakup of overly loud or bassy sections than someone else listening on a full-range floorstanding speaker (see Soundgarden Superunknown remaster)

3. marcb

marcb Forum Resident

It’s pretty funny that someone who doesn’t seem to really understand the whole concept is calling it voodoo.

tms766 likes this.
  4. Jack

Jack Forum Resident

Really diggin these latest Wilcos, sounding fine in the car or at home on the hi-fi set. The live discs sound pristine and the outtakes are sublime. Bring on Summerteeth, hopefully for next year’s Solid Sound Fest.

eelkiller and chickendinna like this.
  5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Well-Known Member

I'm grateful that when our host masters CDs and SACDs he doesn't make them crunchy.

6. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

But Sometimes that’s exactly what the artist wants.

7. Musicisthebest

No doubt. Presumably such artists haven't yet realised why CD sales are falling.

tms766 likes this.
  8. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Not because of that. Just listen to the few top sellers lately. It’s a popular sound. Most buyers don’t care.

These forums are far from being a representative of what sells

Sean Murdock likes this.
  9. Musicisthebest

The top sellers now are selling less than the top sellers a few years ago. It's not the people who buy the CDs that the artists should be concerned about but those who would have bought the CDs had they provided the listener with greater emotional impact by having decent dynamics. I believe people have lost interest in music because it's harder to get involved in it. Many people write off losing their love of music as one of those things, others myself included, find this forum.

southamorican likes this.
  10. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Not accurate at all. People love music as much as they ever did but there has been huge shift in terms of ownership. Most people now just don't want or need to own records or CDs and in some cases even downloads. All they need is streaming; either via one of the monthly sevuces or through Youtube. Music is on all the time.

My 27 year old son never buys physical releases. Occasionally he might download an album or song but usually just works to some of the YouTube playlists.... and he even has access to all of my music but youtube works for him a good portion of the time.

Nobody is losing their love for music.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. eelkiller

eelkiller Technically right but still wrong

I still believe the majority of music lovers do not have the DR Loudness site as their home page. :)

Adam Schellin and Mazzy like this.