Wire - the greatest band of the late 70s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tangledupinblue, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I'm a huge Wire fan, although I'll never say any band is the best of any decade. I love the first three, particularly Chairs Missing which sits perfect between the PF and 154. Just such great stuff.

I've found original UK Harvest versions of 154 and Chairs Missing in good condition finally and have a US Pink Flag. They sound so great on vinyl.

JimC likes this.
  2. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

At last!

I used to confuse Howard Devoto and Devo for years.

Finally they're mentioned together.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I agree with you that Chairs Missing is the ideal balance between the two--more expansive and experimental than Pink Flag, but more focused and concise than 154. I love all three, but Chairs Missing is perfect from start to finish. I also dig some of the singles from that era like "Go Ahead" and "A Question of Degree".

cc-- likes this.
  4. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

To me, their masterpiece is 154.

Progressive and psychedelic - while also having a punky edginess! :D

JimC and cc-- like this.
  5. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I have good UK copies of CM and 154 -- been meaning to treat myself to PF for a while. They're surprisingly available, but still run a pretty high price for NM condition. Anyone have tips on what to look for?

6. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

FWIW, I bought vinyl CM & 154 from the 4 Men with Beards label. The 154 sounded flat, which was confirmed by the acquisition of a Harvest copy that sounds great and lively. Still looking for a decently priced Harvest copy of CM, but the 4 Men with Beards issue doesn't sound half bad.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The problem is that Harvest reissued "PF" for several years under the same catalogue number. Original 1977 copies shouldn't have a barcode on the back and include a solid innersleeve with lyrics and round corners (typical 70's UK style). Ten years ago when demand was high due to bands like Franz Ferdinand there also where counterfeits so watch out when buying online!

What I like about my 1977 copy is the fact that it doesn't end after "12XU". You sit there, wait for the stylus to lift off but there are at least 30 seconds of "empty" groove so the silence in your room suddenly gets VERY loud. No idea if this is some kind of cool concept - to show you the absence of sound - or simply a mistake...it fits the music perfectly!

8. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

ah, that's useful -- there do seem to be an awful lot of copies around online. I'd probably best look for a UK seller then.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Definitely! Check Discogs for matrix numbers or I could post mine:)

10. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Just stopping-in to say how much I love Wire.
    Spinning this one at the moment.

[​IMG]

Roger Thornhill and Tristero like this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It makes me wish that they didn't split up at that point. They could have made a killer fourth album after 154.

crozcat and Em. like this.
  12. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I know what you mean. That first era is something special, but I love the stuff they did when they came back, too.
    In fact, I still like what they're doing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.