Will CDs ever enjoy a renaissance like the "Vinyl Revival"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DissatisfiedAudiophile, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

You do realise how widely used optical drives are yea?

2. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I could not decide any of the poll options. My experience is when there is bad remasters, which is today's "standard", I find myself purchasing old CD's and records (records = vinyl or LP) :D

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I hope so!

4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I've discovered Discogs, and am finding it a great means by which to pick up older titles at very reasonable prices. I recently bought "Buddy Holly - From The Original Master Tapes" Japan for US MCAD 5540 DIDX 203 in pristine shape for $4. I've picked a number of titles in perfect condition for a fraction of what they would have sold for new. I see this as an indicator that CDs are being sold as quickly as possible before they eventually will fetch nearly nothing. Also, offerings of new compact disc player models is a mere fraction of what it once was. You can't give them away to most people.

enfield likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

Cd players, dvd and bluray players, computers, military items ... etc etc

Halloween_Jack and Sear like this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

CD has to die off first. Being as CD sales bring billions in sales revenue, it's not happened yet.

7. mark winstanley

In reality with so many optical drive units available, stand alone cd players are somewhat redundant

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah but they're declining in computers and in media players. Two big manufacturers got out of the biz in the last few years. I'm not suggesting they will disappear tomorrow, but someday.

9. mark winstanley

Anyone voting for no the cd must die is a shameful, selfish waste of flesh.
    If you dont like it, dont buy it nazi's

10. mark winstanley

Hopefully i will be out of this miserable world by then

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Everything will decline at some point. But seriously, people who think units that play CD are going to disappear in any meaningful time frame need to go take a nap. :D

Standalone CD players aren't required. DVD players, Blu-Ray players, and whatever comes next. I'm amazed anyone would claim the ability to play them will become limited.

12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

All signs point to the format disappearing in 10-20 years. That's being optimistic. Many small labels now only offer CD-Rs. The vast majority of us are content with downloads to fill up our mobile devices.

I'm sure players will be available for many years to come so you collectors need to chill.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Same here. It's a tactile satisfaction that I don't get from CDs.
    I don't own that many CDs, but my vinyl collection continues to grow.
    With vinyl I feel like I'm going back in time. I don't get the same romanticism with CDs.

It will return, but as a niche format. SQ questions aside...
    I never thought cassettes would make a comeback, but you'll never know what the public will develop an interest in.
    I don't think the CD revival will see the same levels as the vinyl revival.

It will return, but as a niche format.

Darryl

OptimisticGoat and masterbucket like this.
  14. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

CDs have no intrinsic qualities that would make them endure. They just happened to be the most convenient way for people to commodify digital files for a period of time. They don’t have the physicality that makes vinyl attractive and they aren’t different than comparable streamed files. As far as I can tell, aside from a generation that still values them, their only advantage is to self-released musical acts who can sell them for a profit at merch tables.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Different strokes, as they say. While I don't have a "romanticism" for any format - the physicality of a CD was, and is, still there for me. I don't understand people who want to "go back in time", I really don't. But that's just me. Vinyl, and CD, are in the end merely transports. I like cover art and something to read, but while smaller in stature, I never felt that went away with CD's. In fact, the booklets in CD's more than compensated for the smaller size. Back in the day, a booklet in a Vinyl release was rare.

When I pick up a Vinyl album now, I just think of how absurdly big it is. Also, how fragile. For me, it just looks ridiculous. I guess I've just been borged over to CD, which are far more sensible, and easy to store. I don't miss the days of having to clean my albums, turn them over, and losing half a room to storing them. Not at all. Been there, done that, and it's no longer for me. I'm not tied to CD's, but if I were to change format, it'd be to Blu-Ray.

But yeah, different people like different things.

ha2233 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

bluesky and greelywinger like this.
  17. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

Haha... No no. This isnt me. Thats what you afraid, that real art is only art on physical not virtual. Sorry, but your world doesnt work and never will. Its like you want to define that 1+1 could be 15 and not 2. Something you cant change. These stuff cant work in virtual world, thats not real, many people want to live in reality in natural world not like in computers game.

Music must be on physical media. In file type, its like information which you cant feel, see, or have. Because human brain when you have something can only realy connect to it. Thats nature. Painter cant feel colours if he doesnt paint on paper or other material, painter paint on computer file? I dont think so. Thats not art. Music also, cd and record is like painter paper, part of this world, take that aways and music will not mean a lot anymore, you will feel all is without sence. Before when you bought album, listen that with your friends on street, as parties, bring it with boom box on trips, it meant something, now files on internet mean nothing. Music in that way make no sence. Thats without soul.

You never did find this world of music and attachment, thats why you dont know what you talking about. My kids are just few years old and teach them for cd and vinyl and thats never gonna change, I insist they will teach their children too and so on....

18. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

But we will still have collection of our own. And many stuff will be on ebay and sites like that for next two hundred years

19. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

What you may not realize is many here have enough music for two lifetimes (or more) so when physical media is gone they'll just enjoy what they have.

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

lighten up, francis. I think your beef is with the person who worded the question that way, not the people who chose to vote that way.

edit: Nazi's what?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

CD's will be very valuable in 100 years. So, it's time to think ahead and preserve these gems.

ha2233 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  22. not in my home.

23. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

:whistle:
    [​IMG]

Vaughan likes this.
  24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

It will never experience the resurgence that vinyl has, because vinyl has some unique qualities that CD doesn't. And it will eventually disappear for the reasons chervokas outlined - eventually optical drives will no longer be produced and then what?

But this is getting ahead of ourselves. Like some have suggested, CD hasn't gone away yet. There are millions upon millions of used CDs out there, and you can still buy virtually everything brand new (well, except for music that has less demand where a title is out of print - but that's understandable). More and more you have to do it online, but that's fine by me as shopping online for CDs is extremely convenient. Plus, there are plenty of CD players out there as well, both new and used.

Need = food, water, shelter, a source of income, etc.
    Want = audio equipment, vinyl, CDs, books, paintings, etc.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

They flog these for a small fortune at antique marts.

DRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.