Wilco Movie on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mne563, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member Thread Starter

Any Wilco fans out there?

I just today received my copy of "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart", a week ahead of official release! (I ordered from the film web-site and they promised to ship a week early, and by golly they did!)

Double disc, b&w, lots of extra film and songs, great sound and oh, I forgot to mention, it's a thoroughly enjoyable movie, even the wife liked it!

I've actually watched it twice tonight, once with the director/band commentary on, and it's almost as good as the movie without it, it really works both ways.

Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Caught this at a local art house screening a while back. A fascinating look at the making of my favorite album of last year. It also shows why Jay Bennett couldn't work with the band any longer, although there (thankfully) isn't much in the way of Let It Be-style acrimony. I also liked the little featurette "I Am Trying To Make A Film", which is essentially about the making of a movie about the making of an album.

I imagine even people who aren't Wilco fans might enjoy this one.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I got this one delivered yesterday too! I'm a big fan, so getting the release early was nice.

The presentaion is great. Nice anamorphic transfer with bunches of extras. I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but hope to soon.

My only gripe: the sound on the disc is only Dolby Digital 2.0. I realize this is a low budget piece and doesn't necessitate a full-blown 5.1 track, but Wilco at least deserved a 2.0 LPCM track, instead of a 12:1-compressed Dolby Digital version.

This is my favorite rock movie. The "realness" and music-making involved are so genuine, it's a must-see for every rock fan.

4. mne563

Sorry to get technical here, but is there a FAQ that would explain the difference between a 2.0 LPCM track and a 12:1-compressed Dolby Digital sound track?

I don't have surround, and even if this movie was mono it would be enjoyable to me, but I'm sad to know they could have done a higher res sound-track! There's tons of great music here, why not have the very best sound?

That said, I find the sound not bad at all, but you know, if there was something better, I'd want it! :D

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well, let's see if I can explain this properly (crossing fingers).

A Dolby Digital 2.0 signal would be just the front left & right channels that are encoded by the Dolby Digital process. Depending on the sample rate, it can compress the signal by up to 12:1. It can leave a very hollow sound to the music from my experience.

A Linear Pulse Code Modulation signal would typically be a full range left & right signal sampled at 16bit and 48khz. Very similar to CD's sampling rate and sound.

The DD 2.0 soundtrack for Wilco does sound pretty good although I didn't check the sampling rate. An uncompressed LPCM version would have be very nice.

6. mne563

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, this thing sounds ok to me, and we played some of it pretty loud. Like I said, I would have dug it even if it was in mono, I'm just happy they put it out. There's really not a lot of bands around that would make good subjects for this type of movie!

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, indeedy! A hellova movie. I'm grateful for the special attention it got for DVD.

8. Dr. O'Boogie

Dr. O'Boogie Forum Resident

There was no 40 page book in my DVD, did I get ripped? :confused:

9. mne563

Yes you did, it should have been in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.