Wireless speakers with a standard stereo receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

My boss asked me to look into wireless speakers for her, and what I believe is that they're mostly for MP3/iPod/Bluetooth use, as opposed to home stereo. She has a 60W Sony STR-GX49Es receiver. She wants a pair of floorstanders (wired) for the main listening room, and a second set, wired if possible, for another room. This is so she doesn't have to drill speaker cables through the walls. I'm thinking she's better off drilling, as good quality wireless speakers at a reasonable price don't exist that would work off the "B" speakers selector on the Sony. I'm thinking of Paradigm speakers for the floorstanders and other room if wireless is out.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Firstly, the wireless speakers would need to be active, since there is no way to transmit power wirelessly, so you lose a speaker cable but gain a mains cable to each speaker (of course, most rooms already have mains outlets).

If you did go wireless, there is the issue of analog vs. digital transmission, susceptibility to noise/interference, etc. I don't know of any off-the-shelf solutions aimed at the audiophile community. Anything she would use would have to meet FCC guidelines for home use (frequencies, transmission powers, etc.).

Why doesn't she consider a streaming solution? The link could then be wireless (uses Wi-Fi), but she would need to buy a streaming device plus amplifier/receiver, or a receiver which already supports streaming services.

Jerry likes this.
  3. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

Look into speakers with wisa technology. Obviously you would need wisa enabled speakers and a wisa transmitter. I know bang and Olufsen were one of the first companies to embrace the technology. I have no idea in terms of the sound quality but I believe other companies are jumping on board so maybe something more affordable than B&O can be found

Jerry likes this.
  4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll look into those options.

5. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

Sounds like a job for Sonos.....

Jerry likes this.
  6. Gary Bradley

Gary Bradley New Member

To find a perfect speaker for your home and office, consider the area of the location according to source:

"Why do you need to consider it? Wireless speakers differ in size and shape. You can go for the furniture-sized ones or just large pieces if you plan to use it in your living room. Go out for a barbecue at your backyard with the right speaker to use. "

Read full article:
    5 Tips for Buying Wireless Speakers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.