Wizard of Oz DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TSmithPage, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member Thread Starter

I've been thinking of adding Wizard of Oz to my DVD collection, primarily for my kids but also for me.:) I've seen very affordably priced copies from the version put out in 1999 (about $8.99 used), and know there was also a gift set put out that included the same DVD and a bunch of extras. I think there was an earlier DVD that didn't include many of the extras on the 1999 version, with the DVD cover of the earlier version featuring primarily Dorothy, and the most recent version featuring the cast walking arm in arm.

I'm assuming there has not yet been any multi-disc versions of this DVD on the market, and no one knows of any plans to issue such anytime in the near future? I'd hate to pick up a copy due to become immediately obsolete... Any Wizard of Oz experts here?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The kids won't care about the extras that much, you might as well go with the current edition. It has problems, but nothing that really gets in the way of enjoying this classic.

A shame Miss Gulch is still gonna be sure Toto is destroyed--the dark side of the ending, unspoken, seems obvious enough--but really holds up well. Good for what ails you, really.

ED:cool:

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It has not been announced, but I have trouble believing that WB will not eventually re-release this cash cow as a 2-disc set. The current DVDs of the film all look great. The most recent WB version (the 1999 version) has a lot more extra stuff than its predecessors, but does not include the original mono soundtrack, even though it says that it has both the new 5.1 and original mono mixes on the box art. To be fair, the 5.1 mix sounds better than most such efforts. They had directional stems for a lot of the score sessions and were able to create a real stereo mix for those passages.

If you can snag any of the current versions for less than $9, I would say go ahead. It will probably not be supplanted by anything else for at least a year.

Regards,

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

You haven't noticed all the color shift/fluctuation, Ken? It's really apparent on my copy, and distracts from the movie. Maybe I have a defective DVD?

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Didn't the movie suffer badly in storage?

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I noticed that in the theater when this version was released. It happened two or three times.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If you still have your laser disc player, try and find the Criterion or the MGM WIZARD OF OZ disc. (The MGM has a sky blue cover).

Not only does the MGM laser disc have the mono soundtrack, but it also has the music/effects track alone. Truly neat.

ALSO, the laser discs are the only versions that use an actual IB Technicolor print (from 1954). The DVD uses that trashy looking Eastman print struck from the composites. It's ok, but it's not IB Tech!

8. Sckott

Glad I didn't get rid of mine.... ;)

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That seems to be fairly common on some reissue prints; I always just chocked it up to the age of the print, since celluloid is an unpredictable creature prone to all manner of trouble.

As Steve points out, the LD versions are the best, not least for the flat mono soundtrack. It's not that the faux 5.1 DVD track is awful, but it can be distracting at times, often boxy sounding and distant(or just plain weird).

Visually, I don't think I've ever seen two versions that were identical. Like GWTW, I really don't know what the 'perfect' print would look like, colorwise, or in terms of contrast and sharpness. Each time these two get remastered, something is changed, and you can't help but wonder if it's in the ballpark of what it should look like, or just the latest stab in the dark by those doing the remastering. With Oz, the yellow brick road seems to be what video enthusiasts focus on, since its hue is apparently different with each edition released(this, and the sepia tone of the B&W sequences). I've heard the Criterion LD comes closest to what the original print would look like, but even that's open to question, since you would have to go back to 1939 and the film's premiere to have a reference point you might be able to trust. At least that is what I would guess.

ED:cool:

10. Ken_McAlinden

I'm currently getting by with two versions:

The WB DVD, and the MGM "Ultimate Oz" laserdisc. Other than normal film related variation, what color shifts are we talking about?

Another question for those who saw the theatrical reissue: Didn't they use the revived dye-transfer process to make prints for this release? Or was that only for those goofy 1.33:1 windowboxed in a 2.35:1 frame "Gone with the Wind" reissue prints? I've expressed reservations about doing video transfers from vintage dye-transfer prints before, but if they were making all new IB tech prints for theatrical release, I wonder why they wouldn't also make a lower contrast element specifically for video transfer as well?

Regards,

11. Sckott

I always liked the specials tacked onto the DVD too. Judy trying to get her takes down on tape....

12. Ken_McAlinden

A lot of that is on the 1999 WB DVD. I was surprised how much they crammed on there from the Ultimate Oz set. The DVD menus are kind of confusing when trying to figure out what is and is not included, though.

Regards,

13. Sckott

I agree. They made it "fun", but that removes discovery from a passing user. You have to cruise the DVD for a long time.

Easter eggs used to be a big deal. Now, no one wants to go egging for hours.

14. Ken_McAlinden

They have a couple of honest to goodness easter eggs on there, but the titles for their menu headings are so confusing that even a lot of the stuff that was supposed to be easily accessible advertised features is an annoyance to try to find.:realmad:

15. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

The WB version that I have has plenty of outakes from the original recording sessions. No video, just audio outakes from the recording studio, not the sound stage. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to these.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

For now, go with the DVD...Your Kids will love ya for it:) If they come out with a soupier souped up version, you know you'll get that anyway...In the interim your Kids are happy and when the Kids are happy so are we!:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.