Wilson Audio Debuts the TuneTot

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Maybe - but what you ARE paying for is the name on the badge: Wilson Audio. They have always been expensive.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

...in high end audio, over the past 25 years, the price IS the product.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

For years the industry used R&D to justify to cost of very expensive cables.

it seems research can be valued arbitrarily.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Like Ferrari. And like the exotic sports car market there are speaker brands that are more expensive and more exclusive than Wilson. Wilsons are the Ferrari or Lambo of speakers in terms of price, reputation, availability and performance. There are other speaker brands and equipment brands that aim for the Koenigsegg and Bugatti crowd.

JNTEX and Metralla like this.
  5. ServingTheMusic

Sorry, but the cost, profit margin, and engineering that go into a Ferrari BLOW AWAY a Wilson flagship speaker. Not even close.

SandAndGlass and Ghostworld like this.
  6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

D.D.

Rolltide likes this.
  7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've only driven a Ferrari once in my life. I have listened and enjoyed Wilson speakers many times. If I owned a Ferrari I would not let you drive it; if I owned Wilson Audio speakers I would be delighted to let you listen.

The high performance car and high performance audio analogy often does not work.

SandAndGlass and Rukiki like this.
  8. ServingTheMusic

...to correct my self, a Ferrari has a far, far lower margin....for a far more sophisticated product.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Ham Sandwich

The Ferrari car analogy doesn't fully work. The way I think of it is that if someone won the lottery they're going to say they want to buy a Ferrari, even if they have never driven a Ferrari before and don't know what a Ferrari drives like on public roads and how much trouble they are to take care of and maintain. You want one because you won the lottery and it's a Ferrari. Same with Wilson speakers for an audiophile. If you are an audiophile and you win the lottery you're going to want Wilson speakers, even if you've never heard them before and don't know what sort of room in your new lottery winning home the speakers will be suitable in. I consider Wilson to have similar availability for buying and name recognition as Ferrari or Porsche. Most big cities will have a Wilson dealer. Most big cities will have a Ferrari dealer and a Porsche dealer.

10. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Ferrari never produced a small city car, that's the difference.

JNTEX likes this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

Some of the older Ferrari's were pretty small. A Lambo Miura is also a rather small car.

Metralla likes this.
  12. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

It isn't like Wilson is the only one making small speakers and if you want a pair, you have to pay their price. There are plenty of options out there to choose from. Some might even cost more than the Tunetots. I find it quite amusing that forum members who don't have the resources to purchase a product will ridicule it, question it's worth and insult those who would be inclined to purchase it. I have heard many Wilson's, Magico's, Sonus Faber's, etc, etc. All well above my ability to purchase. I have, without fail, enjoyed the experience of listening to all of them and given the opportunity will enjoy the experience again.

Morbius likes this.
  13. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

desktop small speakers for 10 thousand $. HAHAHAHAHAH worst part : wilson are serious, and people will spend this much on these tiny speakers.
    10 thousand dollars can buy one helluva stereo system, mono block amps, cd player, speakers, descent cables, speaker wire, preamp, .....nah, i need little computer speakers instead.........
    wow, some people............are just crazy

affordability is not the issue, its just common sense to not drop this much money on a tiny pair of computer speakers. hahahaha makes me smile, knowing many will purchase these, as i sit back, and laugh. enjoy your new speakers.........hahahahahahah s u c k e r s

murphythecat likes this.
  14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

10 grand is a lot, but the pricing is not out of line from Wilson. I remember their Duette bookshelf speakers being like $14k, and I think the stands for them were close to $2k. I went to an event to hear them, and let's just say that they left a lot to be desired.

With regards to the Tunetot, I don't see that many recording engineers running out to buy these over what is currently available on the market. What benefit will it offer for them over the tried and proven? This will be for audiophiles. Nothing wrong with that if that if you've got the cash, but let's be real.

15. John

John Senior Member

Well I'm glad to see it's only a 4 figure price tag, 5 figures for a desktop monitor would have been a bit silly.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right.... a cheap Ferrari would harm the brand. That's the rule for all luxury products, especially with a low run.

showtaper likes this.
  17. John

John Senior Member

Man, now I want tater tots!

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Absolutely true.

If you buy a BMW (entry level)... the parts costs appr. 30%. The other 70% are engineering, machines and discount.

I think the material costs of the new Wilson are lower than 30%. The profit reminds me to Apple's iPhones. Same way to make much money.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I saw the TuneTot cabinets being built. It's definitely a labor-intensive and expensive process. I also am aware of the R&D invested as I heard one of the many early prototypes at the factory.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

A long-standing rule of thumb in high end audio is that selling price should be 5X the cost of manufacture.

21. ServingTheMusic

which they pullled totally out of thin air....

22. ServingTheMusic

Don't forget the Ketchup!
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass, showtaper and John like this.
  23. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

So, what % would make sense to you? How much should they charge for retail price, before dealers getting their cuts to make a living, before paying for R&D, operating cost, shows, supports, and still makes a decent living?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  24. Last edited: May 12, 2018
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Right, not to mention that Wilson speakers are not a mass production product, so the cost is higher. Wilson has been in business for decades so they must know what they are doing.

Still, I totally understand why people are balking at the price of these.

pdxway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.