Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Thanks! Its a start.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I fi
    I did. Right away last night.

3. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

I think I misunderstood your question. Did you mean an email confirmation? It did take me to a confirmation page right after I placed my order with order# but no email confirmation

Paul H and supermd like this.
  4. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I haven't received a confirmation email from Music Vaultz yet.

5. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

supermd and EddieMann like this.
  6. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I have to admit I never really "got" Wild Life or Red Rose Speedway.

Wild Life in particular seemed like sleepy demos and outtakes, rather than an official full blown Wings album. But the disadvantage I had going into these albums was I'd been listening to full blown epics like Band On The Run and Venus and Mars (not to mention The Beatles) and only years later did I understand McCartney was trying to strip everything down and make simpler, more direct music.

Now, I can't say I've ever really warmed up to Wild Life - with the exception of "Tomorrow" - but it's easier for me to appreciate where McCartney was coming from and what he was trying to do.

Red Rose Speedway, on the other hand, still confounds me. It's a more polished production to be sure, but with the sole exception of the gorgeous "My Love" (a tip of the glass to Henry McCullough, if you please) the songs still feel second rate and largely unmemorable. Clearly McCartney knew he had something special in "My Love" and the song feels like it had his - and the band's - full attention, but album still sounds to me like "My Love"...and its 30-something minute B-side.

Hats off to Sir Paul for putting together a decent package, though. The big box looks pricey - but if you want a deep dive of early Wings, I'm not sure you could ask for more.

7. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Mr. Explorer and EddieMann like this.
  8. I got both. A web page confirmation which i printed out and an email one as well.

supermd, Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  9. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Come to think of it, I don't think they even ask for my email address. They just took me to paypal

Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Given the direction super deluxe editions have taken the past few years, I wonder if Team Paul ever had any regret about how previous entries were carried out. No doubt "Band on the Run" deserves the attention "Imagine" just got, but that package was kind of skimpy. "Ram" was the biggest let down for me. It was the most expensive box at the time and did contain the rare mono mix and the fantastic "Book of Sheep" :sigh:, but Thrillington is meh, the DVD is super short, and the bonus disc is very disappointing given the 30+ demos known to exist. Who would have thought the bonus disc for Wild Life would have 17 tracks to Ram's 8? "Ram" is currently the price of the "Imagine" set with no hi-res on blu-ray (you have to download it yourself) or any deeper look into the sessions. "Flowers in the Dirt" had a bunch of b-sides to download that weren't even remastered because they figured CDs were on the way out, and then we get these two mega sets today. The series has been evolving, since it's been going on so long, but you have to wonder what they would do with "Band on the Run" and "Ram" today if they hadn't already put out super deluxe's. The full retail price on these new ones is high, and Paul gives you less bang for your buck than the Beatles or Lennon do. Unless you like a lavish book with pictures of him with every release.

The Band, BeSteVenn, supermd and 2 others like this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I wonder if the original double album version of 'RRS' would win you over? I made a playlist of it after the details of this release were announced and prefer it to the released studio album, it just retains my interest more and seems more substantive.

The Band, Carlox, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  12. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Still better then a bag of marbles, scarf and coasters

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Crap. I did not. I did get a PayPal receipt, though...

To clarify, I ordered from Paul's website.

14. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Did you order without creating an account? If so did you give them your email address?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

low bar

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was sent this after ordering :

Imgur

17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I hear you, I felt that exact same way when I first really listened to the entire album. After that, I don't know what happened, because I don't recall myself forcing myself to listen to it many times, but next thing I knew, tunes like Big Barn Bed, Get On The Right Thing, and Little Lamb Dragonfly had crept into my heart! And it became one of my favorite Wings albums.

ausgraeme, The Band, jricc and 2 others like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I did order without creating an account, yes. I logged into PayPal, which has all my info. Paul's website gave me an order confirmation number, but I went to take a screenshot a bit ago and the page automatically refreshed to an empty cart...

19. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Towards the bottom of your paypal receipt there should be an invoice ID #, that's your order confirmation number

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Ahhh, I do see that. Thank you!

21. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Log into Paypal, view the transaction. you order number will be the invoice ID.

Edit
    Ahh you beat me to it!

22. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Does anyone know how many tracks are missing from the 2CD RRS in order to make-up the double-album?

I'm lucky. I only need the 2CD volumes so it's a no-brainer, anxiety-free decision for me! Looking forward to both releases--will be a nice fillip one month after the Dylan Bootleg Series release.

FJFP and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Anyone else think Paul looks incredibly young on the Wild Life cover? Maybe it's just the combination of sunlight, his haircut and the angle, but he looks younger than even the Pepper days, and certainly younger than the Let it Be and Abbey Road era...He looks like 1966 Paul if he'd gotten rid of the Beatle haircut that year!

blutiga and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. Well he is 29 or 30.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Right, he's 29 in the photo but he looks 24. He looked older than this in some promo shots for Pepper, the White Album and Let it Be.

He must have been getting lots of rest and eating right in 1971!