Will We Get a 30th Anniversary Edition of The Cults Sonic Temple in 2019?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

the bands 2 previous albums have deluxe editions. anyone think they will release a 30th anniversary edition of sonic temple in 2019?

Old Rusty, scotti and melstapler like this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Did we get one for Love or Electric?

scobb, melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

read my first post. there is a love boxset and electric was released with peace

melstapler likes this.
  4. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I certainly hope so!

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It's funny. This album was a huge commercial success and the music decidedly does NOT suck....but Ian Astbury does not speak very highly of this album in interviews. At least the interview that I recall ( I think it was VH1 Behind The Music?) So I wonder if the band is keen on doing it in the first place.

Well- they should! There are plenty of demos and alternate takes available in collectors circles, yes?

Sean, melstapler, The Hud and 2 others like this.
  6. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Fingers crossed here. Hope it happens!

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Weren’t most of them already released on the Rare Cult box (which most fans I think already have?) Even if they included the relevant stuff from the Rare Demos set, it seems like it might be getting close to the scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel stage...

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

surely even if the demos and out-takes have been released they could put something together, perhaps a dvd of the tour, if they were switched on enough to film anything?

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I would guess so since a tour doing the album in full has been discussed/rumoured for a few years now. The only thing is that I wouldn't definitively count on it being next year since they have done the previous two on "odd" years (e.g. 24th anniversary for Love, 26th anniversary for Electric).

In saying that, I still think it would most likely be next year than 2020 though since the band are between albums and it would fit in better.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I’d love to get a Sonic Temple tour live set but I have a hunch it would only be available as part of a Super Deluxe set that already included the era’s non-album tracks and demos, most of which I already have on Rare Cult (missed out on the demos box when it was still reasonably priced...)

11. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

It would be great to get a new vinyl cut, spread out on two albums and including the track missing from the OG lp. What was it, Soldie Blue?

Old Rusty, aroney and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. FourWalledWorld

It was Medicine Train.

Old Rusty, Matthew Tate and johnny q like this.
  13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, that's the one. thanks for that ;)

Matthew Tate and FourWalledWorld like this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

15. FourWalledWorld

More dates listed here - Cult Tour Dates 2019

Going by the poster image posted on the Cult Central message board, it looks like a reissue is confirmed as well.

16. Matthew Tate

exciting news

melstapler likes this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

As Ian goes, so the show goes -- if he's engaged, it's great. If not, well...

I'm really curious to see how he approaches this album, most of which I have never heard live.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. FourWalledWorld

Yes, I wonder will it mean the whole thing or just a heavy number of selections. There's a lot of songs ("Soul Asylum", "Soldier Blue", "Wake Up Time for Freedom" for example) that I couldn't imagine them playing in 2019.
    Perhaps they have come up some different arragements though...

Matthew Tate and twicks like this.
  19. FourWalledWorld

In Billy's latest newsletter, he says the following of the tour's setlist:
    "With it being a couple of months away the set list isn’t finalised but expect to hear some of those album tracks that haven’t been played live in quite a while!"

Hush, twicks and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. liked this album back in the day. wonder whether they've met any girls in the ensuing 30 years not named "little honey"

St. Troy, Sean, driverdrummer and 2 others like this.
  21. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Billy Duffy's latest update in full...

"Since I was last in touch there has been a whole bunch of new shows announced with The Cult for May and June going out under the banner ‘A Sonic Temple’.
    With it being a couple of months away the set list isn’t finalised but expect to hear some of those album tracks that haven’t been played live in quite a while!
    I’ve been following the ‘addicts’ posts about the tour and appreciate it’s a bit frustrating when you don’t see your country or town appear in these dates but rest assured we are working on more for the later this year. It’s a bit like a puzzle and we need all the pieces in place and dates 100% confirmed before making an announcement. We are aware that there are a lot of you who will travel long distances (even to different continents) for our shows so we need to be sure nothing will change to avoid causing problems.
    I know I’m like a broken record here (hopefully not one of ours though) but the ONLY place to be sure you’ve got the official tour news and updates on The Cult is at www.thecult.us!"

Still no concrete news as to whether the album is getting the deluxe treatment. I'd love a reissue of Sonic Temple, huge fan of it back in the day.

22. FourWalledWorld

It's odd since the poster here (https://scontent.fyvr2-1.fna.fbcdn....=080596ba98cf88dd0d704dc907d8ac20&oe=5D28B11C) promotes a reissue "now available".

Even if we were to take into account that it means it is "now available" in early June (the date of the show), you would think we'd have an announcement by now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Yeah, I noticed that line in the poster. Strange one. They did such a good job of the Love reissue & tour, I thought they'd be keen to replicate it, but this does seem to be done a bit haphazardly. Hopefully an announcement's not too far away.

Matthew Tate and FourWalledWorld like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

25. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

A Deluxe edition of Sonic Temple would be pretty sweet although I can't imagine many quality audio tracks that most of us don't already have. A live concert, a documentary, and a nice book would get me to bite. I haven't missed a tour in 25 years but New York is not in that press release. Guess I will have to wait until later in the year.

Matthew Tate likes this.