Will CDs ever enjoy a renaissance like the "Vinyl Revival"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DissatisfiedAudiophile, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

So if i didnt like beer, and hope that all beer is irradicated forever, I'm a sane, rational, caring, sharing kind of guy?

Blackdagger likes this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

CD's sound as good as hi rez and downloads, so apples to oranges regarding your example. It's like a 1960's Beatles vinyl Sgt. Peppers album that had never been played and kept preserved. It would be worth a lot right now. It still would sound great on a good turntable.

3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Many only saw the negatives of vinyl when it got replaced, to a large degree, by cassettes and CD's. Now many only see the positives of vinyl. The same could happen to CDs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  4. mark winstanley

The only real problem i see with cds is this insane industry want to master them loud and free of dynamics

5. Not all cds are ruined in this way. I just bought a remaster of my fav album and i am staggered how good it sounds. Love it

ha2233, No Static and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Yea there are tons of good ones, but i have an apprehension that i never used to lol

7. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

No. Vinyl didn't.
    Streaming is nice but kinda boring. Push a button and hear anything you want. Where's the fun in that? Seriously.

8. I hear you load and clear. I always feel anxious when i play a new cd; will it be loud? Will it be compressed and brickwalled? etc etc. The good news is there are plenty of good ones out there.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Vinyl had its issues too. Warp, scratched, snap crackle and pop etc. There always be issues but streaming leaves me cold. I like cds and LPs. Always will

mark winstanley and No Static like this.
  10. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

You just don't know. If anyone said that vinyl would be selling well 30 years ago, I would never believed.

DRM likes this.
  11. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

Want = live or die
    Need = vinyl and cd

12. mark winstanley

I know, but to me, and maybe I'm just old, there is some hidden insidious reasoning behind a move to stop people owning the music they want. It certainly isn't progress.
    Future generations ....

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. Blackdagger

My vinyl are without cracking and are not warped. Those vinyl which you talk about never entered my home

14. Blackdagger

No. Read my latest posts, I agree. My children will use only vinyl and cd', we will ignore and fight this virtual file nonsense.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually downloads are falling off the table faster than any format as people apparently shift to streaming.

16. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I am not big on downloads and streaming (listening is like 80% CD and 20% vinyl), but having access to thousands of songs at the touch of a button is appealing. You can simply go where the feeling takes you within seconds. Rather than having to get up, walk to your shelf, and scan for titles to play, then choose the song you want. One (CD/vinyl) is conducive to listening to an entire album, the other to listening to individual tracks and possibly discovering things you haven't heard yet. But with steaming/downloads/rips, you can still listen to entire albums if you want. I dunno, I am locked into physical media but I admit it's outdated and possibly is even less fun/interesting then having access to all the music you could ever want on a tablet or laptop or whatever people use. Plus, you'll get a lot more music into each listening session if you don't have all the delays when moving from one album to another.

17. It did and still does happen though.
    I simply dont have any passion for streaming etc. Cds and LPs for me. Always x

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd vote option #5: no idea, but hope so.

19. mark winstanley

I wasnt arguing with you

Blackdagger likes this.
  20. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Great album :righton:

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice to see ya around Noomi! Actually was about to check in on you :)
    That Nitzer took forever to track down :laugh:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  22. Front 242 Addict

:cool: Cheers Cory.

When I already had all Nitzer Ebb albums except this one I found 2 copies in one of our cd stores,
    there Was a long line at checkout and I was late to a meeting so I thought to come back
    tomorrow to buy the cd, When tomorrow came and I arrived to the store both copies were already sold!
    :doh:
    I had to order the cd from the internet in higher price, essential EBM album/

c-eling likes this.
  23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

A losing fight. Enjoy.

Ed

24. Blackdagger

I know.

25. Front 242 Addict

I think they don't but I will keep enjoy from cds that I have and from second hand cds that I will buy in the Future. There are also lots of new ambient music cds ( one of my favorite genres) with excellent sound so for me cds rules!

Vaughan, c-eling and Blackdagger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.