WIRE - Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by debased, Jan 17, 2018.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I agree 100%. I think a lot of people rate Red Barked Trees higher, but I never got it with that one as much, although it has a few great tracks.

2. bzfgt

I should add I only really like about half of Nocturnal Koreans, not that any of it is bad.

3. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Did anyone see Bob's appearance with Wire last year at one of their 'Drill' performances? That sounded so good a proposition it made me very disappointed I live thousands of miles away.

4. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I would say it is great to see this thread hit 100 posts so quickly if half of them weren't folk arguing about what constitutes 'punk' or not.:oops::chill:

5. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Cool! Then, by God I will listen to that album!! :)

bzfgt likes this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I agree about Change... and Red..., but Send is a whole other thing, one of the most feral and pissed off albums I've ever heard.

Neonbeam and Guy E like this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I totally agree. RBT does contain a few excellent tracks, but to me just isn't as cohesive or consistent as the 2015 S/T. I like Changes Becomes Us a lot too, though it might not appeal to quite as many people.

bzfgt likes this.
  8. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Couple a things:

Wire is a band.
    Who gives a flying frog what genre they are?
    We were supposed to be doing an album by album thread.
    Pink Flag (remember Pink Flag?) is the first record in Wire's discography. Maybe we should respect the OP and stay on task.
    I am as guilty as anyone else for leaping forward.
    Pink Flag.
    Pink Flag.
    Pink Flag.
    "Mannequin" sounds a little like it could have been done by the 101ers:

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

We will get to all of these debates, album-by-album. Right? There are periods of their career that didn't excite me too much, but I never lost faith and the occasional single would blow me away.

bzfgt likes this.
  10. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Hope so. My recent post tried to get us (me included) back on task.
    But if people keep trying to define punk rock...I'm out. :D

bzfgt and Guy E like this.
  11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Even Colin Newman admitted it could have been done by the Flaming Groovies

strummer101 likes this.
  12. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Apologies for butting in with an ignorant question, but... I only know one Wire song, "Kidney Bingos," which I love; however, when at one point I checked out a couple of other things by the band, they didn't gel with me and therefore for the past 30 years, I haven't bother to reinvestigate.

So, given that I like "Kidney Bingos," any tips on particular songs I might want to check out next that might appeal?

13. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

While it wasn't obvious at the time, Eno was a big inspiration on early Wire, and Pink Flag might be thought of as a synthesis of the arty, deconstructed rock of Here Come The Warm Jets with the abrasive energy and minimalist punk of something like Buzzcock's Spiral Scratch EP.

strummer101 likes this.
  14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Check back in when this thread arrives at the album A Bell Is A Cup Until It Is Struck, the singles Eardrum Buzz and In Vivo, and the live remix album IBTABA.

But you might also be enamored of their albums from this century, and some of their earlier work including the soon-to-be-discussed Chairs Missing.

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Bingo! Or Kidney Bingo, if you prefer.

jneilnyc likes this.
  16. bzfgt

Yeah I love CBU. It's brilliant, but the 2015 album is probably even better, I think.

EDIT: Urgh! I am chastened. Pink Flag is a brilliant album, and Fragile may be my favorite song on it...

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Send = music for angry insects...

:

:

...or something.

ralphb and bzfgt like this.
  18. jneilnyc

Another inspiration for early Wire was Bowie, especially his Berlin album Low, which had just come out.

"As Colin Newman of Wire, the most conceptual band of punk’s first wave, recalls in Punk Rock: An Oral History, “I was a big, big Bowie fan [prior to forming Wire]. There was a sense that Bowie was art […]. There was no other music about other than that. There was nothing else to talk about at the time. The fact that people were still talking about Bowie during punk just shows how important he was to that generation and not to be slagged in any way.”"

Spruce likes this.
  19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I think he also said they wanted to be faster than the Ramones.

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Outdoor Miner, an absolutely gorgeous pop song from about ten years earlier.

Ethan B and Peace N. Love like this.
  21. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

More from the ROT cuttings file...article first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

manicpopthrill likes this.
  22. jneilnyc

"[Bruce] Gilbert took his lead from the pre-punk theory and practice of Brian Eno, who was a visiting lecturer at Watford. Eno would become an intellectual and artistic touchstone for Wire. “I have a lot to thank Brian Eno for in terms of the idea that you could operate in music without a great deal of musical skill. I thought this was an ideal opportunity to experiment and see what happens, albeit with song-based, word-based material.”

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I haven't seen this mentioned above but what always intrigued me about my UK original of "Pink Flag" is this small area of silent groove between "12 XU" and the run out groove. So when that song ends and you wait for the stylus to lift off there's a very long - approximately 15 seconds? - period of silence making the room suddenly very quiet. This is awkward but effective. Still wonder who's idea this was....

ciderglider likes this.
  24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

And a gig review clearly from before PF came out but not sure which one it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm kinda embarrassed to think that I've still got these after 40 years...

25. bzfgt

Also early Pink Floyd and Steely Dan.