Will remixing the Beatles’ catalogue keep their music relevant in the coming years?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatles music doesn't need any remixing to stay relevant. I do own and like some of the remixed versions, but I've never regarded them as anything more than a fun alternative. In the end I'll always go back to the original mono or stereo mixes. That's what people heard in the 60s and that's what built their reputation.

Keith V likes this.
  2. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Who knows, but am I wrong in sensing in 50 years time they will be remembered as a name but their music won't be part of the cultural lingua franca, sort of like Elvis?

3. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

All the kids talk about on the playground is how they're ready to be diehard Beatles fans as soon as their catalog has more clarity and volume.

MPLRecords, patrickd and OobuJoobu like this.
  4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Hahaha. The Beatles picture is in the dictionary under “relevance”. All others are measured against them.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Remixing?
    No I think it could have adverse effective.

7. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Well I listen to a vinyl rip of the album and it sounds a lot better.

8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Fair warning, my opinion may upset some folks, especially the geezers. Disclaimer: I'm a geezer.

Sgt Pepper hit #16 on this list of 2017s biggest albums so far, based on the strength of the remixed re-release: The Official Top 40 biggest albums of 2017 so far

Eventually The Beatles' music will fade from popularity among those who listen to contemporary artists. Streaming is, or will soon become, the most popular way music is heard. The Beatles are nowhere to be found on the following charts:

Spotify Top 100 Artists 22.October.2017 - The Spotify Community

List of most streamed songs on Spotify - Wikipedia

Official Audio Streaming Chart Top 100 | Official Charts Company

The Beatles' music will ever be irrelevant, any more than Stravinsky, Gershwin, Ellington or Bernstein. Maybe even among the greatest composers of all time including Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, et al.

However if we are considering "relevant" to be popular, yes I believe remixing and reissuing is the only way to keep the Beatles' music relevant in terms of popularity. Even then, there is only a finite amount of material that can be re-purposed for modern audiences.

Even now, the Beatles are irrelevant to modern popular music.

bherbert likes this.
  9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm reposting because I made one significant error, I should have typed "The Beatles' music will never be irrelevant"

Fair warning, my opinion may upset some folks, especially the geezers. Disclaimer: I'm a geezer.

Sgt Pepper hit #16 on this list of 2017s biggest albums so far, based on the strength of the remixed re-release: The Official Top 40 biggest albums of 2017 so far

Eventually The Beatles' music will fade from popularity among those who listen to contemporary artists. Streaming is, or will soon become, the most popular way music is heard. The Beatles are nowhere to be found on the following charts:

Spotify Top 100 Artists 22.October.2017 - The Spotify Community

List of most streamed songs on Spotify - Wikipedia

Official Audio Streaming Chart Top 100 | Official Charts Company

The Beatles' music will never be irrelevant, any more than Stravinsky, Gershwin, Ellington or Bernstein. Maybe even among the greatest composers of all time including Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, et al.

However if we are considering "relevant" to be popular, yes I believe remixing and reissuing is the only way to keep the Beatles' music relevant in terms of popularity. Even then, there is only a finite amount of material that can be re-purposed for modern audiences.

Even now, the Beatles are irrelevant to modern popular music.

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Ron Furmanek did the remixing for the Help!, Magical Mystery Tour and Anthology DVDs. Those great 5.1s are his as well. He even did a (so far unreleased) remix of Shea that is undoubtedly better than the recent mix. But it doesn't look like he'll be back any time soon unfortunately.

11. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

The songs stand on their own... Maybe remixes will get publicity hype and people will buy them.
    Some hardcore fans might even like the remixes, and many of us think it's blasphemy weather we end up liking them or not! Are mixes gonna make a difference........Hell no.......It's the quality of the songs. I know plenty of young people who like the Beatles, and I've never heard a complaint about sound quality......

I know John Lennon was quoted as saying he'd like to redo all of the material, which I think meant from the ground up, including performance. That said, remixing it without John is for me unthinkable.......I couldn't give a rats azz what Yoko or Sean approve of......nothing against Sean...

