Wire - the greatest band of the late 70s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tangledupinblue, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Glad I've seemed to waste yours.:rolleyes:

2. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

He asked why I felt the thread was pointless? I gave my reason/opinion on it. Thanks for your .02_

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

After six pages of enthusiastic discussion, you're the only one who appears to feel misled or aggrieved by the way that the OP posed this. Now you're just trying to justify a threadcrap.

4. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

As are you,congrats

5. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

By the way, there are copies of A Bell is A Cup for less than $10 on Amazon, to the poster who said they were expensive.

6. ..funny you should mention that. I also bought the 3 original discs on release. Anyway due to this thread I listened to 154 again the other night. Around 24 seconds into "On Returning" there is a little skip like sound - is this the same on your disc? My disc is still mint - and in any case my CD player hardly ever skips.

I am wondering if it on the original tapes or just this CD version?

7. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Question: Did any of their other early songs get different mixes on the singles (other than Outdoor Miner)?

8. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

9. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I believe that was the only one until the first reunion era.

10. a door is a jar... unless it is closed

Love Wire! They are one of my favourite bands from the late 70s straight into the late 80s.

Have most of the LP and 12" vinyl releases up to Manscape in '90. A Bell Is A Cup... Until It Is Struck is a great album! :righton:

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Got a used copy
    of 154 Saturday
    with bonus tracks for $5.00

12. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Probably my favorite punk band, their first 3 albums are all amazing, can't pick a favorite out of the 3, all 3 are different but about equally great.

13. captone

captone Forum Resident

yup, 1st 3 albums are classics. Some good stuff after they reformed but not nearly as important or consistent. I do applaud them for exploring new sounds as opposed to trying to recreate the sound of the 1st 3.

I saw them when they reformed in 1986, at the time the Snakedrill EP came out. They didn't play any songs from those 1st 3 records, but the band who opened for them "Ex Lion Tamers" played Pink Flag from start to finish!

14. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Been in a Wire mood last week... Amazing, what are the first three albums great to hear after finding hem back in my cd cabinets. Time for expanding my collection to 'The Ideal Copy' and 'A Bell is a Cup'!

(I suppose thete is still no better, sonically speaking, cd issue of these?)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Guy E likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Pink Flag and Chairs Missing are terrific albums. This thread has convinced me that I need to seek out a copy of 154 as well -- for some reason the description of that one on All Music Guide made me think it might not be my cup of tea, so I'd never gotten around to it. Anyone have any opinions on the currently in print version on CD vs. any prior ones?

16. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Whether or not they were the greatest, I think it can be safely said that Wire were the '70s equivalent of the Velvet Underground in that not many people bought their records, but seemingly everyone who did started a band. Their sound is all over '80s indie rock.

Echo likes this.
  17. Tristero

Not long ago, I picked up their infamous live release Document & Eyewitness, which was recently reissued. I'd always avoided this one due to its rather dodgy reputation, but after hearing a lot of this material get reworked for their later Change Becomes Us release, I was intrigued to go back and check out the old source material. It's a rather difficult listen in a lot of respects--poor sound quality, fractious performance atmosphere--but I've really become fascinated with it. They definitely had the material for a very promising fourth studio album if they'd kept working together at that point, though many of these songs did end up appearing on Colin Newman's solo albums from the early 80s. The new D&E includes some interesting bonus material, like the excellent "Our Swimmer" single and other rehearsals from near the end of their first incarnation.

18. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Wire are without peer. They strike chords in me that no other band - no other art, really - can.

19. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

A good band I own the first 3 albums but Magazine eat them for breakfast in every way .

20. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

So many great bands were spawned from punk. Hard to pick one but Wire is definitely way up there.

21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've been in a Wire mood too; I listened to Change Becomes Us yesterday and Colin Newman's Not To on my way to work this morning. I had Not To on vinyl for years, but never really got into it for some reason. When I bought a CD version it became my favorite of his solo work.

22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Magazine: a bog of prog, a clump of punk and a heavy dollop of pretention. Brilliant! (not).

23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I like Wire. A lot.

But Devo in 1978 was probably the greatest band that ever was.

24. Tristero

Careful, you could be describing 154 there!

25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

:laugh:

I like Magazine's singles, but the first two albums were unfocused affairs and swamped by the keyboreds. Correct Use of Soap was pretty good... Martin Hannett sent Dave Formula off to the pub.

But hey, this is a WIRE thread. Dumping on Magazine is perfectly acceptable.

brianvargo and Brudy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.