Wings referred to as one of the greatest bands of all time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong. I love Paul McCartney and Wings, but I recently watched a commercial for the 2001 compilation Wingspan: Hits and History, and couldn't help but laugh at the opening line from the narrator:

"As the Beatles went their separate ways, Paul McCartney launched one of the greatest bands of all time, Wings."

2. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

OK OK it wasn't the greatest band of all time, certainly. But they were a great band though!

3. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

It is funny since Paul recently himself said they were terrible lol.

On the record - I own every Wings record and am a McCartney fan...just saying.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's called marketing. Hyperbole comes with the territory.

qwerty, George P, Jarleboy and 34 others like this.
  5. It is pretty funny. They were pretty good especially with the 1976 and 1979 line up.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"The band the Beatles could have been"--Alan Partridge

7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

They're alright.

MortSahlFan and tug_of_war like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

They are not only not one of the greatest bands of all time (although they were very good at times), when the Beatles went their separate ways, McCartney was a good year or so away from launching Wings. Two albums came out post-Beatles and pre-Wings. So, hyperbole with inaccurate historical chronology. Other than that, it's spot on.

BeatlesBop, seed_drill, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  9. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's a commercial. Do you expect them to say 'buy this CD from this pretty good band? Personally I'm a lot more bothered by the fact that that came out 16 years ago.

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

"...Paul McCartney launched a good band..."
    lacks a little bit...

12. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I agree that any wise artist will naturally market itself in as proud a manner as is possible. It's all just labels and the pushing of a product.

That said, any band with Paul McCartney automatically has about 50 legs up on possibly going down as "one of the greatest ever". Just ask the Beatles. :laugh:

Of course he had "a little help from his friends". Namely his bandmates and George Martin. And several others. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Freedom Rock ("Well turn it up man!"), Hey Soul Classics ("No my brother, you gotta get your own."), and "But dad, it's Smokey!" are better record commercials.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The spirits of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore have been conjured. "Well, y'see Dud, what is meant by 'greatest' is in fact in reference to the girth of all concerned. It's a well known fact that being on a sheep farm in Scotland, Mr. and Mrs. McCartney happened to be eating a lot of mutton. Mutton for meat, mutton for broth, y'know, it's very fattening is mutton. Before you could say bigger-than-Jesus-haha, the McCartneys and Denny Laine had ballooned up a treat y'see, thus qualifying Wings for one of the 'greatest' bands, in fact almost rivaling Canned Heat, Baby Huey & The Babysitters, and The Mamas & The Papas." "I can't argue with your logic Pete." "Why's that then Dud?" "Well, it's because we've both died innit? Spectral apparitions aren't known for their arguments so much as their chain rattling and scaring the living really, at least in my experience, and anyway, we 'aven't even got any wings!"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    freq, Jarleboy, Sneaky Pete and 7 others like this.
  15. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Well, Paul's one of the greatest musicians of all time, so...

16. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

If Wings is one of the greatest Rock and Roll bands ever then I declare Gene Simons and Paul Stanley of Kiss to be the greatest song writers of the 20th century.

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

no that belongs to Paul too!

18. If I Can Dream_23

Makes perfect sense to me. :shtiphat:

19. If I Can Dream_23

Very true. And Gene and Paul (Stanley) would be the first to agree. At least I know Gene would. McCartney was his idol. :)

20. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Well the hyperbole must have worked, this is one of the first albums I can remember buying on release. At Costco!

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I wouldn't say they were one of the greatest bands of all time, but they sure brightened up the 70s with a string of excellent singles. Some decent albums too. If you give them a chance.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm a huge Beatles fan and have been since the early 60s but I never really liked Wings apart from a handful of songs. I saw them at Wembley Arena in 1979/80 and much as I love Paul, it was a fun show but they certainly weren't one of the greatest bands of all time.

23. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I'm not a Wings fan, but objectively, this band had enough number 1 singles and albums to be called "one of the greatest".

24. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

I know, everyone loves 1976 Wings but I say early Wings were indeed one of the greatest bands ever! Pre-BOTR Solo Paul is the best! He was a real Rocker and free-spirit learning to live outside the Beatles prison and digging his rapidly growing family. He was so organic back then! Great reefer and free-spirited music!

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I prefer chicken wings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.