Shaker Steve likes this.
  12. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think it would, especially given the success of Sgt. Pepper's remix. It gives the music a fresh new sound but I think it's more then that. especially if they put them out 1 by 1 it focuses people on that 1 album and keeps the music in the public eye more prominently. As a fan of The Beatles myself it's easy to just assume that the music is so great it's kept it alive all these years but I think the truth is it's been kept relevant because there are so many people who have been willing to carry water for the catalogue. So many people have covered various Beatles songs that most people are familiar with the songs on some level. I think it's why Paul McCartney managed to stay relevant over the years, unlike George who tended to stick his nose up at the newer guys Paul would try and collaborate with who ever the big act of the day was so he kept his name out there. The Beatles may not need remixing but it really should be remixed just like Sgt. Pepper. Maybe not exactly the same as Sgt. Pepper but remixed to have a more modern sound.

bherbert likes this.
  13. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I don't think so. Old fans who already own the original mixes are the ones getting these remixes. That's it. You can't expect a band that broke up 50 years ago to stay on top forever next to the popular artists of the moment. People won't perceive a 50 year old album like it's new music just because someone remixed it. I got into the Beatles in the late 90s, no remixes, or anything. Just some old Abbey Road cassette my girlfriend's dad gave me one day.

14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Holy sh!t.......Pepper remix is included free with Amazon prime and I'm listening right now for the 1st time......Giles took HUGE artistic license with this. I'm hearing all kinds of stuff I never heard before, and a ton of processing.
    Lead guitar on title track is up in the mix..
    The bass sounds nothing like the original..Sounds almost like round wounds... WTF... Lowrey organ bouncing side on Lucy.....The tone of the bowed instruments on
    "She's leaving home" has a middy cello or violin that's been brought way up in the mix.
    The hi hat tone on Kite has been changed very noticeably.
    There's a rhythm guitar brought up in the mix on the left channel on "Good Morning, Good morning", that I've never heard. It sounds like some tracks have been doubled and EQ'd to create a stereo effect. I heard voices come and go that were never there before. I hear McCarney backup vocal at the end of Pepper reprise that I never heard before. This is one listen from a guy who probably has worse hearing than most on the forum....

I must admit that I think it sounds great, but I just consider this wrong.......

15. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Not mine and many, many others.

bherbert, mrzpliff and CraigBic like this.
  16. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I love the remix. What I like most about it is Ringo’s drums sounding like they are ‘right there’. I will find it very difficult to go back to the original stereo and mono mixes now

CraigBic likes this.
  17. bherbert

A bit harsh? Even Michael Fremer likes the remix. Don’t think he loves it but he says it creams the ping pong stereo version and I agree.

Sgt Pepper and CraigBic like this.
  18. bherbert

Remixes might bring back old fans who suffer from Beatles burn out. The catalogue will sound fresh and exciting again.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Only just noticed this thread, so on with the late contribution...

I don't think 'modern stereo' really matters to many younger people. I'm sure many middle-aged fans (like me) would like the option of a better balanced and more modern stereo sound (by 'more modern' I mean mid- to late-'70s!) But as for younger people, I don't think they're as bothered as we (and Apple Corps.) think they are. They'd actually be happy with mono, as most of what they listen to isn't wide stereo anyway. My kids certainly don't care - and given a choice, my eldest (the one who's more serious about music) thought mostly mono Beatles worked best for her iPhone.

So, when it comes to the matter of remixing the catalogue, I think the key question is 'Who is it being remixed for?' I suspect that the answer is us, not upcoming and future generations. The Beatles have proven longevity anyway. After all, Billie Holiday hasn't faded away for lack of a remix.

BDC likes this.
  20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

My pleasure, glad you cared...

bherbert likes this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Love" was great, they need to just do the rest of the albums the same way (imo).

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The purpose of remixing is to sell the same thing to fans who already own everything. Maybe some of the "hype" surrounding it might lure some new young fans to check it out.

Tommyboy and bherbert like this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nothing is done without profit. If the remix is done like "Love", it would be my go-to for hearing
    Beatles music.

Chris DeVoe and bherbert like this.
  24. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

You keep saying this. Who are these people? They certainly aren't on this forum. There appears to be 3 people here who are madly in love with Giles, while everybody else could care less.

Oh, well if Fremer likes it, then it has to be good. I've completely changed my mind. Bring on the fake stereo extractions and heavy compression!

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm sticking to my opinion no matter who says what...no disrespect to you or this thread intended...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.