Will Vinyl Ever Get Cheap Again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Severin22, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, that point has been made time and again. Everyone can put away the calculators now.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I find that those that subscribe to streaming services are not the type of people interested in collecting music anyway. They just want something in the background or to sing along to, which is OK.

lemonade kid and DTK like this.
  3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yes, it does seem redundant to keep making the point, but some are "thick in the head" about it. They have to be reminded time and again. If music could be manufactured and marketed cheaper, it would be. There are many who would jump into that arena if they could "undercut" another manufacturers price aside from outright piracy. Producing and marketing music is similar to making a movie. There is "no" guaranty that the product will sell enough to recoup their investment. The 1970's were full of flops. The big sellers were what kept record companies in the black.

johnebravo and troggy like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the whole vinyl thing is going to go away very soon, and then CD's will come back for a while.

and i think that will be it............78's anyone?

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That's a bit dismissive. Just because they don't collect music doesn't make them any less interested in music.

Chip Z and c-eling like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I never said that!

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

My sis still has about 15 cd's left Dave, left over rock from the late 80's. Even though she buys through Apple now she won't let me near em :laugh:

8. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

not yet
    [​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

When I go to record stores to dig through used vinyl, I'm looking for the albums that the average Joe doesn't care about and often albums I've never even heard of. Too many people go into stores looking for things Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc. and have no concept of what crate digging is about at all. They are literally leaving behind albums that can be had at good prices in nice condition that they might love because they are so myopic in the way they go about things. You can apply this to other genres besides classic rock as well.

mahanusafa02, troggy, Sax-son and 2 others like this.
  10. c-eling

No kidding, I passed on a nice Zep IV for 5 bucks for a Roxette-Joyride :D

patient_ot likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't even like Zep.

:hide:

mahanusafa02, Man at C&A and c-eling like this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Of course I have always known how to take care of my records but even with all the measures taken (anti-static turntable mat, anti-static gun, never touch the playing surface, change stylus before it gets worn, inner sleeve opening at 90° to the outer sleeve opening, washing and rincing LPs,... there is always some click or other that appears at some stage.
    So YES it is a ridiculously fragile format, especially with all that ridiculous high-maintenance to put in.

13. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

I subscribe to Spotify and collect physical media. I use Spotify to listen via earbuds on the phone when I am out of the house and late night in bed. Also use Spotify to stream in the car. I also stream at home on my bluetooth equiped receiver.

If I want to listen to an album at home I will typically put on vinyl. If I want to hear a mix of songs I will typically stream.

Streaming is great because it gives me access to albums/songs that I occassionally want to spin but don't necessarily want to own. Sometimes I will end up purchasing vinyl of stuff that I have been streaming.

LivingForever and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

I think streaming services are great and would never fault or look down on someone for utilizing some of the advantages of it.
    I just personally don't have a situation where it would be needed. That extra 10 a month is one more odd-ball single or promo I wouldn't have :laugh:

troggy and Stone Turntable like this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

"Nobody goes there any more. It’s too crowded.”

johnebravo likes this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Crate digging can produce good results so long as you know what to look for. However, more times than not, the reason they are in the dollar crates is for a good reason. They are not that good. I have boxes of records that I bought on a chance that are just sitting around my storage building because I don't want them intermixed with my good records. The will eventually end up back at the thrift store.

eddiel and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  17. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Regarding the OP. I do think that used vinyl will eventually go down in price. I think a lot of younger vinyl heads will get tired of the imperfection of vinyl (ticks, pops). Another set will eventially realize that that Crosley they are spinning records on sucks and they will drop the hobby rather than spend the $ on a decent system.

I am 50 years old and as more of my genration X and the older boomer generation pass on the interest in classic rock vinyl will definitely go down.

I see a lot of late 20's early 30's aged hipsters into viny but my son and his friends in high school have zero interest in vinyl or CDs. It is all streaming.

Severin22, Reamonnt and c-eling like this.
  18. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

This is good advice. Sometimes going in without a plan is the best thing.

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I guess that I must not be as anal about this stuff as a lot of the people here. My records aren't perfect by those lofty standards but mostly sound really good to me and I'm not even sure what "ridiculous high-maintenance" is supposed to entail.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I rarely have a plan when I crate dig. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun, if I went in only looking for specific things.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    patient_ot likes this.
  21. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Exactly. It's like saying it's high maintenance to make love! Sign me up! :D

troggy likes this.
  22. c-eling

I think the OP bailed on his thread :laugh:
    My nieces and nephews (2 college age) have no interest either. All via their phones. Looks like I'm going to have to gift my collection to someone here on the forums :shrug: :laugh:

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

In ten years, I see normalcy returning.

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Crate digging and buying from the dollar bin aren't the same thing. They can overlap, but just because someone is crate digging doesn't mean they are only buying from the dollar bin or even looking at the dollar bin at all. Not to mention dollar bins have vanished for the most part at most stores I've been to over the last few years in a few different cities. One can crate dig for a $1 record or a $100 record or all points in between.

25. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

The other irony is I've actually had more CD's that have skipped in the last 20 years (a couple from broken or faulty cases and a couple my own fault from lack of storage) than I've had skips on lp's. Not to mention that CD's are always subject to the quality or endurance of the player (the lasers can vary and some "play through" blemishes and others may skip or stop the player).

LP's are undoubtedly an imperfect format. That's part of their "realness" in my eyes. Yet every format has many of the same potential issues.

perplexed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.