Will Rhino be mining the (non-Beatles) Parlophone catalog anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nesbitt Bireley, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nesbitt Bireley

Nesbitt Bireley New Member Thread Starter

Now that Warner Music has acquired the formerly EMI-owned Parlophone catalog sans the Beatles, along with Chrysalis and Charisma, to satisfy EU regulators in the wake of Universal Music absorbing EMI, does Rhino have any plans to reissue catalog? Not sure how much of an audience there might be for old Goon Show records, but I wouldn't mind seeing a reissue of "Blues Helping," the 1968 Parlophone album by Love Sculpture, a power trio featuring Dave Edmunds on guitar (which originally was licensed by Motown's Rare Earth label for the U.S.).

Here's the leadoff track, a cover of Freddie King's "The Stumble":

Hotdog likes this.
  2. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I would like to see a reissue of Blues Helping. Nice stuff!

3. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I wouldn't assume that Warner got everything other than the Beatles that ever was on Parlophone, but then I don't know, really. Whoever owns the rights to those twelve Goon Shows issued on Parlophone, what they need to do is hire Ted Kendall to do expanded remasters as he's done for the BBC.

4. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Could be; Rhino featured six Love Sculpture tracks on "The Dave Edmunds Anthology" over twenty years ago:

Disc: 1
    1. River To Another Day - Love Sculpture
    2. The Stumble - Love Sculpture
    3. Sabre Dance - Love Sculpture
    4. Summertime - Love Sculpture
    5. In The Land Of The Few - Love Sculpture
    6. Farandole ( From L'Arlesienne) - Love Sculpture
    [​IMG]

JimC likes this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

Parlophone just did a nice Hawkwind box set. " This is your Captain Speaking Your Captain is Dead 1970-74."
    11 cd and very nice!

Platterpus likes this.
  6. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

What record label owns The Beatles catalog now?

7. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Capitol Music Group, part of Universal Music Group.

8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Thank you!!!

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The Beatles' Apple label. Warner has nothing to do with it.

10. Grant

I meant to add that Warner distributes Apple.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Universal had to sell off Parlophone to get EMI. That's why all this crazy non Parlophone stuff like The Shadows is suddenly on Warners/Parlophone :p

12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have UK Parlophones of both Love Sculpture LPs,as well as the Parrot issue of "Blues Helping" I bought back in the 80s.as well as a Dutch pressing of "Rockpile" .Haven't thought to look for them currently.Are they all that rare?

I am glad to see the Rhino/Parlophone reissue of "Rainbow Ffolly" for Record Store Day.I do plan to pick that up.The original can sell for over $1200.

13. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

t's already started. Just last week I found out that Warner are issuing quite lot of these so-called 'Original album series', a box set with 5 original albums housed in cardboard jackets. They did a run of those before, of course, but now it looks like a lot of artists that were formerly on EMI/Parlophone are receiving this treatment.

It's hard to select a list of these, because a search for 'original album series' doesn't make the distinction for albums that were originally on EMI before Warner took over part of the catalog. But this search may give an impression of what I mean:

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_pg_3?...=original+album+series&ie=UTF8&qid=1429338441

I've seen the likes of Manfred Mann (sixties), Al Stewart, Steve Harley. Roy Wood, Kiki Dee, Sheena Easton, Jethro Tull, Peter Tosh, Shirley Bassey etc, that certainly were on EMI in the past. Some interesting stuff popping up here and there. I'm sure I will buy more than a few of those.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Mylene likes this.
  14. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Right. I should have said that Capitol/Universal has the deal to release and distribute the Beatles, not that they own the Beatles catalog.

Grant likes this.
  15. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Most interesting! Artists that were on UA, at least in England, seem to have gone to the Parlophone group: Brinsley Schwarz, Shirley Bassey, Buzzcocks. Harvest too? There's Be Bop Deluxe.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Pink Floyd ended up on Warners but their 'new' album is on Sony. David Bowie's back catalog is on Warners but the new comp is on Sony in some countries. It's like that New Zealand record company (Music World) that issued stuff until the rightful owner threatened to sue.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I believe Warners got all the Duran Duran catalogue.... though they were originally on Harvest.

18. Grant

EMI owned Harvest and Capital.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I read somewhere that there was to be a new album... on Warners..
    not sure if they're re-issuing the back cat. or not.

20. telliott

telliott Senior Member

What about the rest of the world outside the US? Does Universal distribute the Beatles catalog worldwide? I assume it's all Universal/Apple with the Parlophone label used only for historical purposes. It's all confusing. Capitol isn't it's own company anymore anyway.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I didn't know Blues Helping was out of print. What a great album! I remember a friend who was a used record/CD dealer walked up to me with the 1999 CD and said buy this and don't ask any questions! Still sounds pretty good to me. I'd like to see their BBC stuff released if it's in decent shape.

22. Grant

Capitol is currently under the Motown umbrella, or something like that. UMe relocated Motown back to L.A. last year and gave it autonomy.

telliott likes this.
  23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

24. Nesbitt Bireley

Nesbitt Bireley New Member Thread Starter

Wouldn't everything on Parlophone (minus the Beatles catalog, of course), Chrysalis, Ensign, et al. be out of print until new owner Warner Music releases the titles through its distribution system?

25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I'm hoping that the recent Rhino reissue of the mono "Tomorrow" LP is a signpost for awesome releases to come!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.