Will & Grace coming back to NBC for 10 episodes in 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

What's the record for a TV show coming back after X seasons off the air?

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe The X-Files? 14 Years.

swandown likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Coach made a new pilot that was not picked up. this was 2-3 years ago. I think the show ended about 20 years ago

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's funny to me that actor Leslie Jordan ("Beverley Leslie" in the show) announced that Will & Grace was coming back two weeks ago, then that was fervently denied... and now it's officially coming back for 10 shows.

6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I'm excited to see if it's restored to the quality of the first five seasons. But 2017 is very different time in comparison to 1997 -- they cannot rely on the outdated stereotypes to get them through a plot anymore. They can't have Will hugging his romantic interests and then focus the show on Grace's love life. If they do that, it will be real shame. Because while the show was ground-breaking at the time, it quickly felt patronizing and like they were just making fun of a community that really didn't need it.

Billy Infinity, g.z. and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The short reunion "episode" they made a few months ago was fantastic, and I wasn't even a fan of the show.

8. The7thStranger

I thought it was okay. Megan was particularly on point.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Shouldn't they have sorted out their 'relationships' by now? If not that's sad, rather than funny.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I loved the part where Jack opened the fridge and asked; "why does the food look ten years old".....too funny!

11. The7thStranger

The finale was seriously horrible. One of the worst endings I've ever seen.

12. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

So why only 10 episodes? I'm guessing this is a test to see if it will still hold water in today's world.

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My wife will be pleased as long as they don't try to beat her over the head with politics. I never cared for the show myself. Too many stereotypes that are definitely dated now.

SoCalWJS, MikaelaArsenault and g.z. like this.
  14. The7thStranger

This is why I'm so skeptical.

That show relished in his shameless abuse of the gay stereotype while simultaneously focusing almost solely on Grace and her story arc.

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Doctor Who? It was off the air from 1989-2005 (minus the '96 one-off movie)

16. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

The might 'Twin Peaks' is back in May after 25 years. I have my coffee and cherry pie ready.

Wounded Land likes this.
  17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

That could be part of it. But I think it's more about how short episode runs are just the norm now, especially for "reboot" sort of situations like this.

Some network shows still get the traditional 21-25 episodes. But even stuff like "The Walking Dead" only gets 16 (essentially split into two 8-episode seasons), and stuff like "Bates Motel "and "Better Call Saul" are ten episodes per season as well.

The X-Files season last year was only six episodes; leaving everyone confused as to whether to call it "Season 10" or a "Season" at all, or a mini-series, or an "Event Series" (which is essentially just a lame modern way to say "Mini-Series"), or a "Limited Series", and so on.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My wife will be thrilled.

19. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I'll Tune in, hope Karen is still in it..mind they all Crack Me up..

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I enjoyed seeing the characters again in the ten minute video they made but ten episodes.... like 24 and The X-Files and Prison Break, Will & Grace was totally played out by the time they ended it, so I don't know what their chances are of being able to bring new life to it.

Plus, to do this they have to disregard the events of the final episode, in which Will and Grace had a falling out and didn't speak for twenty years, until their kids met at college. (It will have only been eleven years since the show went off the air).

21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'll only be interested if Jack is now a bear and having a real sex life.
    Actually, I'll be watching. Despite the stereotype problems (which didn't bother me as much back then) it was funny for a good part of its run.

22. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I really liked the continuation of Dallas. There was a 21 year gap between the finale and the new series, even with 2 or 3 reunion films between.

Larry Geller likes this.
  23. Squealy

It's weird to think Dallas was still on the air in the early 90s. It was still going while Twin Peaks was running.

Benno123 likes this.
  24. Squealy

It's just something they're doing for fun/nostalgia. They're not trying to revive it as an ongoing thing.

25. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Almost every TV show uses stereotyping, simply because it's a faster way to tell a joke. Even Seinfeld used it to a certain extent (Jerry being a stereotypical clean freak, George being stereotypically neurotic, etc.). The difference lies in how the stereotypes are portrayed -- is the show saying "All gay people act this way", or is the show saying "This is how one stereotypical gay person acts"? What made it work on Will & Grace is that Jack's stereotypical behavior is balanced out by Will's non-stereotypical behavior. We see a similar dynamic on The Big Bang Theory, where Sheldon is given many stereotypical traits, while Leonard has a more balanced (and realistic) personality. The humor lies in the contrast between the two. And we're able to laugh at Sheldon's antics without thinking "All scientists act that way."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.