WILCO NEWS!! Ongoing Thread On All Things Wilco- Which Will Be Updated As Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

The occasion is having freakin Bob Weir on stage as a guest !!

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Only because Oderus is dead.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It was a one-off for four songs (and only two with Weir) in a festival setting where this was possible as a one-time thing. Geez. I don't think anyone there was thinking, "after the past 24 songs that Wilco played in their standing 6-member lineup, I wish they would play the four-song encore without these very talented extra musicians on stage." It may not be perfect from a sound engineering standpoint, but it's also not rocket science to facilitate a guest. Everyone from Paul McCartney to the Stones to the Dead to some cover band in your local dive bar manages to do that from time to time.

wavethatflag and budwhite like this.
  4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Funny, it seemed wacky, overwhelming but potentially exciting when I first read about the thing. You come in and it starts to sound like a cheap and tacky vanity shot. Way to go !

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No, you came in and obviously didn't read the previous posts and links carefully or barely at all, and made a bunch of hyperbolic posts dumping on Wilco for having the audacity to invite a few musically talented guests who happened to be playing the same gig (or live 5 minutes away from the venue) onto their stage. Enjoy the view from your high horse.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    wavethatflag and budwhite like this.
  6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Suggesting six guitars might be a bit much for song forms and playfully adding Wilco could become a Glenn Branca cover band are hyperbolic condemnations now ?
    All the solos have overloaded your sense of humour, man !
    (Should anyone not be familar with Glenn Branca, he's famous for his large-scale guitar ensemble pieces, such as a symphony for 100 guitarists).

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Don't quit your day job. (Also, you left out the part about "cheap and tacky vanity shot", which was hilarious).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Too bad, you obviously need a laugh.

budwhite likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Send in the clowns.

10. gmfeld

gmfeld Active Member

Tomorrow Never Knows, for the aforementioned "6 guitars is too many" encore set. Sounds pretty freaking great to me.

11. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Wilco's version of "Tomorrow Never Knows"!!! I think this first got tossed around during the time they were rehearsing for the all-request/covers show that took place on the first night of Solid Sound 2013. They actually did my personal request (and I'm sure many other folks requested it too), that I repeatedly voted for, "And Your Bird Can Sing" (also from "Revolver"... he/they have covered "I'm Only Sleeping" too) & they even had so much fun that they, no kidding, decided to repeat it & did it twice in a row... filed under "Just when you thought you couldn't love Wilco any more than you already do..."

If all that wasn't enough. I'm a gigantic Richard Thompson fan too, & on the AmericanaramA tour of 2013 Richard ended up one of the opening acts for a leg of the tour. Wilco first performed "Tomorrow Never Know" during the first leg of the tour with Bob Weir, who was in that opening slot then. I was Blessed to see two of the shows where Thompson opened (Clarkstown, MI & Toronto, ON). There were a few shows where he didn't sit in with them, but, at the great majority of them he did.

At at least one show they did an epic, longer "Calvary Cross" (from Richard & Linda Thompson's classic "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" album) as the big feature, but on both nights I saw them the long centerpiece workout was the old Fairport Convention standard "Sloth"- he also sat in on "California Stars" both nights. In Toronto the extra treat was that Feist came out to duet with Jeff on Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" & they performed the old Fairport Convention arrangement of the song, with Richard on guitar and with Jeff & Feist singing the Ian Matthews & Sandy Denny parts.

In Michigan, they closed the show with 4 guitars (Richard, Nels, Jeff & Pat) blazing and Jeff & Richard singing "Tomorrow Never Knows". It was, as beyond words, as the Thompson & Cline interplay on "Sloth" was each night. Richard Thompson's next album, "Still" would be recorded at The Loft in Chicago & produced by Jeff Tweedy. He was at Solid Sound 2015, but was playing elsewhere on Night #1 (the first all acoustic Wilco show ever) & then Night #2 was cut a bit short & the time moved up, due to an extreme storm... and I think they might have had to leave before the closing set on Thrusday when Tweedy played & hosted an all-star parade of most of the performers from the weekend. It was a sad missed opportunity that it didn't work out that were able to find a way to collaborate again at the Fest...but, hopefully in the future. And, it's nice to see them still doing "Tomorrow Never Knows" in their sets!! I got to see a couple other shows on that tour & at the Jones Beach show they closed with "Tomorrow Never Knows" again- this time with Beck, Sean Lennon & Cibo Matto all contributing (5 guitars on that night... Jeff, Nels, Pat, Sean & Beck)...

