Wilko Johnson is cured of cancer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jazz8588, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Fantastic news indeed!

3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Radical surgery was involved: removal of the pancreas, spleen, part of the stomach, small and large intestine, and reconstruction of arteries to the liver.

Just goes to show the resiliency of the human body. And then there's Keith Richards.

5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I bought tickets to his farewell gig - I want my money back...!! :)

gregorya, Dudley Morris and ash1 like this.
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I wish him well, he still has a tough life ahead of him with such an extensive surgical procedure.

7. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

8. Matty

Matty Senior Member

A friend of mine recently recently had pancreatic cancer as well, and he had most of the same organs completely or partially removed.

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but while it's great that Wilko is doing well, it's impossible to say at this point that he's "cured." (And if the doctors said so, shame on them.) It only takes one malignant cell to have metastasized from the main tumor, or to have escaped the surgeon's knife, and the cancer will return. The five-year survival rate for pancreatic cancer is not good, and if it's the exocrine variety, it's downright awful.

I certainly wish him the best, though. I liked his work with Ian Dury.

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

In the last few weeks was just wondering how he was doing.... I hope he has a good time ahead of him; one of the legends of the music business!

Fullbug likes this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Dude should have called Eddie Van Halen, would have been cured without surgery!!

11. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, cured is an emotive word in this context. I'm so pleased for him though. He has been to the edge and faced it with considerable courage.

Dudley Morris and levi like this.
  12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I remember that interview with Howard Stern. From that moment on I knew Eddie was certified loony ...

13. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

In my experience, sadly there is no cure for cancer. I've lost too many relatives and friends to recurrences, some were cancer-free for 20+ years. It is an insidious disease. I wish WJ and all cancer survivors full lives of remission.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:pineapple:
    Great news! What a guy.

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

"Cured" or not, it sounds as if Wilko will be around for a while longer. Maybe he and Daltrey will make some more music together. Their album is still my favorite of the year.

16. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Very good news. Thanks for sharing.

17. serge

serge Forum Resident

wow! hoping for the best

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Incredible news...he beat the unbeatable!

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What's quality of life like with all those parts missing from your inside? Especially dietary.

I've wondered if Keith is still around only because his drugs were relatively free of impurities and his handlers made sure he always had a soft landing.

20. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

great news ! but then again I take it with a grain of salt after what happened with Doug Fieger !

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Fantastic news!

22. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Wonderful news.

23. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Yes! Mine, too. Sad this isn't more of a topic discussed around these parts.

Can't wait to hear the extended release with the concert!

24. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Watched the Julian Temple documentary last night "The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson." As well as being a superb look at mortality, this really was a top notch film, thoroughly captivating. Loved the "Matter of Life & Death" clips and the Bergman style 'interview.'

Wilko, in a pretty frail state after the surgery, says of those months after the diagnosis as the most significant of his life. The ecstasy came from his mortality having been defined, as unlike the rest of us, mortality being the great unknown.

If you like "Oil City Confidential" you will like this - should be able to catch up on BBCi Player.

Django and bibijeebies like this.
  25. UMO

UMO Forum Resident

Just saw Wilco live two months ago. It was a blast! No sign of anything wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.