Wilson Audio Debuts the TuneTot

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agreed.

2. Not sure what you are getting at regarding quoting your post but I am not playing “forum policeman.” I agreed with your post, if you couldn’t tell. Send me a PM if you need to discuss.

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

LeeS positions himself as a reviewer and has discussed industry discounts here and on other forums.

TommyTunes likes this.
  4. So what.

I bought my Oppo BDP-205 at cost—lower than a reviewer’s “industry accommodation” discount—and it doesn’t have any bearing on anything I write about it. I don’t like it any better or any worse than I would had I paid retail price.

JNTEX and LeeS like this.
  5. ServingTheMusic

you are not a member of ‘the press”, or an industry particpent, are you?

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That's a separate issue from the point I was making if it is an issue at all. Unless you have proof that that is the case, it's speculation. If someone here buys a piece of gear at a discounted price, does that render their opinion on that gear somehow less valid that if they'd paid list price ? If that is the case, my opinions on what I've owned or own are moot 'cuz I ain't paying no list price for no gear no how. I'm also not sure Lee Scoggins chatting up Wilson in this thread is that much different than the Sony fanboy going on and on about a particular ES-series piece being God's own CDP in another thread in this forum right now when it comes down to it. I just take what they have to say as information and move on. I'm not going to toss my existing speakers and buy some Wilsons or ditch my CDP and start scouring Kajijii and garage sales for some supposed golden oldie just on someone's say-so here or in a published review. Whether they're a "professional reviewer" or some frothing fanboy. I busted my ass to build a nice "elitist" system and I don't take the elastic band off my wallet without research and damned good reason.

I do think that it should be the case that anyone doing paid reviews should have to disclose whether they have taken advantage of special pricing on the units or brands they are reviewing/promoting just on ethical grounds. And if they get caught not disclosing that, they deserve everything they get here. Both barrels plus the reload. Obviously, the problem will be getting them to disclose that information. So I don't take a lot of this at face value. Lots of people say lots of things about lots of things...

D.D.

macster and Billy Budapest like this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I feel like I’d do the same thing. Now, who do I talk to about getting some deep industry discounts?

showtaper likes this.
  8. Yes, of industry, as well an Oppo beta tester. Not of the audio press, though. I've shared my opinions here about Oppo products, good and bad. That's the writing I was speaking about.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Wilson would never build ”cheap“ speakers. That’s not for the brand. I remember Krell. Whe D’Agostino ”left“ Krell, they lost their reputation. Krell sold a lot in Germany in the past. It’s difficult to find Krell dealers today.

LeeS likes this.
  10. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I do like the stands they come with & bet the speakers sound very good indeed.

As I am a patient man, I might pick up a pair in a year or 3 on the pre loved market for my desk at work.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  11. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

That's interesting. I assumed they were metal from the glossy automotive-style paint. Just goes to prove my point — with a lot of high-end speakers, the bulk of the cost is down to the cabinets, not the drivers or electronics.

12. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

The first Wilson speaker was the WATT, Wilson Audio Tiny Tot. It was small. was originally designed as a recording monitor speaker that was easy to transport. The Puppy came later and was the bass section of the WATT/Puppy.

SandAndGlass and LeeS like this.
  13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Mundorf (Germany) parts are very expensive. Magico uses that coils and capacitors in their big speakers. Mundorf - Inner Excellence

14. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

More like Wilson cannot even compete with the best there is in the 2 way world so they try to add prestige by raising their price of their Tunetot as to appear better then they really are. cause for some audiophile, pricier= better

big difference between "cheap" speakers and the outrageous pricing of the Tunetot.

there's literally no minimonitor on the planet priced as highly. I guess thats why some people complain about the price.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Really... I know only 2 really good 2-compact speakers: Magico Q1 and Wilson Duette Series-2. The only 2 speakers with precise bass!

JNTEX and LeeS like this.
  16. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

lol
    the only speaker with precise bass are from Bose bro

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

18. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

If Wilsons were made in China, to the same specs but with a much lower price, would they still command the same reverance as their American counterparts?

19. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

I feel like Fremer’s article, which the OP cites, includes a not-so-subtle endorsement of the Vanatoo Transparent One as an excellent monitor with a price even audiophiles might consider reasonable.

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I like Wilson's but this is nothing but a cash grab. They apparently sent these out far and wide to get press. A desktop speaker that is not powered is not a desktop it's a monitor. All you have to do is compare them to Wilson's own Sabrina which for 16K gives you a full range speaker.

21. ServingTheMusic

They are what they are. They are going to be sold to wealthy older men who want trophies on their "desktops" to listen to Pandora or YouTube.

..and I am sure they sound good, that is not even in question.

22. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I hope to be a "wealthy older man" one day so I could have trophies on my desktop to go with the one on my arm. But time is running out.

Good grief; the things we worry about...

Tullman likes this.
  23. ServingTheMusic

who said I am worried...? :)

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Who think the Wilson is expensive.... should look at Symposium Acoustics’ 4 level Isis rack. It costs only 30K. ;)

LeeS likes this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm sitting here at my desktop thinking that my fantastic sounding Dynaudios are almost overkill and then I realize that they can be had for less than the cost of a pair of TuneTot Rings. That's just the little colored bands for these things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.