William Tyler: Modern Country

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ryan7267, johnnypaddock, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  2. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

This is a very excellent record. I've had it for about a week, but already it's one of my favourite releases of 2016.

And the personell...man...just marvellous playing. Having Glenn Kotche and Darin Grey on board just makes this record all the more wonderful.

e.s. and Davey like this.
  3. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Great record and thanks for starting the thread. I too have a bad pressing and have been too lazy to ask for a replacement. Also not confident I'll get a decent replacement. Most of the things I've read suggest he's getting better with each record, but I think Impossible Truth is still the best.

Davey likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Wow, first listen to this today and love it already. Feels like an ultra cool country-folk soundtrack, very cinematic, and great playing throughout by a top set of musicians. The songs are given a lot of space to move around and develop, and even sometimes change direction too. Pretty good sound quality too, even though I'm just listening to MP3 quality right now. Gonna have to buy the real thing now, this year is getting pretty expensive for me ...

5. Sprocket Henry

Thought you might like this one. It's a wonderful record - most ideal for the road. :)

6. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I've been on the fence about this but really need to get it and check it out. Any more comments on the vinyl quality? Anyone heard the cd?

7. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I live in the UK and my pressing is very good. Flat no noise etc. The music is wonderful too. My LP of 2016 so far.

8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Listening to this again today, really nice. I was listening to some Silver Jews last week and hadn't realized he played guitar in that extended Silver Jews band that Berman put together for those last three records, beginning with Bright Flight. Lambchop too, it's all kind of interconnected in a weird way, even though they make different music, there still seems to be a synergy to it all, well, at least in my mind :)

9. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Put on my favorites list. Sounds right up my alley!

10. Sprocket Henry

Indeed! :) Where this album's concerned there's all sorts of paths crossing:

William Tyler: Lambchop, Silver Jews
    Darin Gray: Jim O'Rourke, Loose Fur, Glenn Kotche projects, David Grubbs, lots of other stuff.
    Glenn Kotche: Wilco, Jim O'Rourke, Loose Fur, Darin Gray projects, etc.

Which sums up a lot of my favourite music from the past ten years.

11. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Cd sounds great. Album is good but Kotche is not really featured much. He's mostly in the background.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Deseret Canyon. Just saying. Better then Modern Country, not that MC is a bad album. Deseret Canyon the bastard child of Neil Young and John Fahey. And unnoticed gem.

[​IMG]

athensdrums and e.s. like this.
  13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Love Modern Country, and your description of this album sounds like something I'd like even more.

14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'm very interested in hearing this guy's music. My thanks to the OP, and to Whoopycat for the good word on the CD, i'll be ordering it.

15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

All this sounds intriguing, thanks.

Not only is this artist off my radar, I think my radar has been off.

16. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Just picked this up today and am really enjoying it. Had only heard Modern Country; now I'll investigate his other albums.

17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I enjoy both Modern Country and Deseret Canyon very much.

18. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Just got hip to this guy because he is opening for Jonathan Wilson on a West Coast tour in September.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

His new album Goes West is fantastic...

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I enjoyed my first listen to this album, and I'm looking forward to settling in with it. My first impression is that he's incorporating more of the "Windham Hill" side of his music on this one... Although that might be due to the power of suggestion after I read his post on Aquarium Drunkard.

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I confess to liking a lot of Windham Hill artists... guilty....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.