Will Peter Gabriel ever put out another new album of original material? New song released!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erocky, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think "perfectionism" in his case, may refer to the ability to turn the idea or notion in the artist's head into recorded sound, rather than on perfecting the quality of sound or performance.

Gabriel may not be satisfied with the end product after recording a song and mixing it. He may feel there's some missing element and chooses to put the song to rest for some time, waiting for other ideas or perspectives to blossom.

That kind of "perfectionism" -- especially for a guy who is not financially constrained -- can take years.

Cassiel likes this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He is currently recording an album but I think he's only actually been dedicated to recording the past year, probably not even a year. He has been posting pictures from the studio on Facebook. That being said, who knows how long it will take him, but finally his top priority is recording a new album.

3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Kraftwerk are supposed "recording" and this will be their first real (not remix) album since freaking 1986

Beamish13 likes this.
  4. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I wonder if Peter will be like Bowie and Prince and when the time comes (hopefully in 30 years or more, we must keep Peter alive and safe) we will suddenly discover 1000 songs he's recorded, given how he's been "in the studio" for the past 12 years.

5. MikeVielhaber

I doubt he's been completing songs all this time.

6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I count the Tour De France album from 2003 as a real album.

D.H. likes this.
  7. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I never bothered with it being essentially a remix album based on a song from 1983 though

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Little-known fact: PG named his basement "the studio" so that way he could watch "Beverly Hillbillies" reruns over and over but still tell the press "I'm in the studio!"

ARK, altaeria and Runicen like this.
  9. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Isn't that album 11 new songs and 1 remake?

Fastnbulbous, D.H. and Aggie87 like this.
  10. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I dimly recall an article from the early 90s talking about him spending weeks mixing the song "Shaking The Tree" for his hits comp. Actually, remixing the song since it had already been released on a Youssou n'Dour album.

11. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Strange as I was about to post an exact same question that OP has.
    I love Peter Gabriel he is 100% my favourite solo artist.
    I have never seen him live & I really hope he tours with his next new album that rumour says he is working on (maybe rehearsals for the Sting tour, not sure)
    On a separate note he if a fantastic role model & someone I admire very much as a person.
    I know Peter is not elitist even with his Charterhouse education and I hope he does not refuse (like David Bowie) a knighthood.
    I think the queen gives knighthoods on her birthday I think Peter should definitely be Sir Peter Gabriel in the summer of this year, or ASAP afterwards.
    Hopefully he will accept it, I'm sure he will.

ps
    I LOVE "Big Blue Ball' album, "Animal Nation" track & "Down To Earth" track.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

'Tour de France Soundtracks' from 2003 was a new album.
    Edit: Aggie87 beat me to it.

Aggie87 likes this.
  13. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I thought Up was a great album, though it could've benefited from some edits here and there. Scratch My Back took a while for me to learn to appreciate, but is now one of my favorite recordings of PG. Didn't really care for the New Blood companion piece though. Would love to hear some real new music, but I guess it'll be 2020+ before we hear any new music :(

Runicen and somebodywhocares like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think the odds are 50/50 it happens during his lifetime. 100% it happens afterwards.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right - in fact, the story about 'Sky Blue' bears out what you suggest - but there's a version of that perfectionism that comes with a single-minded dedication to solving problems as quickly as possible and a version which waits, paralysed by self-doubt, in the hope that 'something will turn up'. I often feel that fans have done the likes of PG and Kate Bush no favours by commending their perfectionism instead of saying 'enough already'.

Runicen likes this.
  16. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

His father, Ralph Parton Gabriel (1912-2012)
    Mum, Edith Irene, still alive.
    No guarantee, but old age for the clean living family man Peter, looks good (HOPEFULLY)

agn and Bowieboy like this.
  17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I'm going to post something really meaningful here at some point... I'm working on it when I can... ;)

Dog Ear, ARK, Runicen and 1 other person like this.
  18. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Yes the dinner party thread I had Donald Fagen and Peter Gabriel as part of my five.
    I think they are joint equal in the perfectionism stakes but Don has Walt of course.

19. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I guess I was wrong... I remember when it came out, everyone was talking about it like it was another "The Mix" so I didn't bother because remix albums are very hit and miss for me

20. MikeVielhaber

These odds are contradicting. If it's 100% to happen after dies, then it is 0% to happen before.

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I meant, 50% chance he puts out an album while he's alive. 100% chance an album of unreleased/unfinished/whatever songs comes out after he dies. I hate to be morbid like that, but it's true for every artist under the sun. (See also: Axl Rose)

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  22. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

& "Lovetown" from Philadelphia - Music From The Motion Picture

I kind of made a misc album of tracks (with Peter's vocals) mainly from soundtracks & Big Blue Ball in no order:

Lovetown - Philadelphia - Music From The Motion Picture
    Animal Nation - Wall-E
    Down To Earth - The Wild Thornberrys Movie
    Whole Thing - "Big Blue Ball'
    Exit Through You - "Big Blue Ball'
    Burn You Up, Burn You Down - "Big Blue Ball'
    Soft Dog - Shock the Monkey B side

Any Unique Ones I've Missed with vocals?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  23. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Quite a few. But start with Party Man from the virtuosity soundtrack. That's a great tune.

deany76 likes this.
  24. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Quite possibly. Imagine what, say, Brian Eno has in the can at this point. or Lindsey Buckingham?

25. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

the funny thing is that Lindsey has actually gotten more prolific when it's usually been artists started prolific and slowed down. 1981-1984-1992-2006-2008-2011, and we have to factor there was a FM ep since the last album and that he's been constantly touring with FM and there's been talk about a new album with them. Kind of the reverse in the past decade compared to Peter and others

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.