Wire: multidisks reissues of the albums Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

looks like there are roughly some 30+
    tracks spread across the titles that have never been released before

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Bump...out today. Any reports?

3. eatandoph

eatandoph Forum Resident

One report in this thread speculates that the mastering for Pink Flag is identical to that of the 2006 version.

Jim B. likes this.
  4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Wow, (almost) the same lyrics to a completely different tune! Interesting, but I much prefer the 'Chairs Missing' version.

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed, but it certainly helps to demonstrate how quickly they were evolving at that point. They made extraordinary strides in just three albums.

ajsmith likes this.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Are they out today? I got an email about my preorder from Bull Moose a couple of weeks ago saying that the release date had been pushed back to next Friday (5/25).

7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

No, it looks like it's pushed back to late June.

Wire - 154

8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

The vinyl and single-disc CD reissues are due out in June but supposedly the multi-disc deluxe sets are still scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed!

SteveFff likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

This thread is about the CD sets not the vinyl - the CD sets are released today here, I saw them all in a shop today - the vinyl is out next month. Looks like the US is going to be a week late then but they are out in the UK today.

Maurice likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's the vinyl, this thread is not about the vinyl but the CD sets.

11. johnasimmons

johnasimmons Forum Resident

Got my 3 sets on cd yesterday... gonna listen to 'em today :)

SteveFff and Mylene like this.
  12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Feedback ASAP, please. Dynamic masterings or brickwalled ear bleeders?

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The 3 Wire sets are nicely done but they have only just arrived and are unplayed. Will try and find some mastering credits. I only go for these 3 Wire albums so will keep the other cd versions and related releases (Peel etc) anyway. The sets are full of bonus material.

14. johnasimmons

johnasimmons Forum Resident

The sets say 'mastered at Skye Mastering by Denis Blackham' but not sure if this is these cds or the original mastering done at the time

15. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Any opinions on sound quality yet?

And are the extra tracks cool enough to prompt you to listen to them more than once? Or are they just sort of "there"?

16. Hmmmmmm!? Meticulously remastered from the original master tapes my ***. These new CD sets are loud, VERY LOUD! Have only listened to the main albums of 'Chairs Missing' and '154' so far.

17. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Do you have DR values?

18. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Something tells me the 1994 CDs won't be bettered... :cry:

19. totmeyer

totmeyer Forum Resident

Colin Newman posted a reply on the Pink Flag forum. He confirmed that the mastering on the new sets is not the same as for the last set of re-releases. His next comment will cause much rending of hair and gnashing of teeth, though: 'Denis [Blackham] who does all our mastering thought he could make them sound "a bit more contemporary" - I have no idea what that means but I trust Denis :) - so he did....'
    Personally, I'm willing to give these a go despite being suspicious of most contemporary things. I am hoping that I'm able to trust Denis too :) I am a huge fan of WIRE and am eager to immerse myself in all of the additional material in these sets. I will eventually get around to listening to the new remasters.

Jim B. and CharlieClown like this.
  20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm not sure that Denis can be trusted. He only has one N in his name.

totmeyer, Remy and yarbles like this.
  21. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I personally will hold off until I find out about the DRs. Those are my barometer these days.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I want to support these releases so I bought Chair's Missing - such a badly designed package, I had to actually rip the inside to get the third disc out.

dlemaudit likes this.
  23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Interesting comment. My own belief is that anyone who does not know these albums is unlikely to bother buying £20 + cds. If a few/some fans don't like the mastering I cannot see these sets selling that well. I bought mine for the bonus material but they are not cheap.

24. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I ordered all three from amazon USA. They list the release date as May 25, but my “orders” section still says delivery date pending. I figured with my amazon prime they’d be shipping today.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:shake: This isn't remotely surprising to me, but it's depressing all the same: another intelligent artist who couldn't care less about how his work sounds, and another supposedly savvy handler who thinks that jacking everything into the red indiscriminately makes it sound more "contemporary". I might have hoped that this once iconoclastic band would have the nerve to go their own way rather than to blandly follow along with the latest trends, no matter how crappy the results.

Vaughan and Jim B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.