Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

"Wild Honey" wasn't particularly well recorded IMO, and this remix isn't going to change that. Having said that, it's going to be great to have it all in stereo.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Do you have the initial track list that was rejected?

3. Wild Honey
    Here Comes The Night
    Let The Wind Blow
    I Was Made To Love Her
    The Letter
    Darlin'
    A Thing Or Two
    Aren't You Glad
    Cool Cool Water
    Game Of Love
    Lonely Days
    Honey Get Home

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Very interesting. Thanks. Do you happen to know if "Game of Love" was recorded as an actual album contender, or for part of the Lei'd in Hawaii scrapped album, as evidenced by the mono reel they almost finished in 1967 that is included on this set? Or did it morph from album contender to "Hey, let's shove it on the live album, 'cause it's good."?

5. I'm guessing all of the songs on that early tracklist were fully recorded in the studio, as I believe the running order was determined from either a handwritten memo or an acetate (sorry for being so vague, but this isn't my field of expertise).

supermd likes this.
  6. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I wanted a stereo mix of "Game of Love," too, damn it! "With A Little Help From My Friends" got one. What gives? :) Ah well. Guess we'll see it on the next career-spanning box set.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So the stereo Smiley Smile is out of print now? I sold mine and was hoping to get a new copy but it seems like it's tough to find now!

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, it is. You'll have to get it used or via Analog Productions. Their SACD or vinyl (mastered by Kevin Gray) is in print.

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Does anyone have any guesses as to who sings lead on "Game of Love?" My guess is Brian.

I'm most excited for this song on this set. I'm excited to hear their take on this great song.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Damn. I wish I held onto these discs. I sold them all off when the AP SACD discs came along. Well, I kept Smiley Smile, but still. I think I barely broke even. Now they're like gold! Harsh sounding gold, but still gold.

So the 2012 series is OOP....and several albums weren't part of it.... and mono Wild Honey is not part of this current campaign. Put it all together and what do you have?

THE BEACH BOYS IN MONO ON CAPITOL BOXED SET
    THE BEACH BOYS IN STEREO ON CAPITOL BOXED SET

Or... THE BEACH BOYS IN MONO AND STEREO ON CAPITOL BOXED SET

If I'm so wrong why are they bugging my office?

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mike

13. aoxomoxoa

I don't want it bad enough to pay $30 for it. Maybe I'll try our classifieds

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Have you heard it or are you guessing?

Edit: Never mind, I found this: VAULTS

15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I've never hear Smiley Smile in mono. Is it nice?

16. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

So who's going to listen to this set for the first time chronologically? Disc 2, then 1? Who's with me?!?

factory44 and coniferouspine like this.
  17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Why would you have sold it? Did someone make you an offer you couldn't refuse? :)

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Yes. The final section of "She's Going Bald" is better in mono, IMO. More guitar strum. I was dismayed to discover that the stereo remix turned down the best part of the song there.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's how I feel about the ending of "Vegetables." They turned down the piano/celeste part at the end. That's my favorite little section of the song. And the wood blocks on "Fall Breaks..." And the thundering bass on the chorus of "Gettin' Hungry."

But we still have the monos. It's nice to have a different view in stereo.

20. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Thanks, but oops!, I meant I've never heard it in stereo!

21. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Yes, the stereo is nice. Thankfully they turned down the guitar strums at the end of She's Going Bald and the piano/Celeste at the end of Vegetables and the woodblocks on "Fall Breaks."

:D

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:wantsome:

:winkgrin:

23. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I'm trying to decide what to do, at the moment. I did the big Smile box in precise order, session by session, a bit at a time, and it was a blast.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Since Wild Honey is my 2nd favorite BB album (and one of my all-time favorites, period), I'll be starting with disc 1 and going from there. Gotta hear this amazing album in s-t-e-r-e-o. :)

25. aoxomoxoa

Not at all. Long story short my hard drive crashed with my copy on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.