Will leaving a CD-R out in the sun erase it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baba Oh Really, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

If you left a CD-R outside with direct sunlight shining on it for like a week do you think it would erase it? Sorry I searched but couldn't find any information on this.

2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have read that it can but can't say for sure as I certainly not tested this.

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It might not erase it, per se, but it might well corrupt it. Depends on the stability of the dye in the recording layer and the overall seal to ward off oxidation. I've had indirect sunlight shine through a window onto some CDs for some months (till I realized it), and the ones that got kind of "rainbow" looking and gold-toned on the label side were all of the phthalo-cyanine variety (the yellowish-silver looking dye). Some still played, some did not.

But my Taiyo Yuden cyanine CD-Rs (the blue dye) exhibited absolutely no ill-effects.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Nothing short of an acid bath can erase a CD-R (not talking CD-RW here). Exposure to heat and sunlight can only damage it and make it unreadable.

5. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I've got one that has been acting as a makeshift bird scare device on our balcony table for the last two summers (it's surprisingly efficient at that, I have to say). However, I'm not sure whether I can be persuaded to test its playability - it didn't look too inviting the last time I looked at it.

6. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

try it and see ? Leave it in a car, on the dash, and it will more than likely warp, so it would be unreadable.

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've had CD-r's lay out in the car in the sun, heat and cold for a few years, still play, no skipping unless they get a bad scratch. I never bother to put them in any case, disposable media for me that has surprised me with their robust ability to keep playing.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog Active Member

Some do, some don't corrupt - depends on dye used IME.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  9. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies, much appreciated!!

10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Will make the music sound brighter....:hide:;)

pscreed likes this.
  11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If you hang them by a string in your garden they help keep the deer away!

John B Good and PROG U.K. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.