Will an ottoman affect my listening?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WapatoWolf, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw threads about listening chairs but I am planning to buy new chair AND cloth covered ottoman. Said ottoman will obviously be placed between my chair and speakers. I would think that's gonna affect the sound. Thoughts please!!!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I used one and ended up removing it because it affected imaging.

bluesaddict likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

don't put it in your ear or it will definitely affect any stereo.

jdsher, tkl7, Maccaroni and 12 others like this.
  4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

If it makes you more comfortable, then it's a good thing. Who cares whether the imaging is absolutely perfect if you are not comfy while listening?

5. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I use a small one-- a "foot stool" really-- when one of the cats wants to sit on my lap/legs when I'm listening. I don't notice any imaging problems, though sometimes my legs fall asleep accommodating the damn cats.

SandAndGlass, showtaper and cat9 like this.
  6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Yes, adding an ottoman, and also using a soft couch vs a office/desk type chair make big sonic differences. I do use a two person overstuffed couch, but it is a sonic compromise. I tried an ottoman, then a low coffee table, and just could not accept the further affect on sound they caused.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

If it makes you comfortable then go for it. Comfort is also part of the audio experience (for most). :)

wgb113, SandAndGlass, Jim N. and 6 others like this.
  8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It might affect your hearing if you trip over it.

Doug_B and WapatoWolf like this.
  9. You could always put some room correction bells around the room...

10. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I use a Stressless chair and ottoman.....similar to this.
    Quite "open" in its design and I have found no negative issues with ottoman in place.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

11. WapatoWolf

thanks all for input! i love ottomans and will probably start my listening session with it either behind or beside my chair, then kick back with is as needed.

12. WapatoWolf

I looked into Stressless and clones, but going for a chair with low back. I have an Ikea Poang but its falling apart.

wgb113 likes this.
  13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I agree with those who vote for comfort. For the best stereo, the ideal listening chair is said to be a backless stool. Talk about un-relaxing!

14. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

That's a great option for sure....I wasn't suggesting a Stressless per se......just indicating that an open ottoman vs a solid design one may have less impact on imaging, etc.

Enjoy whatever you purchase!!

WapatoWolf likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

An ottoman is nice but I prefer a manualman.

If you listen to LPs, I'd also suggest one made of vinyl to enhance the sound. :D

Instant Dharma and WapatoWolf like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, of course the transient imaging that normally enters the body through your knees, would be restricted by standing waves created by the soles of your feet, or worse deflected off the soles upwards to the ceiling, risking a further reflection issue. One should read up on the acoustic absorbtion values of pleather, versus rich corinthian vinyl, and treat nearby surfaces accordingly. Then there's the angle of your upper back, directly affecting the angle of the neck, causing the chin to dip slightly, which of course places an extra stress on the chambers of your sinus; this will have an unexpected deterious compaction on secondary bone conduction audio impressions. Consult your local audio dealer for the proper available vibration-dampening foot treatments for your ottoman; they should be silicone-free, with live rubber construction, in a half-spherical design, attached to the bottom of your furniture by locally-sourced virgin Velcro, for the most home-static-compliant conditions. Further grounding of the Velcro is tricky, as those micro-gauged electrical wires can cause in-house vermin such as spiders and mice to trip and fall, particularlly when the ottoman is re-positioned unwittingly and making the grounding wire taut.

Now let's talk about the positioning arrangments, and heights of, your coffee-table books....

17. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I swear when I read this I thought it said "Octomom".

And the answer is yes, and Octomom will definitely affect your music listening.

lightbulb, gregorya and timind like this.
  18. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

They were destroyed during World War I, so they shouldn't bother you now.

Planbee, Laservampire, Jim N. and 5 others like this.
  19. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

You can fart in the room and it will affect your listening.
    :D

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No, but an Otter man will.

SandAndGlass and Osato like this.
  21. WapatoWolf

No thanks!! had my share of crazy partners.

Osato likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, but living with your mom, who has four arms and four legs...that's the worst.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  23. I had used a small vintage steamer trunk as a coffee table and it totally wrecked my soundstage. I moved it out, bought a thin vintage table on thin legs and everything is once again as it should be.

24. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Possibly, and not necessarily for the worse: I have the arms of two ends of a U-shaped sofa between me and the bottom half of my large floor-standing speakers. I asked their designer whether this would affect the sound, and he replied that it would help by blocking floor reflections and that he has his own system set up in the same way. Try and see whether that's a difference.

25. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

at least...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.