Wire - Vinyl reissues 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

Just comparing the previous Pink Flag Cd with this new version from the Special Edition. Track timings are identical. I think they said they were all newly remastered but from what i can tell they've used the same master as the previous version. They do sound very similar. I wasn't exactly expecting a sonic revelation but I was expecting something! I could well be wrong, would love some other views.

2. thejammy

thejammy Forum Resident

Compared to the Pink Flag reissue or the original Harvest CDs?

3. John Barrett

Sorry, should have specified, the previous Pink Flag reissue, 2006? It makes sense as the download on their site is for the 2006 version.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why? Vinyl isn't normally subject to the stuff that they do to CDs in terms of EQ and dynamic range.

5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

True, it normally isn't, but it occasionally can be to a lesser degree. I've heard remastered LPs that weren't brickwalled but you could still hear compression and a decreased dynamic range.

Admittedly, I haven't heard the vinyl for any of Wire's recent releases, so I don't know how those sound.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You have the 7" set don't you? I'd imagine the new LP's will be along those lines and the feedback I have read is that they sound good. You would think the same person would cut both?

7. Pavol Stromcek

I do have the 7" set, and if they can get the LPs to sound like these 7"s - which sound fine to me - then they should be okay.

Jim B. likes this.
  8. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

It's been a while, but I thought the post I was replying to was talking about the RSD 7" vinyl single set.

Edit: I did not buy the box set because I am cheap. I would buy the LPs if they sound good.

9. John Barrett

so apparently, if anyones still interested, "All CDs were remastered by Denis Blackham from the original EMI tapes".

art and black sheriff like this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sorry, you are right. That post was about the 7" set.

Fingers crossed anyway!

Exit Flagger likes this.
  11. chrrrd

chrrrd Well-Known Member

Well, the 2006 versions were mastered by Denis Blackham as well, so either he got the job again (unlikely?) or these are indeed the old remasters… Wire - Chairs Missing
    Maybe that's common knowledge by now…

Could anyone who got the new reissues be so kind and share a few photos of these? I am sort of interested in them but still undecided. Need to see how to they look.

12. John Barrett

Sorry can't share any photos right now but they look great! Just try one and see how you get on i reckon.
    Also i think you're right, these are the same masters as 2006.

chrrrd likes this.
  13. Can't speak for the vinyl but I have the new deluxe CD sets and the mastering is credited to Blackham.

14. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

From the other thread about the CD reissues:

chrrrd likes this.
  15. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Looks like the release date is bumped back to July 20th according to Stranded Records’ website

16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Spied the vinyl in HMV today

What's the verdict? I have originals, but a pretty poor copy of 154

17. Pavol Stromcek

Yeah, I noticed this on Amazon a few weeks ago. Weren't these originally slated for June release?

18. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Yes, I think they were originally slated for release this week. I preordered all 3.

19. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Do people like these. UK originals are pretty pricey!

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

All three are in stock at Amazon.co.uk, yet still show a 7/20 release date on Amazon.com in the US. I have the deluxe CD sets (as well as the first original CD issues), so I am wondering as well how these reissue vinyl versions sound before I purchase.

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

There are a couple of sealed copies (Pink Flag and Chairs I think) up for sale here in the Classifieds (not my sale) if anyone wants to take the plunge... I'm still waiting for someone who has actually heard these before I bite too!

22. John Barrett

I'd love to hear some reviews from those can have originals. I have no idea really but the music itself sounds pretty good, however the pressings aren't exactly the quietest. Would love to know where they were pressed etc..
    Anyone had a listen yet?

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I have mint originals (first three) so if anyone wants a needledrop of a track to compare let me know :)

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have a fist press US Harvest of Pink Flag which sounds very good. Eager for more reviews of these...

25. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

I bought the 3 reîssue LPs last week. only had time to listen to them once properly, but I can tell you that these do sound very good to me. Vinyl is flat and silent, audio seems uncompressed and dynamic. can't compare these with original pressing though.
    Still, anyone with an urge to get them should not hesitate as the LP's sound nice and crankable. I'm happy with the purchase!

granata, MikeT, Exit Flagger and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.