Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I hope the sound quality is better than the boots. Some of these shows were profesdionally recorded. Otherwise it s a bummer for sure

theMess and The Band like this.
  2. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I don’t think there should be any guilt attached to any of this. With your personal connection to this time period, I say go for it. If anyone can afford to buy the things that make them happy, I am genuinely happy for them. Life is too short for envy. Good luck to all of you. I just hope one day I’ll be in a position to catch up and buy all these Super Deluxes in one mammoth spending spree, and believe me it’ll be 100% guilt-free!!!

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

4. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

If you want to how these recording could sound, just check out officially released 'The Mess' live and 'Best Friend' live from Unsurpassed Masters.

ZippyPippy, theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Not to mention Smile Away/Eat At Home from the RAM download. These are professional recordings that have just been kept locked away until now.

6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

But the demo, which has been available for years, was most probably recorded in early 1971.

7. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

The 'Dear Friend' demo likely dates from either January 1971 or some time in Spring of the same year. Hopefully the deluxe book will contain that information.
    But I can tell you with 100% certainty, that Paul did not record 'Dear Friend' during the Ram sessions. It wasn't even on his radar.

8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Finally got order confirmation email for the box from UK UDiscover store this morning after ordering on Friday.

Thrillington, theMess, gibtti and 2 others like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Me to

Jack, theMess, gibtti and 1 other person like this.
  11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Regarding the Wings Over Europe disc:

1. I have a sneaky suspicion that the plan for the proposed live box has been modified. I could imagine that, initially, the idea was to pull together a collection of miscellaneous live recordings spanning Wings' career. But then, perhaps, someone realised that, in practice, it would comprise live 72/73 material and tracks from 79. The 75/76 tour has, of course, been covered well enough by Wings Over America (the orphaned live tracks such as Junior's Farm would still be an oddity on a collection of mostly 72/73 and 79 recordings).

Consequently, my suspicion is that, rather than just abandon the 72/73 material, it was decided to put it to "good" use as part of the Wild Life/RRS reissue campaign. This would turn the "live box" into a new live album from 1979 which could be issued as a standalone album (with deluxe box alternative) or as part of a London Town/Back to the Egg package.

2. While I note @Mazzy's point that that any and every different configuration of the material would raise eyebrows with someone, I can't help feeling that if they'd dropped the idea of a disc of rough mixes of Wild Life - I mean, who knew and who cared? - and instead included that Wings Over Europe disc, we'd all have been happy, no one would have missed a collection of rough mixes and there'd be no need for the divisiveness of an expensive box.

Sean Murdock, Rojo, mrjinks and 13 others like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

But less items to sell which I guess is one factor that motivates the record -company. Collectors are automatically drawn to words like exclusive and limited. People like me that is
    :)

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think the problem is that they already wanted to have some type of expensive box, and the only way to make that work would be to include a very desirable exclusive. Wings Over Europe fits that bill. I'm not a fan of this type of practice but I'm guilty of enabling it. Hopefully they'll throw us a bone at some point. A year after that $600 Bob Dylan box, we got a 36 disc box of live recordings for around $100. Maybe next year we'll get a 36 disc set of Bip Bops.

14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I have always found amazing that John fell for that "I don't know who The Beatles are" bull****. It's nearly impossible that someone living in London in the mid-60s didn't know who they were. Obviously she said that because she knew it would be something that John would find intriguing and exciting, what puzzles me is that she got away with it.

Poor John, for all his wit and talent, he could be so innocent sometimes.

Yes. Back to the Egg, on the other hand, seems to have been reevaluated favourably. I have always loved it.

15. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Yes, I got mine too. I know that it is recorded in 'my orders' but I feel better for having the confirmation email.

I'd feel even better if I didn't look at how much I paid for it.

16. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Wings Over Glasgow would be a VERY worthy addition to Back To The Egg.

17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

No, the various "Mary Had A Little Lamb" promo clips available, plus the original one for "My Love" feature a live vocal performance over the studio backing track from the record.

18. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

How cute. Paul and Linda with the same hair cut. :D

19. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I better start saving in case it ends up another exclusive. Seriously, with the price of the 'big barn box', I have to really think where my priorities lie next year with stuff other than Beatle related. There may have to be some nin-Beatle stuff sold as well.

20. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

But if so, then how would you configure the 2CD version without a whole bunch of people crying foul that valuable material was left out?

Mr. Explorer and yardbuzzard like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Forgotten? Some of us never forgot it...

I've been fond of that album since 1978... :shrug:

22. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Very excited about the Red rose speedway set. not sure yet if i would plunk down 200.00 though. does the 2 cd version contain the visioned double album? I like wild Life but i definitely will get the 2 cd set on that one.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Same thing [sort of] happened to Paul with Heather Mills, though. Although in her case, I think it was just the music she didn't know anything about... She was obviously very aware of who Paul McCartney was... :magoo:

Me too!

24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Mine arrived today as well. Obviously a manual confirmation system rather than an automated one and they do not work on weekends. It is comforting to have a confirmation for an order such as this.

25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Apparently, McCartney's children called Heather "Dad's Yoko" :D

JDeanB, Jayseph, Yorick and 9 others like this.