Will Rega update the RP6 in line with the new Planar 1/2/3?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geoffrey Connor, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Connor

Geoffrey Connor Active Member Thread Starter

Have been looking to replace my old project tt with the Rega RP6 but was wondering if it might worth holding off a while if Rega update the model in line with the new Planar 1/2/3 models.

Anybody heard anything?

Alan2 likes this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I haven't heard anything. Everything gets replaced, eventually. I think the RP6 is newer and already has the gloss finish, so I don't see them having to be in any hurry to tweak that. The cheaper tables, especially the RP1, is cheaper to update, so it will not stay on the market as long. Two reasons for that. One is that parts are less expensive due to their materials, size, and tolerances, and the other is scale of production, as they sell more of the less expensive models and so those benefit from savings due to sheer quantity. The more expensive, nicer models can hold their place on the market longer and they stay in people's systems longer. I use an RP6 myself.
    -Bill

Geoffrey Connor likes this.
  3. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

I have been wondering when the RP6 update would occur as well. I would also be interested to know if the sound quality of the current RP6 is significantly better than the newer (but lower tier) Planer 3.

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

As Bill mentioned above, nothing noted on the RP6 update as of yet...... but if you would like to check from time to time, the pinkfish media forum is usually where you can find most breaking Rega news (along with Naim and a few other of the UK brands). Actually Paul, with Rega posts on pinkfish often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.