WIRE - Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by debased, Jan 17, 2018.

1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Gloom Art Rock.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, they were pretty much post punk from the beginning, and I think it’s why the Harvest albums have endured. Pink Flag is never really stuck in its era, and still sounds vital and contemporary today. I think Chairs Missing and 154 are better albums, but Pink Flag is certainly one of the great debut albums. It’s been so long since I last played it, I must dig it out again.

strummer101 and bzfgt like this.
  3. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

For me, it's the ironic detachment in the lyrics and their delivery.

vonwegen and strummer101 like this.
  4. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Wire is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I'm a nut about it all - 70s, 80s, 00s, etc. Side projects from Dome to Githead to Hox.

Pink Flag - an obvious play on Pink Floyd, who they secretly loved (and to whose label they signed). Look where it went after this! "Strange" is the key. It's the only track that truly hints at their future.

I think the narrative here is going to be boring. 75% of people will back out of the thread after Pink Flag, 20% more will back out after 154, and most of the remaining 5% will wait patiently for Send. I would love to see passionate, comprehensive analysis of The Ideal Copy or The First Letter (and would love to see those reissued someday) but I'm going to be disappointed.

5. debased

debased Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I want to focus mainly on all of the studio albums, Pink Flag through Silver/Lead. If you want to discuss any of the singles and EPs, as well as the live, remix and compilation albums, please do so during the corresponding eras. We'll see how well that goes. I'm thinking about hitting Chairs Missing tomorrow night. Does three days seem like a fair about of time for one album? We've got a lot of ground to cover. I'm afraid if I open it up to the solo projects it'll just sprawl on for months. Plus, fights are already breaking out and some posters are getting cranky and impatient.

6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Steely Dan???!!! Newman denied being influenced by Syd Barratt, like Tom Verlaine claiming he'd never heard Richard Thompson you might think.

DRM likes this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Embarrassed? No way!

8. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

It wasn't?

Post #42:
    :D :cheers:

9. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

It's so obvious, it's here, it's there
    It's not just the colour
    It must be more, at Least seventeen-threescore
    This is seventy-seven, nearly heaven
    It's black, white, and pink, just think
    There's more to come
    Hum-hum, hum-hum
    It's so obvious
    Well it's alright, listen
    Can't wait for seventy-eight
    God those RPM, can't wait for them
    Don't just watch, hours happen
    Get in there kid and snap them

vonwegen, strummer101 and ToneLa like this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Well, Graham Lewis has admitted the early Floyd influence, and Newman has expressed his love for Steely Dan, although he didn't exactly call them an influence, but it seems patent to me.

11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

How are Steely Dan an influence on Wire? I honestly can't see that at all!

DRM, bzfgt and Ethan B like this.
  12. jneilnyc

13. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Didn't work on me as my stylus had to be manually lifted off.

14. bzfgt

It's the detachment, and everything in its place.

vonwegen likes this.
  15. debased

16. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

That is very cool.

17. jneilnyc

Looks like they managed to not have to split any of those 2-minutes songs in half!

vonwegen, bzfgt, hamicle and 2 others like this.
  18. debased

Missed opportunity:
    Field Day For The Sundays (Part 1)
    Field Day For The Sundays (Part 2)

19. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Timely thread - I'm just re-reading "Read and Burn - a book about Wire." Been into Wire since day one, see merits in all their assorted endeavors.

When Pink Flag came out I was working in a record shop that was not afraid to buck the trend and give some new stuff a play or two in the shop. During the day, Pink Flag scared a lot of people away, but in the evenings we got several "what's that?" followed by sales.

So, given the pics above my post I guess I ought tom dig out pics of the pre-record DAT of Ideal Copy that I had?

20. jneilnyc

Are you enjoying the book? I found it a bit of a slog, and it left me feeling more ambivalent about the band than when I started it! Luckily that feeling passed...

21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yeah, I couldn't get through it. I understand that the dry, clipped rhythm of the writing was designed to evoke the musical language and philosophy of the band, but it didn't draw me in.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Personally, I listen to later periods of the band more often than the first three Harvest "classics." I'm not sure I'll be able to contribute passionate and comprehensive analysis to any of it, but I'll be putting in my 2-cents.

RTW likes this.
  23. bzfgt

I found it a good read, but maybe I was too fixated on Wire at the time to be objective.

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I also found it enjoyable and really good.

bzfgt likes this.
  25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I really enjoyed Read and Burn; didn't find it a slog at all. If I had one complaint it's that I wished the author had covered at least some of the solo and/or non-Wire output; at least albums that are germane to the subject, like Newman's A-Z and Not To (since both contain lots of ideas that began in Wire, and both involved half of the band [or 3/5 if you include Mike Thorne]). But I still quite liked it.

bzfgt likes this.