Windows 10 and NAD 1050 DAC Driver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone_Boss, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for some help getting my NAD 1050 DAC to work on Windows 10 via USB. I previously had it running on XP and it was very simple choosing the driver from wherever it was downloaded to but I can't figure out how to get Windows 10 to see that driver and use it. The only drivers visible in Device Manager are the ones the PC came loaded with, in XP it let you browse for drivers wherever they were saved. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Suggest you check with NAD to see if they have driver updates available for Windows 10.

XP! Yikes! I'm converting the second of my two ancient PC's from Vista to 7 and I thought I was living in the past.

boots likes this.
  3. Tone_Boss

The NAD drivers are Windows 10, just cant figure out how to get them to work. XP was so much easier to use, it was all downhill after XP !!!

4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Sounds like you've already downloaded the drivers: NAD Electronics | D 1050

Unplug the DAC from USB. Unzip the file above and run the "NAD USB Audio Driver for Windows 7 and above" file. This will put the necessary driver files in the correct Windows folders. Now, plug the DAC back into USB and Windows should automatically install it.

5. Tone_Boss

Thanks Ape, I tried that and got an error stating that a digitally signed driver is required so its blocking the installation.

6. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

^ Just Windows being overly protective. Is there no option to run the installer anyway? Sometimes it's hidden under a drop-down menu. If you can't get that driver installed, you're gonna have a bad time.

Try temporarily disabling "User Access Control"; type it into the taskbar search box.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Windows 10 is very strict about unsigned code.

8. Tone_Boss

Ape, it appears that it is a bit more complex I'm afraid How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8 or 10 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)
    This must be a huge issue for DAC manufacturers or any type of hardware that uses a proprietary driver that isn't signed.

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

What a PITA. Looks like "Option Two: Use an Advanced Boot Option" is easiest.

10. Tone_Boss

yeah, I dont know if I want to dabble in that sort of stuff right now, I might just look into a new DAC that has signed drivers. I can test them by downloading from the websites and see if they load. Right now I'm using a low tech work around, running the 3.5mm jacks from the pc to my amp, one good thing about the stock NVIDIA driver is that it has a 24bit 192 setting, so not bad for now.

11. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I don't really understand - if this driver didn't work with Windows 10, NAD would surely have received many complaints by now. You could raise a ticket or try phoning NAD. The number is Lenbrook Group in Canada (905) 831-6555 and ask for NAD technical support.

12. Tone_Boss

Thanks back2vinyl, I agree, I cant be the first person experiencing this, I actually have a ticket in with NAD so we'll see what happens.

back2vinyl likes this.
  13. Tone_Boss

Ape, on a hunch I downloaded the NAD Vista/XP driver and it worked with no problems. I noticed that the Windows 10 driver is an AISO driver and the Vista/XP is a WASAPI driver, not sure if thats the cause but I read that others have had problems with AISO drivers.

14. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Glad it worked out. WASAPI and ASIO are both bit-perfect.

Tone_Boss likes this.
  15. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Unsigned drivers on Win 10 have been an issue with some other DAC's. There is a rumor Win 10 will gain native USB 2.0 audio soon.

Tone_Boss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.