Wilson Audio Debuts the TuneTot

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

yeh...and Rome is burning while Nero fiddles...

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am sure Wilson knows their market - they have been so very successful. This way-overpriced "TuneToy" will sell despite what we (and many others) may think.

No Static, LeeS and Ham Sandwich like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahahha. A 2-way with a paper woofer and silk dome tweet. $10k. Wow.

SandAndGlass and showtaper like this.
  4. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Agreed... it's a very overpriced product that will sell to exactly whom Wilson is targeting (the type of people that will get an extra warm and special feeling when they don't blink at the $2k ISOBase!).

SandAndGlass and Metralla like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm not shocked at the price knowing it's from Wilson. I'd expect a similar speaker from Magico to be priced similarly or higher (likely higher).

If it has the right style of sound and style for the fans of Wilson speakers I'm sure it will sell.

LeeS likes this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I'm surprised so many are complaining about the price. This is not out of line with similar performing audio gear. The quality of sound these put out is in line with the price. Even the IsoBase which seems pushing it at $2,000 is made from aircraft aluminum and Wilson phenolic material painted to match the monitor. It's hard to complain too loudly if you don't know the labor and parts cost.

7. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Most people today don't want to pay for labor (see the lower cost of Chinese made goods).

As for the "parts," i disagree completely that there is any honest relationship between the cost of the parts and the 10 to 13k price tag on the speaker. You are citing "paint" and "aluminum" as if these things are expensive. They are not. Compare the parts in this speaker to another item of technology, such as a new Macbook. A new Macbook is $999. The parts for a new Macbook are going to be more expensive and the technology far advanced from the speaker. Why is the speaker so expensive then relative to the Macbook? In this case it is likely labor, scale of operation and prestige associated with the Wilson name. But no way it is parts.

8. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Did someone from Wilson set them up for you on your desktop? ;-)

When I first saw the pics I guessed $7500...

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, in regards to Magico, $9800.00 will get you these.

Magico A3 - Press Release

SandAndGlass and darkmatter like this.
  10. LeeS

Nah, I just followed the owner's manual. :)

11. For $10K plus I'd want a better name than TuneTot. Sounds like a toy.

12. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

The most surprising thing to me is that they are not active monitors. If they were active and the $10K price included all the extras then it might not seem so insane.

13. LeeS

I think Wilson probably feels other firms have more expertise in amplification.

Tullman likes this.
  14. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

The name reminds me of this SNL skit. :p

[​IMG]

brew ziggins and ServingTheMusic like this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

Or....

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. LeeS

Aha, I think I will call the full review King Tot. :)

17. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yeah yer right. A person who had $13K US for a set of desk top monitors won't blink twice at dropping another $10K or $20K or even more for an amp and source(s). I would love to hear them on my desk. But alas... It's like the Ferrari that I won't get to drive!

18. LeeS

Gotta cabinet made of stone-a.

Pinknik, Billy Budapest and No Static like this.
  19. LeeS

Or maybe a Schiit Saga/Vidar combination for $1,100 will drive them? Spend the money on the speakers and save elsewhere?

20. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I think that would be a really interesting follow-up piece if you can swing it.

21. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

For a mini monitor, its a absolutely shocking price.
    I dont know of another mini-monitors priced over 10 000$, hell I dont know of another mini-monitor priced over 5k which is the joseph pulsar. this is a mini monitor, 2 way, with not even a 6 inch woofer, but a 5.75 inch mid bass.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. the people who most need to realize that this is a problem are oblivious.

peter fuller and Robert C like this.
  23. ServingTheMusic

I know a very wealth audiophile who bought a $15,000 DAC and $1000 USB cable to stream Pandora.

Let's not kid our selves..whom ever buys this for use on a "desktop" is going to spend 13 grand to stream YouTube videos.

24. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Many years ago I owned a loudspeaker company. So just let me politely say, to those putting the product down because of its rather lofty price, you're not paying for the drivers, cabinets, etc. You're paying for all the research and engineering that went into creating them.

Thank you.

25. felixa

felixa Forum Resident

The price is not shocking. Any person is free to ask whatever price he or she wants. Shocking is someone paying it, considering the many excellent speakers in the market. But anyway, if someone wants to pay a lot of money either for status or for believing that the speakers are out of this world, so be it.

Jack Flannery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.