Will Wood Glue Remove Wood Glue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jtw, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Will Wood Glue Remove Wood Glue? Place your bets. I tried to use the wood glue cleaning method last night. Woke up this morning, and tried to peel the dried glue. Didn't get a clean peel. There is glue in spaces as narrow as one groove wide. Others are larger. Lots of areas. Can't get them off with a toothpick. I've used glue before, but when applying it this time, I tried to press the glue into the grooves a little. I just re-glued it. We'll see what happens.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  2. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Yes, it should work. I had the same thing happen. Give the glue 24 hours to fully harden this go round.

wgb113 likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It should. Did you use Tightbond II? IF not, I would switch to that.

4. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

worst case scenario you can wet the areas with water and let it soak in overnight. Wipe off excess water in the morning and reapply the glue in a large enough area to peel as per usual.

In my experience as a building tradesman all those yellow glues are dissolvable in water, even the supposedly "waterproof" (or "exterior") ones.

5. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

Yes it should... happened to me before

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you made it nice and thick, it should glue to itself and come off. It's where you don't spread a decent bead and it gets thin, especially in the lead-in or run-out, that the Titebond II seems to get flaky. I would have recommended a guitar pick "sharpened" by rubbing it on carpet as a tool to scrape off the crusties; that's what I use to get the peel started.

Echoes my experience:

7. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. Worked. Thanks, all. 1st application was too thin.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

9. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

You didn't use enough thats why it didn't peel

10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

This sounds like a Zen koan.

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Anyone ever have the glue adhere to the record and refuse to let loose? I'm using the same Titebond II that I always use, did three records, two of which peeled fine. But it simply won't let go of the Doby Gray album. I've gotten maybe 1/4 of the surface clean, but don't have any ridges to get under and it's bending the record. I'm afraid I'm going to have to trash it.

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

try to do a second coat of glue, it might pull up the stubborn glue from the first pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.