Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Tropic Island Hum

Tropic Island Hum Forum Resident

Thank you. :)

In a way I was hoping for the “rough mixes”. Cool to imagine an even rougher version of Wild Life. :cool:
    But this track list is great, too.

2. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I don't think that I have processed that we are all finally going to see Bruce McMouse.

3. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Here's some HD 3000x3000 cover art for Red Rose Speedway and Wild Life:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr. Explorer and chacha like this.
  5. Tropic Island Hum

Tropic Island Hum Forum Resident

In spite of any “reservations”, I’m so happy Paul is giving these two albums the deluxe treatment. They deserve it. Underappreciated albums, IMO.

6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

THANKS! Got the Wings Uber box and 3 stones singles boxes for 426.00 US dollahs!! Free Shipping!! You da dog, dawg!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mr. Explorer and Mazzy like this.
  8. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Try placing a new order with a different email address, sometimes that works....

9. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I second that emotion, except I never had buyers remorse over TROUBLE NO MORE.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

They better not have forgotten to include the Braille message on RRS!

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The super deluxe is basically 25 pizzas. No more pizza.

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Having taken a step back from all of this for a few hours, I have entirely re-thought my position on it all.

In days of anticipation of these sets being announced, hanging on to every post in every thread about them, it is easy to get obsessive about it, get caught up in the thrill of the chase and believe I really must have it all. It was the same with the latest Dylan Bootleg Series set and with the White Album box.

But...I have had both of these albums on vinyl since the 70s along with all the attendant singles. I have had both of these albums on CD since the 90s with perfectly acceptable sound to my hearing (which is damaged and therefore incapable of appreciating perceived audiophile qualities). Of the previously released material here, I already have it all, multiple times over and based on the quality of much of what has appeared on previous archive sets I am not especially interested in most of the outtakes or home recordings, at least not for repeat listening and which form a relatively small percentage of the material here in any case. What excited me about these sets was primarily the video that has been included in the RRS box but as that is not going to be available at a price that I can justify as reasonable I have asked myself, in the calm light of day and with the adrenaline no longer pumping, whether I really need any of these packages at all The answer is "not really", except perhaps the recreation of the original RRS double (either via the vinyl or a rejigging of the 2 CD set). The only thing I will feel I am missing out on is perhaps the RAM era recordings on disc 3 of the box but I will just have to live with that.

And now I need to ask myself the same questions about the White Album box too...

13. BraveLion

BraveLion Forum Resident

I feel overwhelmed by the re-issue inflation represented by past several months beginning with The Beatles Sgt Pepper, White Album and the Lennon Imagine, continuing into the latest McCartney. It seems any re-issue is nothing without 5 or 6 discs, and the trend will continue as long as response satisfies it. I don't need any of them. I have as many of the originals as I desired, and I'm not attracted to collections of outtakes or tracks that they didn't feel were good enough to release in the first place. I'm going home early from the party.

a customer likes this.
  14. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

For those fretting over Wings Over Europe being available only in the Big Bundle Box, remember the Wings Over America Super Deluxe offered Live at the Cow Palace exclusively. Then we found out the Best Buy exclusive 2 Cd set offered Cow Palace as a bonus disc. That saved me from having to buy the Super Deluxe.
    Let's see if Best Buy or Target get Europe as a bonus to their 2 CD sets of Speedway. Wouldn't surprise me.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Did anybody get an order confirmation from Paul's site for the bundle?

omikron and kevintee like this.
  16. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Not me

supermd likes this.
  17. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Hi Luca, what about When the Wind is Blowing? That was speculated to be a RAM era track, but now it is being included on the Wild Life set. Any idea which studio era it originated from?

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  18. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

That's really great!
    I was afraid of a thing "à la" Flowers in the dirt (b-sides download only).
    Fortunately not. Ufff.

Mr. Explorer and Sidewinder43 like this.
  19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

No, and I would like to cancel. But with no confirmation I cannot contact them. :realmad:

supermd likes this.
  20. Yes I got a confirmation and order number.

Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  21. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Yes, I did, an email with an order number & receipt.

supermd likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hoped-for Christmas sales...

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Got a contact phone number for them? :)

24. No. Just this email on the invoice

[email protected]

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I think you guys are both on the cusp of what may be one of the most interesting facets of these collections: the sales data. We’ll likely never know how many pricey uber-deluxe sets sell, but you know who will???

MPL.

It’s almost like this is a trial balloon to see what fans will pay, and count up how many of them (the uber-fans) are still out there. Cuz guess what’s (likely) next? The uber-deluxe Egypt Station! With this ‘71-‘73 set we’re essentially giving them HUGE insights into just how many hardcore fans there are, and just how much they can charge. Let’s remember they’ve never done this with a previous Archive Series release (or new release). But it’s a whole new ball game now.

Btw, several months back, I was assuming the next big release would be a Deluxe Version of his upcoming (then-untitled) album - before our insiders hinted about the “limited, hand numbered Egypt Station box set” that Capitol eventually mentioned, and I speculated about what it might look like. Turns out I was wrong about the release, but pretty damned close on the strategy, IMO. Here’s the relevant part:

I’ve been wondering lately about Paul’s upcoming (?) album or, more specifically, about one aspect of it. In the five years since New, “lavish deluxe sets” have become more popular than ever.

So, is there anyone besides me who thinks Paul might offer up an outrageously priced version from his website with all sorts of bells and whistles for the Uber-Fans? I’m not talking about a “deluxe” New/MAF with a few bonus tracks, or even a “deluxe” (‘not a pizza box’) Electric Arguments-type box set...

I’m thinking something in the $300 range, maybe with elaborate photo books of sessions, facsimiles of lyric books, etc. Seriously, his new album might sell 50k out of the gates - not exactly a huge windfall. But create 1000 “special edition” sets and he could charge a LOT for ‘em. There’s probably 200+ members here alone who’d consider ordering a super-duper version of what they might logically view as “Paul’s final regular studio album” - yeah?

I mean if the Harrison Estate can sell out 1000 copies of a deluxe $350 music item that most of us already have prior to release, wouldn’t MPL be tempted to better that mark?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018