Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

That's my favorite one yet! I think I'll replace the cover in my digital library when it is released.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It doesn't make sense why they never used this design idea. It's perfect: a big sun, of the time, and used for a song off Wild Honey...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

AYG is a lovely gem of a tune. Understated and gently produced, but a great example of the kind of pop song Brian could knock out almost in his sleep. Good vocal by Mike as well. Kind of a precursor to his mellow vocal style of "All I Wanna Do" from Sunflower.

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Sounds like Carl all the way through on the chorus to me.

Al Smith and Electric Sydney like this.
  5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I listened to more times to "Aren't You Glad." While I may have been harsh in my original assessment, I do feel that it has a clinical, austere quality that lacks the quirky vibe of the original. It's like the rough edges have been sanded down.

SteveCooks likes this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I would disagree. I'd rather have stereo mixes where stereo can open up the music, and I'd rather they were based on the mono than on something, at best made up 30 years after the fact or, at worst something that sounds easily anachronistic . e.g. I like the stereo mix of Smiley Smile because it has the same overall sound of the mono.

You mean those 'egregious errors' that contribute much to the character of the original and root it in the moment of its creation. c.f the original stereo Sgt. Peppers vs. the 'correctional facilities' version. Easy to call things errors and weakness, when you can also call them defining characteristics and enjoy them for their quirky charm.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I suppose as long as the stereo mix isn't super narrow or super wide.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I agree with those who think the mono Wild Honey was a bit murky. I think this stereo mix makes the song come alive. It's great to hear those horns, the 'doo-doo-doo's' at the end of the chorus, the vocals sound warmer and more present.

You know, if Brian wasn't deaf in one ear.....

9. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Great.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

So a producer should do a "good" stereo mix only if there is an existing "bad" one, but if there is no stereo mix at all, then it does not matter whether the new mix is good or bad?

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

These evaluations are purely subjective. What sounds good to me obviously may sound bad to you and I'm sure nobody sets out to make a "bad" mix. It made sense for Giles Martin to adopt an approach that emulated the mono mix of Pepper more since the original stereo mix (the one that most listeners are likely familiar with) obviously didn't do that and it has sometimes been criticized as being gimmicky or whatever. We've never had a stereo mix of Wild Honey. Why should they try to slavishly emulate the mono mix when we've already had that mix for fifty years? You already have the mix that you're satisfied with here and you're free to stick with it. Other fans want to hear something new and different, something that brings out some of the details in the arrangements more, not a rehash of the mono version.

Mr. Explorer, FJFP, davenav and 4 others like this.
  12. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I like super wide stereo mixes!!

willy, tages, bobcat and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Does anyone know if the Lei'd In Hawaii tracks will be mono or stereo?

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They found a mono reel of the mixed for release but sans-audience fake live Hawaii concert.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Ahh. Guess we still gotta hold on to the stereo mixes of many of these tracks from previous releases.

supermd likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

Of course it matters.

17. pool_of_tears

Anna Lee, The Healer has a similar mellow vocal style.

jwoverho likes this.
  18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

...he might be blind in one eye?? :confused:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I listened to the new mix of AREN'T YOU GLAD 'cause someone made me. All I could say about it was "TURN DOWN THOSE HORNS!!"

rockerreds and Braulio Acosta like this.
  21. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Is this going to be available for download in higher rez?

22. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

That was the best thing that I liked about it. You can actually hear all of the instruments. Amazing what gets buried in the mix in mono recordings.

FJFP, KN65, Sammy Banderas and 3 others like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not buried. Dipped lower in the mono mix, for a reason!

24. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I only want that sloppy edit on "I'd Love Just Once To See You" fixed. it's too jarring.

FJFP likes this.
  25. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I am very happy with what I am hearing and that is what is most important to me.

pdenny, marmalade166, FJFP and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.