Willard Grant Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies Thread Starter

Doesn't seem to be any threads for this brilliant collection of talent, a few posts over the years by me and a coupla others, but that's about it. So now there is ...

I've been listening a lot to the new Ghost Republic recently, meaning new to me, it came out with little fanfare in 2013. It had been about 6 years since their last one, so I wasn't paying much attention, even though I still regularly pull out my favorites Regard the End, Flying Low and Mojave. But I completely missed this one last year, strange since I've been a big fan in the past. After a few days of listening, I could easily see it being one of my fond remembrances of this period of time, and a favorite for years to come. I haven't nearly absorbed all the brilliance, but after a few listens I know it is there in abundance, and will pay back many times over in the future. Beautiful recording, brilliant music. Mainly just acoustic guitar and viola and that voice ... to start, but it gets noisier as it moves along, more electric guitar and feedback coming in the second half, a little more attitude. It gets a vinyl release this time too, though may be getting harder to find, likely comes from Europe, but I'm gonna work on it ...

[​IMG]

It did pick up a best of the year for 2013 at Famous Last Words (interview below), so it's good to know that some people are still in-the-know, and the full 41 minute record is on youtube backed by a film ...

http://famouslastwordsrecords.com/interviews/life-becoming-a-ghost-town/

2. Mojave is an amazing record! And yet it's the only WGC I have ever heard.

hodgo and Davey like this.
  3. Davey

Yea, you owe it to yourself to check out some of the others. I like Mojave a lot, some great songs, especially the opener and closer, really foretell what The National would do a few years later to much bigger acclaim, but I think they do have better records. Especially this new one, but it's a lot different from those times in the mid to late 90s. But to others, if you haven't heard "The Visitor" that closes out Mojave, it's pretty nice 8 minute slice of music ...

4. Davey

This Ghost Republic really is a beautiful recording, very enchanting. Not for everyone, but there's an honesty to their sound that is quite appealing to me, it's just great to be around in these times when so many artists are creating such heartfelt music.

5. Davey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.