Wireless dongle for Oppo 105

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scottc1963, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, I was wondering if there is alternative to the Oppo 105 wireless dongle out there to buy. I (obviously) can't find one to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Email Oppo, I needed one and they sent me a link to a dongle sold on Amazon. Might be the same one Mike from NYC just sent you.

Rolltide and SamS like this.
  4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I went with the 1mii as it appears to have better SQ.

5. scottc1963

Thank you for the information. I was hoping for something that would plug into the USB port

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

You'll need to get one that is desihned for the Oppo. I tried generic and it didn't work

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's good to know and great of Oppo. I imagine that Oppo firmware contains the drivers for a particular WiFi chipset, and anything of that chipset works. Maybe you could dig through your email and find the link Oppo sent?

8. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I know where the box for the dongle is. I'll dig it out tonight.

9. scottc1963

Hey everybody, Oppo got back to me and here is their reply
    We no longer have the WiFi Adapters for the BDP-105. However, we have tested and confirmed this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N6KI8W/) to work with our BDP-10x players.
    Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc

elvisizer likes this.
  10. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I’m sorta kinda thread-jacking here but I couldn’t find a solid answer in the multitude of other mostly outdated Oppo threads so I figured this thread who’s title is close to my question and would be my best shot at getting an informed answer...

Anyway, is there any USB WiFi stick/device that works with the Oppo 103/105 and 203/205 players that supports 5g? Oppo’s own little WiFi stick only supports 2g and it seems it’s only their WiFi stick that works for their players as far as I have read and experienced. A wired network connection is really not something I want to deal with going across several rooms, etc.

A Roku stick works and gives me 5g speed (Netflix is far faster and more stable via the Roku stick plugged into the player then via the 103/105 Oppos’ own Netflix app) but I can’t use a Roku stick to access my own servers and network media files.

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I simply connect my Oppo 105D via short ethernet cable to a dual-band (2.4/5) Wifi extender such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006V72AHC/

Since I have several ethernet capable devices in my system, the four ethernet ports on the extender come in handy to connect everything to my home network via wifi extender.

Partyslammer likes this.
  12. Partyslammer

Although that’s a bit more than a simple USB WiFi stick, that’s a viable alternative to possible running an ethernet cable through the wall and attic to the Oppo player. Is the Oppo running on your 5g network and not the 2g?

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

It doesn't quite work the way you are asking your question. The Wifi extender runs on my 5g wifi network. All the Oppo cares about is that its ethernet cable is connected to a device that is connected to the internet. Whether the Wifi extender is connected to 5g or 2.4g doesn't matter to the Oppo via ethernet cable, as long as it sees the internet via that ethernet cable. Does that make sense?

Craig.

14. Partyslammer

Yeah, that makes sense in that the Oppo doesn’t discriminate or is limited by bandwidth when it’s pulling data via an ethernet cable connection. The 2.4g issue appears to just be a limitation to Oppo’s own WiFi stick. It just weird that the only USB stick that appears to be able to work with the Oppo at 5g is the Roku stick.

15. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Another option is powerline internet adapter. It works just fine for my 103.

vegafleet and rodentdog like this.
  16. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

sorry to revive a old thread. But can anyone suggest a current Wifi Dongle for my Oppo 105? I moved my router that I had my Oppo connected to and I'm looking to stream music to it. TIA

17. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

gellie likes this.
  18. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Thanks

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

So one day on my 103 I'm watching netflix and now no connection. That's never happened before. Tried different things but always not working so how do I know it's the wireless adapter and /or the network card? I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about.

20. shokhead

Figured it out, the wifi usb is bad, docking station works fine. Can't find one on the cheap anywhere.

21. Oppo recommended this adapter to me when my original USB wi-fi adapter failed.
    ANEWISH Mini Wireless RT5370 USB WiFi Dongle

I can't find the Anewish adapter anymore (I ordered mine on Amazon), but this one on Ebay looks identical and for $2.89, it might be worth a gamble to see if it works.
    USB WiFi Wireless Adapter Mini Network Dongle 150 Mbps Windows MAC Linux 802.11n

shokhead likes this.
  22. shokhead

Cloudburst and pdxway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.