jordanb87, budwhite, audiotom and 4 others like this.
  12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Wow, I'd like to hear those versions of Cavalry Cross and Sloth. Are they available to download?

linclink, Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I like RT also. A friend of mine took me to one of his shows in '96 and I've got steadily more into his and Fairport's music ever since. I love "Night Comes In" from Pours Like Silver. As far as his more recent stuff, I liked Sweet Warrior and loved Dream Attic (forget the italics it's a pain to do on my phone). Not a big fan of Electric save "Salford Sunday". I have the Tweedy produced one but haven't listened to it yet.

linclink and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I remember seeing that they did Sloth and Calvary Cross with Richard Thompson, and was very envious. I've seen RT several times, but have never seen him do either of those. We did get the Wilco Dark Star->St. Stephen with Bob Weir at the Shoreline Americanarama show, so I can't complain much. I had realized it wasn't their first Tomorrow Never Knows, but didn't realize they had done it more than once before.

linclink likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've been a Fairport fan since getting turned onto them in high school, but it wasn't until '97 or so that I saw Richard solo and got into his solo and Richard and Linda albums. Pour Down Like Silver is probably my favorite. I haven't kept up with most of his releases in the past several years, but like you I picked up the Tweedy-produced one and it is still in the to-be-played pile. Need to make that happen sometime soon, and check out Dream Attic and some of the others.

linclink likes this.
  16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Bill Frisell

if there is anyone that would add small atmospheric guitar without stepping on anyone else it's Bill

Sprocket Henry and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Agree. Frisell can sit in anywhere and anytime he damn well pleases in my book

Sprocket Henry and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. linclink

"Electric" is my fave since "Rumor & Sigh"... "Still" is very good & then some, but I think "Electric" is even better. Outside of that, I still dig his albums, but there tend to be great songs on never less than good albums... but fairly predictable... again lots of great material piles up though... always interested in checking his work out & always amazing live...

chickendinna and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. linclink

I was (I'm sure with many others) really hoping for a Roadcase release of all the many collaborations they did on that tour... Bob Weir, Richard Thompson, Ian Hunter, Beck, Bob Dylan, Beck, Sean Lennon, Cibo Matto, Feist, My Morning Jacket etc., etc. ... but nothing ever came out. I don't know of any downloads...but I'm sure there are Jolly Roger recordings of shows from the tour out there somewhere on the high seas... good luck!!

Graham and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The last time I saw Bill Frisell his percussion accompanist missed his flight and the gig.

with about 10 minutes notice Bill played an incredible set of atmospheric guitar

much like Nels Cline does in some of his jazz outings

there is a video version of this (can't find the link) where Nels plays along to interpretive evolving painting on glass
    pretty neat stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Inkling-Nels...F8&qid=1474407192&sr=8-16&keywords=nels+cline

linclink and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No lineup announced yet, but Solid Sound Festival dates have been announced: June 23-25. My wife and I are seriously thinking of finally making the trip back east for this, the past 3 times our kids were too young to make the logistics work, but this time around it seems a lot more doable.

wavethatflag and linclink like this.
  22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

for anyone who hasn't heard Nels Lovers LP it is fabulous
    larger ensemble - some originals and some interesting and diverse "standards" with eclectic pairings

Michael Leonhart of Steely Dan backing fame does some of the background chart scores.

It is making waves in Downbeat (jazz magazine) and Stereophile and other circles.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    GuidedByJonO))) and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

So with last hour or so of the 27% off Roadcase sale still going, the new one from Utrecht is dated November 9, as in the day after the election. Just a couple of songs in but it feels like it's going to be quite a night.

24. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I was at the show in Utrecht on the 10th, I wish they would put that one up!

On a different note - I was just sitting here listening to the Crowded House album "Time on Earth" and some in some passages Neil Finn sounded eerily similar to Jeff Tweedy. Even the music styling was a bit like where Wilco was a few years ago. Anyone else drawn any parallels between these two bands? Has Jeff ever stated the Finns or Crowded House as an influence?

25. Maanslag

Maanslag Forum Resident

They worked together on a side project, initiated by Neil Finn. It's called 7 Worlds Collide. Part of Wilco, including Jeff, did some songs on this project. It was around 2008 or 2009, so yeah, you could say that there is a connection between Neil and Jeff.

mogambotek likes this.