Will remixing the Beatles’ catalogue keep their music relevant in the coming years?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm saddened and pissed by his control...can only imagine the further damage he going to inflict on the Beatles catalog...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. Michael

that's cool...that's what IMO is for...

3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Then maybe you need to broaden your horizons and there are quite a few on this forum who also agree with my opinion, instead of trolling every post I make.
    Please, when you do post can you add IMO as it sounds like you are stating facts also I am close to having you on ignore, which would probably be the best thing don't you think.

4. Sgt Pepper

Of course, as is yours IMO.

5. Sgt Pepper

Back to the OPs question. I think where a remix will have a lasting impression is when say the original Stereo mix was more of an afterthought and can be given a new lease of life, so not all I think would benefit from it.

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That's not true at all. Every generation has Beatles fans, and lots of them. I still see kids wearing Abbey Road t-shirts all the time.

Tommyboy, walrus and Sgt Pepper like this.
  7. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

The Beatles have been relevant for the past 50 years without remixes, so I don't really see how future remixes will keep their music relevant, except for the older fans, who will make it financially relevant for EMI for years to come.

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Remixing won't keep them relevant.

Timeless songwriting will. Just as it keeps Oscar Hammerstein, Jerome Kern or any other number of superlative songwriters relevant. That music is here to stay.

9. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I used to think that remixing was a good idea. Why not, I thought? Well, they remixed Sgt. Pepper and put it out there. Interesting for one listen and on the shelf it goes. Now, my opinion is that remixing does just the opposite of keeping the Beatles music relevant. It waters down and dilutes their product. It spreads it thin. Too many options turns people off. You've got your stereos and your monos in their original form. That's enough!

10. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I have participated in dozens of threads and helped lots of people make informed decisions. All you ever do is post about how awesome Giles Martin is, and cry like a baby when anyone disagrees. It appears to be your mission here. The definition of a troll. It would be my pleasure to be placed on your ignore list.

showtaper likes this.
  11. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I think it's a mistake to say the only people who enjoy the remix are those who actually make a point of writing a post saying they like it.
    I'd say many more just sit quietly and enjoy it.

stereoptic and Sgt Pepper like this.
  12. Sgt Pepper

I am thinking maybe Revolver & The White Album would most benefit and take them well into the future.

13. willie john

willie john Forum Resident

A compilation of Beatles Rock & Roll music and a compilation of Ballads would be a great addition to the canon.

notesfrom likes this.
  14. Michael

: )

15. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I completely agree! If someone don't like Beatles music, he can listen to something else. What he shouldn't do is to "play god" and try to "improve" something that was created long before he was born.
    Every generation has it's own music. That's fine. That is life.

BDC and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  16. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Seems Giles did everything but add new overdubs.....Sad and wrong even if I think it sounds good.
    I bet he even protooled some performances into better time....not cool......

17. Sgt Pepper

So this has turned into yet another Giles & Abbey Road bashing thread,:doh:

18. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I agree slightly. I don’t agree that it’s a travesty. It could be done better. The new vinyl version is the best stereo version of Pepper though on my opinion.

19. Sgt Pepper

Can't wait for tonight, listening to remixes on very high end equipment again, our last session was very positive from those who attended, old and new to them.

20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would future generations be happy to listen to mono and hard panned stereo?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Although it may enhance the fidelity, it isn't the remixing that will keep them relevant. It's the timeless quality of their music.

22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

And copyright purposes.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Considering the prevalence of headphones over speakers among my generation and younger, the sooner we get those hard-panned stereo versions off digital services, the better. Still blows my mind that a kid could look up "A Hard Day's Night" and be presented with Ringo's drums coming out of only one ear, and the guitar solo completely on the right. Maybe they won't care, but more likely they'll just think it's weird and not get what the big deal is. Since they won't make the mono versions 'standard' for whatever reason, I hope they remix the whole catalog in stereo to make it a little less awkward, particularly for headphone listeners.

Chris DeVoe, MPLRecords and bherbert like this.
  24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

If Apple Corps had made the mono versions the standard versions, would we even have remixes today? This is something I’ve been thinking about. Which is more outdated? Mono or hard panned stereo?

DK Pete likes this.
  25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Neither is at all outdated. Both are in keeping with the music and its era.

tages, DK Pete and Mr_Vinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.