Will Peter Gabriel ever put out another new album of original material? New song released!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erocky, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erocky

erocky Senior Member Thread Starter

What are people's thoughts on here? It has been 14 years since his last album of new, original music. I have loved most of everything that he has done including his music with Genesis.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

He's recording as we speak if that's any clue.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

glad to hear that. the guy is such a perfectionist so chances are good it won't be for a while.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hasn't he been "recording" for more than 10 years?

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The problem in working on a album on such a long period as 10 years or more, is that when the thing comes out it's already dated.
    To my ears it has happened with UP: when that album came out, I liked the songs on it, but the productions and sounds on it sounded horribly dated. Should UP have been published 10 years before it would have been cutting edge sonically.

I fear we might experience the same thing when I/O (or whatever name the album will have) come out.

6. znpnine

znpnine Forum Resident

As much as I love his work, he's just too unfocused and meticulous.
    I've long given UP (Ha!) on getting new material.
    Removing all the orchestral stuff, concert tours and soundtrack stuff - he's really only put out 2 solo albums of new material in 23 years.
    Still more prolific than myself... but come on!

DmitriKaramazov and Dog Ear like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

People get old, even wizened. An agéd English Gentleman can't be expected to tend to his estate and emit a piece of music every year, or decade, as the case may be. Inspiration isn't a doggle in the 21st century. Pip pup!

Rufus McDufus, altaeria and quicksrt like this.
  8. Wouldn't being meticulous imply that someone is FOCUSED? Just sayin'.

9. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Up until "So", his output rate was quite reasonable with five albums of original material in 9 years (77-86), which is not bad for a solo artist.

10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Gee, the guy is prolific... in comparison with Roger Waters, that is... who is also "recording" and his last regular album dates back to 1992!

bleachershane, Bowieboy and DrBeatle like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Others have made the claim that "So" made PG so much money that he never needed to record again, and that's why he slacked off.

Prior to 1986, PG needed to produce music to tour and make a living, but "So" had him set for life, so then he took his time.

Dunno if that's true, but it makes sense.

He also may just have started to run out of ideas... :shrug:

bleachershane and audiotom like this.
  12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think so too. Despite the slow output rate, the few commercially oriented albums he has put out since -- Up and Us -- were far less innovative than I had come to expect.

13. Oatsdad

True, but I still think they were enjoyable albums. I'd love more "less innovative" albums like those! :D

LivingForever likes this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well he seems to be more of a "soundtrack album contributor" nowadays than an "album artist". For example there was more than an album's worth of material put out in the 90s between US and UP on (mostly) movie soundtrack albums. So it would seem that he prioritizes finishing (and releasing) a song at a time as opposed to "finishing an album".

So perhaps its more lucrative for him to have that as an outlet given his slow work rate and the extra money film work provides. Not only does the appearance of a song on a soundtrack album make him money, but so does each movie theater showing/DVD release/TV airing of the movie itself that contains the song.

So its possible we won't see a new original album until he just happens to have stockpiled 10 finished songs that he hasn't yet been able to place on a soundtrack album/placement in a movie.

So (it would seem) finishing and releasing "an album" is an afterthought for him nowadays, and not where his main focus lies.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Don't forget he also has a studio and record label to run. Plenty to get him sidetracked. There is income from these as well as reissues of his old material. There was supposed to be another albums worth of Up sessions but non has appeared. Also I don't think his recordings can become outdated over the last 20 years as there has been little musical innovation or leaps in recording quality over that time.

16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

This is probably yet another case of letting the wrong guy be the boss. While I respect PG's musical mind, he seems to operate best when there's some outside factor - whether a financial need, a deadline, or a producer/cowriter who isn't going to take his crap - to push activity.

Basically, he seems to exist so much in his own head that it can just stay there endlessly unless someone forces him to pick a finished form, commit to it, and get on with things.

Dog Ear and Beamish13 like this.
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think he will, but I think the 'perfectionist' excuse is absurdly charitable. Every one of his albums has serious flaws, and in the time that it takes him to put one out other artists manage to put out several hours of work that is at least as 'perfect'. PG is entitled to do what he wants with his time but the idea that between tours he's to be found sweating over ProTools assembling his grand statement is vanishingly unlikely.

19. znpnine

znpnine Forum Resident

To clarify: I meant that he seems easily distracted with extracurricular projects.
    And when he does start working on stuff, he works quite slowly.
    Love him just the same though.

LivingForever and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  20. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

I hope so.

21. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Apparently they've been having a hell of a time with getting the piano tuned... ;)

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

As point of reference, this opinion comes from somebody whose been a huge fan of his solo and Genesis output. So, here are my thoughts...

He introduced a new song during the So reboot a few years back. It went well with the rest of the repertoire, but probably not anything particularly memorable. My approach is to not look too much to those in their 60's and 70's for new music. He and Sting both did the orchestral re-imaginings around the same time, and look now, they're touring together. It's no coincidence. Creative peak for most is 20's and 30's. (Yes, there are occasional exceptions.) These guys can afford to rest on their laurels a bit. Having said that, a new by PG wouldn't excite me the way it did back during the 80's. Even Up took a while to digest. The feeling's just not the same.

Tristero and Runicen like this.
  23. I hear ya! And thanks for clarifying.

24. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Yes, Breakfast's ready and The sheep wakes up in Hollywood.

Former Scientist likes this.
  25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Just so long as he doesn't try to compose, "The Lamb, Part II: Rael's Revenge."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.