Will CDs ever enjoy a renaissance like the "Vinyl Revival"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DissatisfiedAudiophile, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

We’re horrid and may be even worse now. We just don’t need CDs as a carrier anymore.

Ed

2. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

I need.

Front 242 Addict and ClassicalCD like this.
  3. Nostaljack

If course you don’t. You want. That’s different.

Ed

pathosdrama and erowid like this.
  4. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

It's the ever-circling lure of retro, an affection/affectation for old technology even if pretty flawed..looking at Millenials now they seem to be a curious mix of internet-led fixations/communications and retro - anything from the 40s on up. Clothes, furniture, beards. Tattoos seem old fashioned to me.

Maybe we all did it in our generations. Hmm....Maybe. In the 70s, I guess if I had venerated the 50s, it would be similar...somewhat. But... for example, for the Teddy Boys it was more than just an affectation.

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

I went with "It will return, but as a niche format". The serious music collector see their value but the general public have no need for CDs. Everything they need is on their mobile phones.

Vaughan and OptimisticGoat like this.
  6. Hoops12

Hoops12 Well-Known Member

This.

ha2233 likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they will just be there...period.

8. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I voted for CDs to rule the world again. It does in my world already.

ClassicalCD and Hoops12 like this.
  9. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I just got Pet Shop Boys originally released Actually & Behaviour cds, due to the remasters sounded awful.

For me, this a renaissance since I didn't grow up with a lot of music. Also, since plenty of albums don't sound when it comes to remasters, I can always search for older versions.

10. Hoops12

Hoops12 Well-Known Member

I want.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  11. Nostaljack

Applause for the honesty. I get it. LOL!!!

Ed

12. Nostaljack

Tell that to Best Buy and all the retailers that have stopped giving them floor space. The death knell is nearly upon us. It happens. CDs have lasted longer than most would ever have thought. Tech is moving on. Why fight it? It's not just moving to lossy mp3s either. It's moving on to better-sounding mediums too. Let it happen. It'll be okay. ;)

Ed

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

14. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

As bad as cassettes are, they are still more reliable than CDr's.

15. Blackdagger

No, dont wont it. I need.

Because, its not only sound as sound, not only connection to artist (with virtual file I cant connect with my soul), its like you choose between original Picasso painting in your hands or on your monitor as screen shot (file). Thats not thing about 'wanting', its 'I NEED' :)

16. Blackdagger

Yes. Remember that general public before internet and cd's, recorded blank casette tapes, music from radio, or vinyl. The same thing now they doing online, free mp3's etc.... But those who are realy in music, they know what original physical format means. Its like painting like real artist real painting, or paint in photoshop on file. People today will say for many things its art, it isnt. Now they make music without instruments, which was invented on instruments. Thats not same.

17. Blackdagger

On good player, good quality recorded tape (maxell type 2, Sony ux-pro...) can sound fine. Only I dont know why those original released casettes sounded bad, not all, but many. Casettes had point before internet and before cd's! Because you can bring them out of your home on parties, walkman etc... you can record on them what you want, they can fit in your pocket. So.... not that bad. But later cd's came and were also not big, you can bring them in pocket, or blank cd's defently pushed out tapes.

But, except vinyl, tape is analog sound too. So if you like that...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  18. Nostaljack

Tech is marching forward. Did you feel the same when LP's initially went away? Probably, but it still happened and you survived. This, too, shall pass, and you will not only survive but thrive in the new environment you're about to find yourself in. Physical media is going away...and you will be okay. I promise.. ;)

Ed

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

With respect - the time when what happens in bricks and mortar was a good measurement of what is happening in society ended around 1990. The Internet is a far better measure. I can barely remember the last time I bought a CD in a brick and mortar, and I spend at least $200 a month on music.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The desire for physical media won't go away entirely, ever. People still buy books, even though there are digital readers out there. Numbers will sway back, and forth, but digital anything doesn't have that one key ingredient - a tactile feel. People like that. The masses? Who cares what they do? I suspect most people on this site feel the same way, the physicality is important, and an intrinsic part of the whole.

21. Agreed and agreed and agreed. Cds a bloody great and so is vinyl. I like and need a physical format. No streaming etc for me

22. Well said

Blackdagger likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The end of physical media, will be the end of my participation in the music industry.

Sajomo, MitchLT, RSteven and 10 others like this.
  24. You, and millions of others. Me included

RSteven, andrewskyDE, bluesky and 5 others like this.
  25. The perception of the so called vinyl "revival" within this forum is at times borderline nonsensical.

It's a miniscule niche market within a decreasing marginalised market ie. purchasing of any physical formats.

Some perspective is required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.