Will Vinyl Ever Get Cheap Again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Severin22, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I would suggest buying what you like and what comes highly recommended sonic wise. Anything else is a c**pshoot, unless it is an expensive boxset by a well known artist. Many artists will simply fall out of favor.

nosliw likes this.
  2. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

I agree with your last three words!

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Right, and some vinyl. But of late, his vinyl has been reasonably priced. Pleasantly surprised. For a while (10 years ago) his new vinyl went for $30--I passed.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

When the high price of new vinyl negatively impacts the sales of it, nothing would make me happier than the return of vinyl cut-out bins.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

True. I miss the time when his 70s albums could be found in the used bins for a few Dollars. I should have bought more.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, but it would be nice to get some cheaper option.

At the moment, I wondering about some Sonic Youth reissues that Universal are blowing out for £9 each (about $12-13).

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I remember when the regular price went from $4.99 to $5.99 and I thought that was outrageous! :laugh: Now I would advise my former self to go crazy and buy them all!!!!

8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I wish I could go back to the 80s and buy Prince.

uzn007 and Gary like this.
  9. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

For convenience and usually cost, cds win hands down. That's as far as I agree with your argument, because you're denying several important things.

If you get a good record (admittedly you can be unlucky sometimes) it will sound more natural and lifelike than a cd. Modern remasters usually pump up the volume and lose the subtlety and air. An original record is like a piece of history. Like an antique piece of furniture vs a cheap reproduction. There's something amazing about finding and owning a NM original record that you forgot to pick up in the 1970s or 80s. They are just better and they give you a buzz - they are a great thing to have. It has a tangible class (sound and artwork), which cds (which are a bit cheap and throwaway) never will . However, I will qualify that - I was in Rough Trade East yesterday and it's full of brand new reissues from 2017/2018 on vinyl. The sleeves were often blurry and I'll bet that in a lot of cases the sound is blurry too - it's just not the same (although I did pick up TheThe's Radio Cineola Trilogy on vinyl and Germfree Adolescents on yellow/green splatter vinyl)

I sort of don't see the point of cds now that there are flac downloads, but there is still a point to hunting down and owning/enjoying an original first press vinyl record.
    The original presses will only ever go up in price because if owners/sellers don't look after them they will forever deteriorate, but there's no excuse for new reissues being so costly if vinyl continues to grow in popularity.
    No excuse, but there is a reason - the age-old one of the music industry trying to squeeze as much dosh out of its consumer base as possible for as little effort as possible.
    'Twas ever thus.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Speaking of which, has anybody been by their local Target or Urban Outfitters to see if the LPs are marked down after Christmas?

Folknik likes this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Yours:righton::cheers:

Chemguy likes this.
  12. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I agree about the original pressings. Had a bunch of traffic LPs I bought in the early 80s. They sounded ok to me. Better than the CDs. Just found a bunch of original pressings at my local record store (Who knew they were originally in gatefold sleeves!) and they sound amazing. Even 'Shootout at the Fantasy Factory' Which was never one of my favorites sounds like they are jamming in my room.

13. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

CDs have no point now. Digital is streamed not played in a machine anymore.

MackKnife likes this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Exaggerate much?:D:cheers:

15. Dennis Metz

LOL:help::cheers:

SuntoryTime and eddiel like this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

CDs are just a storage medium. Nothing more. Try to replicate the grooves in a record....I dare ya.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Recently I took out a few library CD's and was informed that they are no longer purchasing new CD's in the county - looks like like they are moving towards their digital options more now.

Granted, they aren't buying LP's either but it seems to be another indicator of where things are headed.

18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

*YAWN*

19. johnebravo

johnebravo Forum Resident

Oh, yeah -- the 90s were great for picking up LPs. People everywhere were dumping their collections for next to nothing, just to get rid of them. Thrift and second-hand stores were selling them for as little as 10-25 cents a piece; even the most"expensive" ones were going for $3-5. I loaded up, and I'm glad now that I did, because there's no way I would pay the current prices that LPs appear to be fetching. Not when there are CDs, which are now regarded by people as the worthless throw-aways, and are cheap, cheap, cheap!

20. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I'm in no way against CD's, for I have many and still play them. But I've always felt that those who think the "new vinyl movement" is new, apparently haven't realized that it's only new to those who haven't had the chance to enjoy music on what was its inherent format for the bulk of the past 100 years!

lemonade kid likes this.
  21. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Give it about a decade.

3D printing technology schematic of the grooves on a RL LZ II finds its way on a torrent, and now suddenly anyone with a 3D printer at home can print out their own version.

23. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Well, 70 counts as a pretty good bulk of 100. :)

jawaka1000 likes this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

:D

At which point the debate moves to "This copy was 3D-scanned at 12-trillion pixels-per-inch... it's obviously superior to previous copies scanned at a mere 4-billion pixels-per-inch."

25. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

IMHO, I don't see the price of vinyl coming down anytime soon. That said, I do what I can to minimize my TCA (Total Cost of Acquisition). I hunt for good (VG+) quality LP's in my "secret spots" and am often able to get finds for under $5 that are in great shape and play well. Then there are times I really want something and will pay retail for it. I offset the high cost of "new" vinyl with the treasures I find while hunting. Not only does this keep my average $/LP low, hunting for the nuggets is part of the fun of the hobby IMHO :)

Severin22, lightbulb and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.