Winamp 6 due in 2019, to shake cane threateningly at llama

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ribonucleic, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Winamp 6, due out in 2019, aims to whip more llama ass

The commenters on the story are... skeptical.

MikaelaArsenault and TheVU like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No real point to this. Plenty of free players exist already and they don't affect SQ. Plus, they'll either pepper uses with ads or demand money.

MikaelaArsenault and ribonucleic like this.
  3. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Nothing more to add about the Winamp relaunch but I gotta say this thread has the best title I've seen here in a looong time. :righton:

jriems, quicksrt, fogalu and 3 others like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

To get this thread back to audio, how well do you think it will play lossless "Last Of The Red Hot Llamas". Enquiring minds want to know, especially early A&M fanatics. And especially Baja Marimba Band fans who do needledrops?

drh likes this.
  5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I am probably one of the rare people who still use Winamp as my computer music player, but from what I'm reading I don't see anything exciting here for me. It sounds like for the most part they are creating a mobile app and slapping the Winamp name on it. I think it is time for me to get out of my comfort zone and select a new player.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I still use WinAmp too - I've tried many other players and just don't like them as much.

GMDuss, MikaelaArsenault and TimM like this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I also use Winamp often just to open digital tracks directly.

8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

The only other one I really tried was Foobar, and I just couldn't get it to look like I wanted it to. I am thinking of trying Media Monkey, I just feel like the players that are still getting updated once in a while have probably advanced well past Winamp in terms of useful features. I am very comfortable with Winamp though and love the way it looks

9. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I use VLC for that purpose. It's also (well foremost, actually) a great video player so there's one less piece of software to maintain. Foobar was my music library player for years until I forgot to back up my configuration before a clean OS install. I couldn't be bothered to rebuild it so nowadays I'm very happy to use Musicbee.

MikaelaArsenault and arisinwind like this.
  10. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I use MusicBee. Used to use Winamp

11. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I use Winamp as well. Since most of my pc listening is while I do comp. related work it plays the files, shows the art and is an old friend.

12. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree. I'm sure my comfort level is the main thing for me. It looks the way I want it to look, and I can make it do most everything I want it to do. I have wanted to try a player that would be compatible with the WASAPI system in Windows so recently I have downloaded MediaMonkey, MusicBee and Foobar just to check them out . After playing around with each of them I just couldn't get comfortable with any of them. Maybe if I spent a couple of months living with them I would feel differently, but it honestly doesn't seem worth the effort. Winamp is not perfect, it can punish you if your files aren't well tagged for example, but I long ago fought my way through that and made peace.

quicksrt and JimmyCool like this.
  13. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I used winamp to run a shoutcast server back in the day. Does shoutcast still exist?

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Hey I got an email from DivX a few days ago telling me they had a new version out...

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

I was going to say "me too," but on reflection maybe I should just aver that I stick with Winamp as a familiar, no frills player. It does what I want without fuss. To the extent the update compromises that, count me out. I have the same view of Cool Edit 96, another audio oldie to which I remain loyal--never went with Pro, as it added nothing worth fighting my way up a learning curve.

JimmyCool and dkmonroe like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Winamp was the very first audio player I ever used on a PC and I still let play music on it almost exclusively.
    Think I won't upgrade, I'm happy with the last version they brought out.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    dkmonroe likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Why?

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It does but it's a lot less than it used to be. I used to have about a dozen radio stations bookmarked and almost all of them are gone now.

19. TimM

TimM Senior Member

That is a fair question. I figure some of the other players that still get updated regularly probably might have surpassed it, but I'm not sure. When I tried out MediaMonkey it did a better job sorting through files than Winamp does. By that I mean Winamp can be very confused by colons, dashes and other symbols in song names. Classical titles can be a nightmare. When it gets confused it dumps them as songs not attached to any album and creates a pile of individual songs.

20. Strat-Mangler

Surpassed it how? PCs from yesteryear definitely struggle with media playback but that hasn't been the case in a very long time. If it's features you're referring to, you're right that it's a rather barebones player but that is what I enjoy about it. It's compact and doesn't have a million flashy things taking up room on my monitor.

That's fair. I would get annoyed on occasion as well were I to encounter this behavior.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not much mention of JRiver, no not much at all.

I've been using it and it works fine most of the time - but o am tired of the look of it in genre/artist/album pane mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.