Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

The opening of The Warmth of the Sun on the 2012 Shut Down Vol. 2 was so harsh I was nearly blinded.

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I buy things I want to hear. I'm not going to boycott because of a car sleeve. To be honest I'd rather have a simple CD in card cover with the essential stuff I want to hear, than one of those shelf-breaking boxsets that feature everything but the kitchen sink which have been appearing in recent years. Those are the ones to boycott, if boycotting is your thing.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  3. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Sorry brain ain't working..Mark I meant.

We might have to disagree with that about Brian. I know people who have worked very closing with Brian so just saying my two cents.

4. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

With the way the "remasters" have been sounding lately, the Pastmasters WH is never going to be topped. We have the best.

bobcat likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Don't forget Kevin Gray's masterings as part of Analog Production's recent SACD/vinyl remasters. If he did Wild Honey, it could beat the Pastmasters.

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think the point is that the regular mono album isn't included here, so if it doesn't get reissued in some other way the standard version will continue to be the 2001 2-fer, which maybe isn't ideal and could probably be improved.

Al Smith likes this.
  7. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

:) Party Unplugged and Becoming the BB's sounded pretty good, imo, fwiw.

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I was speaking more to the idea that they should or could put out a boxed set of all of the 60s albums or something like that. Those albums have been rehashed enough. The 2001 two-fer suffices for the mono mix I think, and even if they had included it on this new "Sunshine Tomorrow", I don't think people who don't like the 2001 mastering would have liked a new mastering much more, as it's one of the same main guys (Linett) working on both.

Maybe after the dust settles and Capitol does what they want with "Sunshine Tomorrow", they can license out the stereo remix to AP to do a Mono/Stereo SACD.

But I don't think BRI or Capitol should be focusing anymore on reissuing the old albums yet again; it's time to work on archival releases.

Mr. Explorer and MarkusGermany like this.
  9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yes, I've talked to a number of folks, and some folks close to Brian have posted online as well. As I said, Brian does have PAs and handlers like any person of that stature would, and they've explained numerous times certain things like why Brian often appears ill at ease on stage (he still suffers auditory hallucinations). His state does require more involvement for those around him. But the idea that his wife and/or manager tell him everything to do has more or less been proven wrong, and frankly even those who still suggest he's "controlled" (sadly Mike Love among them continues to say this) have never suggested that Brian's wife is picking the engineers working on archival BB projects.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I am well aware of this Auditory Hallucinations..Maybe we are talking to different people so haha. Of course he does things himself but I'm saying a vast amount is people suggesting or telling him, you only have to kinda look at his history from his father to Landy, he kinda needs someone to egg him on. But still stand by what I said about his wife/managers influence.

11. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

I am very interested in a stereo remix of Wild Honey, but I just know it's not going to come anywhere close to the Pastmasters edition. Ugh, I'll cross my fingers and wait on the the reviews.

12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Well, one of the problems is that "influence" or "suggestion" is sometimes morphed into "he's controlled and doing things against his will." I don't know which of these you're asserting. If it's the former, then I don't think that's unreasonable. But the assertions that people "around" him are making him do things against his will and/or to his detriment, and/or comparisons of his wife to Landy, then I think that's inappropriate. Landy and his team were criminals. It's nothing like what goes on in Brian's life now. If the assertion is that he has people kind of prodding him to do stuff, or that he delegates a lot of business stuff to other people, then that's true of any number of celebrities and famous music personalities.

Mr. Explorer, supermd and Tord like this.
  13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

A stereo remix is a completely different animal to the original mono mix for numerous reasons. It's an alternate way to hear it. But you can get a pretty good idea of what a stereo remix will sound like, as several songs have already been remixed into stereo for "Hawthorne, CA", "50 Big Ones", and "Made in California."

There is a ton of stuff completely *buried* in the mono mix that can be heard on the stereo remixes. Full-on overdubs that are barely discernible on the mono mix.

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

OK, one guy is dealing with "a rusty spoon into my head and trying to dig out my brain" and you were nearly blinded by a CD.
    Are you guys ok?

15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I never knew listening to music could be so fraught with danger. I have heard of people's ears bleeding and heads exploding too. Think I may take up reading.

16. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm just now getting my sight back. ;)
    Seriously, the harshness, to my ears, comes from what sounds to me like the treble being pushed way, way up in those first few seconds.

Will Harris and Al Smith like this.
  17. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

sweet lord in heaven, i can't hear ANY of you--WHAT HAPPENED?!?

...okay, okay, a little hyperbole can go a long way, but it's disappointing when good music is presented in a way that's less enjoyable to LISTEN to than it could be.

smitquest

18. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

Absolutely! I'd love to hear the material, but I hope it isn't compressed/loud.
    Oh! I was just about to mention that I read a favorable review of Beach Boys Party Unplugged on here, and someone posted that very same comment above, so maybe this will be handled well.

19. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Yeah I agree, tho there can be nice subtle things if the compression is transparent. Some of the newest limiters ( plugin wise) are transparent enough without that horrible sound you get with an L1 or L2 limiters.

20. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

21. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Thats rather sweet price, Can't find the Wild Honey vinyl tho?

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

John Manning likes this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, I don't think so. He's only on three tracks, for obvious reasons:
    Heroes And Villains (the portions from the SMiLE sessions), Vegetables (2nd half/key change...comes from the SMiLE sessions), and Good Vibrations.

Other than that, I do not hear him vocally. And I highly doubt he played on the album...Brian handled the piano and organ, while bass duties were either Carl or Al. I just don't buy the notion of Bruce being around for those sessions in June/July 1967

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. harmony kick

harmony kick Forum Resident

This is backed up by a recent post from Ian on the PS forum who concludes that Bruce was absent during the Smiley sessions as he was in Europe. Seems he wanted to escape the weird scene.

Mr. Explorer and Al Smith like this.
  25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I hear him on Wind Chimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.