WKRP coming to Antenna TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khojem, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The Bailey scene aired in syndication in Canada, at least.

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

From this comment on Antenna Tv's Facebook page and the comments below it, doesn't look like it-makes me wonder if the original episodes uncut with the original music are basically gone forever...

"So, overall impression of WKRP? Did you laugh? Unfortunately we can't do anything about the music. That's the version presently available."

3. Q-Authority

Q-Authority Forum Resident

Just watched some during a small WKRP marathon this Sunday. First episode I caught was my all time favorite, "As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly!", episode. Synchronicity at its best. Always loved Bailey too!:D

I meant to look out for the music cuts that been talked about, but somehow got sidetracked. Everything during the show seemed fine, so don't think anything was cut there, but I'll make a point of checking out the entire episodes next time to see for sure.

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

According to Wikipedia (so it MUST be complete!), here are the music deletions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKRP_in_Cincinnati

5. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Such a great show. It had a great effect on me as a rock and roll loving kid in the late 70s, early 80s. Still remember the turkey drop episode, and Les Nessman calling Billy Joel Billy Jo-El

6. Q-Authority

Q-Authority Forum Resident

Great info. I'll be on the lookout to see how/if they still vary.

Regarding: Turkeys Away – When Mr. Carlson sneaks up on Johnny in the booth, the music playing in the original broadcast was Pink Floyd's "Dogs" from their Animals LP (the album cover shown in the scene); this was replaced by generic music.[26] Additionally, the songs played immediately before and after the classic "turkey drop" scene ("Fun Time" by Joe Cocker, and as an in-joke, "It Came Out of the Sky" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, respectively) were also replaced.

I'm almost positive that they played the original Pink Floyd music on the episode that I just watched. I'm not necessarily completely versed in all Pink Floyd songs, but you can normally recognize one without having to try too hard, lol, and that one certainly sounded Pink Floydish to me. Carlson and Johnny talk/joke about Pink Floyd, etc. immediately after Carlson sneaks up on him, and is warned by a not-really-sleeping Fever 'not to touch the record that's playing'.

7. There used to be an amazing WKRP fan page that listed each and every music and scene change for every episode and even the differences between different syndication runs, but I can't find it anymore. Bummer. Somewhere, courtesy of that page, I have a DVD full of really bad looking episodes that had most of the original music, I think it was the first season from the original syndication run that just had stuff cut but not music changes.

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Most likely this will be the same syndication package that AmericanLife had a couple of years ago, which was the same one TVLand used.

A lot of music cuts, but strangely less as the seasons go on. So no Les Nessman primping for his date with Jennifer to "Hot Blooded". :shake:

There is a bit more music than is found on the horribly butchered Season 1 DVD set, though. They did manage to retain Pink Floyd's "Dogs" on "Turkey's Away", for example. (On the DVD, that scene is almost completely cut).

The Comedy Channel in Canada had a different syndication cut (still had music cuts, but the episodes were longer).

Here's an archived version of that page:

http://www.oocities.org/wkrpvote/music.htm

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.