Willie Nelson "Teatro" The Complete Sessions CD/DVD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Released by Island in 1998 and produced by the great Daniel Lanois, "Teatro" was Willie Nelson's 51st album. Although it's hard to believe the original album was released nearly 20 years ago, the new expanded reissue from Modern Classics/Light In The Attic compiles the entirety of those sessions to include a whopping 7 bonus tracks and a DVD documentary concert performance of the album by filmmaker Wim Wenders. Producer Daniel Lanois recorded the album at an old movie theater in Oxnard, California. Emmylou Harris contributed vocals for duets and on backing vocals, while Lanois played guitar and bass, in addition to took the album's cover photo and wrote one song on the album, entitled 'The Maker.'

Modern Classics Recordings
    MCR920CD/DVD

Disc: 1
    1. Ou Es - Tu, Mon Amour? (Where Are You, My Love?)
    2. I Never Cared for You
    3. Everywhere I Go
    4. Darkness On the Face of the Earth
    5. My Own Peculiar Way
    6. These Lonely Nights
    7. Home Motel
    8. The Maker
    9. I Just Can't Let You Say Goodbye
    10. I've Just Destroyed the World (I'm Living In)
    11. Somebody Pick Up My Pieces
    12. Three Days
    13. I've Loved You All Over the World
    14. Annie
    15. It Should Be Easier Now*
    16. One Step Beyond*
    17. Send Me the Pillow*
    18. Have I Told You Lately*
    19. Till I Gain Control Again*
    20. Lonely Little Mansion*
    21. Things to Remember* * Previously Unreleased

Disc: 2
    1. Live DVD
    [​IMG]

2. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I pre-ordered the expanded Teatro from Light in the Attic and have it in the "on deck" pile for listening (and watching).

melstapler likes this.
  3. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

How is the new mastering?

GerryO likes this.
  4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Is this already out of print?:cheers:

Matthew Tate and Tjazz like this.
  5. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

Anyone care to share some thoughts about this release? I love the original album and enjoy the few videos from the film that is available on YouTube. This set is a bit pricey so I'd like to have some idea about what I get for the money, soundwise.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

melstapler likes this.
  7. The first Teatro CD was excellently mastered. This set sounds fairly similar. I only picked it up for the bonus tracks. I can't believe the prices it's going for on Amazon, but that is what happens now to recent CD releases when Amazon's distributor runs out of stock.

Larsen likes this.
  8. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I ordered it last year only to be informed my order was cancelled fue to OOP. The first HDCD sounds amazing and I need no improvement in quality, but the extras are intriguing!

melstapler and Dennis Metz like this.
  9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Man! I'm feeling glad I bought this when I did. I absolutely love this album. The original disc has been a favorite of mine since buying it in the 90's. The extra tracks and dvd were most welcome.

Larsen and melstapler like this.
  10. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I was able to pickup a copy for $20 + shipping from the link @Tjazz included above. It arrived today.

GerryO likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How are the bonus tracks?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I missed this release altogether! Just placed my order!

13. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Glad this thread popped up. I had no idea this existed.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  14. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’ve been meaning to get this for ages - don’t have a copy at all so bought the original HDCD for just over £3 shipped on eBay.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Fascinating, especially the version of "The Maker". I've only ever heard Dave Matthews cover it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I don't have either recording handy, but doesn't Willie's version of "The Maker" use the same instrumental track as on Lanois's Acadie album?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

They are quite similar, but definitely two different takes. The Teatro version also features more prominent percussion. The original sounds introvert, while Willie's sounds more extrovert - if that makes any sense. :wiggle:

EDIT: I am quite sure that Teatro was recorded live in an old movie theatre in California.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    enro99, Matthew Tate and majorlance like this.
  18. Sterrett

Sterrett New Member

I have a VHS release that features Willie, Emmylou and Daniel performing Teatro with a full band in the theater where it was presumably recorded. The length is about 52 minutes. Is there any additional content on this DVD?

"The Maker" is covered beautifully by Emmylou Harris on the live Spyboy CD/DVD.

Is anyone aware of this being available for purchase anywhere. Been watching Discogs, Ebay, and Amazon for months with no luck and even emailed Light in the Attic to see if they had any leftover copies but got no response.

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. You aren't kidding. After seeing your post, I went hunting around the net to see if I could find an available copy. Including sites in foreign languages. The CD/DVD set is completely off the market. Very few copies must have been struck. As someone that regularly hunts rare and obscure CDs, it's like this item never existed. Haven't seen anything like this for a relatively recent release.

RJPDX, Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Maybe try emailing them again? I bought mine directly from them about a year ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Heads up for those interested (since i went and ordered mine already) there's some copies of this for sale on Amazon at the moment, go figure...

22. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

wondering if anyone managed to get this after i put the word out, mine was supposed to arrive last friday, rescheduled for delivery today, was delivered to Georgia, but i'm in Ohio....

...so ticked off.....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

This set needs to be brought back into print ASAP. I've never heard of a non-limited edition release only being available for such a short period of time.

RJPDX, Larsen, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah I missed it altogether and never used copies out there

RJPDX and melstapler like this.
  25. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

Yeah, I’ve been looking for a copy of the complete sessions for awhile. Hard to believe it’s so scarce. Luckily my local library has a copy, which I borrow occasionally. As for the DVD, the sound is very good, but the video quality is atrocious.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.