Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Steve, you have to admit that Wild Honey had a pretty bad mix, even for mono.
    I do agree that the horns are a little too loud on the new mix, but otherwise I think it sounds fine.

Uncle Ernie likes this.
  2. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Turn UP the darn horns - they're fantastic!!!

3. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Yeah I get what your saying, but I do love me some horns. Always turn them up in my mixes, but that's just moi.

4. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

I've always loved the songs on Wild Honey, but hated the sound quality. It has always sounded like mud--to be polite. And the better my equipment got over there years, the worse it sounded. This new AYG sounds fantastic to me. As does the stereo Darlin' from a few years back. Finally. After all these years. I can't wait to hear the rest. Viva la horns.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think the mono mix of Wild Honey is quite good

Natural E likes this.
  6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Dang! I went to one local CD/book store in Montreal, and they won't have the 2-CD set until July 7. I hope they're the exception.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I do too, but a stereo reworking of the music is long overdue. I'm excited about hearing this new version. The price is right and the music is great.

8. Joel1963

Quite a difference from early in this thread. Great ! :):D

Al Smith likes this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No argument from me

FJFP and Sammy Banderas like this.
  10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

My god this is absolute perfection!

picassoson and oldsurferdude like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You must be a trombone player.

12. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

order a copy yesterday, am looking forward to this... why can't the Beatles do something like this... please, while i am still around...

13. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

seriously, this is going to be on shelves in just a COUPLE DAYS.

anyone think that healthy sales on this might lead to the release of a remastered mono mix on cd in a few months (after the missing "mama says" tapes are inevitably located)?

smitquest

14. MichaelPapelian

MichaelPapelian Forum Resident

Hi Joel,

Which store in Montreal will have the CD? I hate ordering from Google and need the buzz of buying it in a store.

Thanks.

15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Sgt Pepper? Does that not count?

16. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

It does... but just feel there most be so much more, non-Pepper that is :)

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Agreed.

Maybe, if the Pepper box sells well, there will be more.

18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Ha!!

Actually I'm a bass baritone in a chorus. That's almost the same as a trombone player!! :laugh:

AND I did actually fool around with a trombone in my youth!! LOVE those lows!

19. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Really looking forward to getting this. It's been a pretty up and down time for me lately, but this release must fill me with joy. :)

Is it Friday yet?

gramfan and Al Smith like this.
  21. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Very much hoping to be able to walk in to HMV and pick this up on Friday - the LP is coming out the same day isn't it?

wingsoveramerica likes this.
  22. I've always used "muddy" as a term to describe the sound of Wild Honey, though I long since accepted that much of this was a conscious decision on Brian's part. Saying that, while he may have been an early pioneer of the "back to basics" approach that so many of his contemporaries adopted the following year, how much of this album's production was a result of his retreat from using higher tier studios and musicians? I seem to recall it being Carl who once describing Wild Honey as music for Brian to cool out by, suggesting his brother was left burned somewhat after the collapse of the SMiLE project then Smiley Smile failing so badly, taking the same basic aesthetic he'd recently established (partly created by his extensive use of the Baldwin organ and a custom tuned piano) then adding horns to this foundation along with more of a rootsy R&B feel that supposedly engaged Mike a lot more than previous recent musical excursions with either Tony Asher or Van Dyke Parks providing lyrics. Despite managing to engage his colleagues and getting at least two truly powerhouse vocal performances out of Carl on Darlin' and the title track, if not The Beach Boys' soulful cover of I Was Made To Love Her as well, it's heavily documented that Wild Honey was the result of compromise, mainly since a lot of its material was intended for Redwood, later Three Dog Night, who I can imagine would have thrived much sooner had the original plan worked out. Instead, all we can hope for now as fans is for this new remix to provide a different perspective on what did ultimately make it to tape, including over a disc of additional period outtakes that allow us to finally reconstruct the initial running order that was rejected, presumably for not being commercial enough - as if the end product fared much better! While they don't even break 24 minutes in length when combined, those 11 brief songs collectively recorded and released at the tail end of '67 now have the best chance to at least gain a deserved wider following, with the warmer season a far better home for their overall upbeat charm...

23. Joel1963

Hi. The store I went to was Renaud-Bray, and the person serving me said the July 7 date also applies to the bigger CD store Archambault, which I'm hoping is untrue. I'm hoping Wal-Mart will have it Friday.

24. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

Amazon says that the LP comes out on July 21st.

FJFP likes this.
  25. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

"Wild Honey" is my least favorite of all the BB post-Pet Sounds albums, so I'm on the fence with this release. There seems to be a lot of great bonus material, incl. additional Smile-related sessions, so I'm wondering if it might be worth it for those tracks. The price certainly is good. I'm by no means a Beach Boys expert, so I'm wondering if anyone here can make a case for owning this for the bonus tracks. What might be the highlights? Will the live tracks be good? For Beach Boys music, I own all the main albums from Pet Sounds through Holland, the 2-disc Smile Sessions, the DVD-Audio of Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson's Smile, and Pacific Ocean Blue. That said, I'm not an uber-fan. Thanks in advance for any guidance and advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.